TAT CN Header

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Poopy Foot

So, on Thursday afternoon I was walking Scooter when my ankle/top of my foot started to ache. It was kind of a weird, shooting pain and I was completely baffled by it -- I was walking the dog (which mostly entails standing around while he sniffs and rolls in things) for God's sake. So, I ignored it at bowling (and self-medicated with beer).

But it was really hurting yesterday. It doesn't hurt when I'm not on it, but when I walk, it's a sharp, shooting pain across the top of my foot, and this morning it was still paining me. What could it be?

I looked up some injury info online and in some running books and it could be several things: including a stress fracture. There's no swelling, no tenderness when touched, and as I mentioned, no pain when I'm not on it. If I have another injury that demands I sit out from running again, I'm going to throw up.

I didn't run my 6 miles this morning (too sleepy), and I took some ibuprofren and am planning on icing it. Perhaps I should not run at all today and see if the extra day of rest improves it. What do you guys think?

9 comments:

ws said...

That sucks...in my opinion, it is early enough in your training that a day off can help you heal and won't hurt you much in the long run. Besides, it is already like 90 degrees and sunny, so a run anytime in the next few hours would be miserably hot.

I don't know what it could be - if there is no swelling or tenderness it probably isn't a stress fracture or bone spur, which is a good thing.

Ocassionally I get a strange pain that shoots across the top of my foot, but it usually feels like my ankle wants to crack and it's caught in the middle of a crack. I usually just loosen up the middle laces on my sneakers and it relieves the pressure.

Erin said...

I say rest it. Something is wrong and your body is telling you to hold off. If it is a small fracture or bruise, give it a little time before aggrivating it.

Taunya said...

You are doing the right thing. Rest, ice and ibies. Give it a couple of days to see if whatever it is calms down.

Good luck to you!

J~Mom said...

I hurt my foot just like that last fall . It hurt kind of on the front side... anyway I rested it for 7 days (yuck) and it never bothered me again.

I am going to get an estimate on Corian counters and sink this week. I want to see if it's doable at all before I put in a new sink. I looooooooove Corian. What color is yours?

brunettechicagogal said...

I have no idea what it could be, but get it checked out ASAP, and don't run. Waiting too long to get injuries looked at makes them worse. I'm the Queen of Waiting. If you go to www.nyflyers.org and click on "June newsletter," there's an article by our speed coach about injuries and how they usually gradually sneak up on us via small hints vs. the conventional wisdom that they come out of nowhere.

L*I*S*A said...

I think an extra day of rest is an excellent idea. Let the body heal itself. You'll be fine without the day of running.

teacherwoman said...

Ahh the life of a runner. It seems that when something is finally better...it's not too long before something else hurts! I don't know what it could be... but I hope it gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I feel for you! I've experienced my fair share of foot injuries (and I'm only 20 for goodness sakes)! Some rest is probably just the ticket! And maybe a viewing of P&P? ;-)

Hope your foot feels better soon!

Marcy said...

I'm not sure, but I def think you're doing the right thing by sitting it out. Get that baby checked out!!