TAT CN Header

Saturday, June 30, 2007

AM Run

Got up at 4:30 this morning and was out the door for my long run before 5. Ran my scheduled 11 (ugh -- went alright, I don't feel great about it, but what counts is that it went, right?) and was home by 7 am. I was totally sleepy by the time I finished, so I showered and got back into bed for another 2 hours of sweet, sweet rest (and the tile guy arrived, which interrupted my sleep -- otherwise, I may have kept on sleeping!).

One thing I've been thinking about this week is how I scheduled my training. I decided to work beyond the novice program I used for Disney and am currently using Higdon's Novice 2 program (with some of my own modifications), and I am definitely pushing myself a little harder than I did for Disney. Which is kinda what I wanted to do, but now I'm wondering if I'm capable of pushing it. Especially with the long runs. If I were doing the novice program, I wouldn't be doing the 11 for another 2 weeks, and that seems more appropriate for my level of running.

Today, I'm not going to dwell on it, but I will contemplate changing some aspects of my schedule tomorrow -- maybe try to tailor it again so it fits me a little better. Also, I need to get in touch with a running group and see if I can get in on some group runs. Doing these long runs by myself is brutal (mentally).

16 comments:

Alison said...

Wow - I couldn't believe it when I clicked on your blog and the Saturday entry said you'd already run 11 miles at 9 a.m. That's awesome!

I wish I had been that motivated this morning...

Marcy said...

WHOOOOOOAAAAAA 4:30am?!? You? LOL!! Awesome job getting it done!! Is DH feeling the wrath of this early morning wakeup? LOL

MNFirefly said...

Great job, Jess. Don't beat yourself up and doubt yourself when it comes to pushing yourself. You know you can do it as long as you put the hard work and effort into it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job -11 miles is amazing!

Junie B said...

HOLY CRAP!! thats awesome Jess! you even beat me out the door!!

J~Mom said...

You so rock!! You are my kind of girl getting up, getting it done and then going back to bed. If I didn't have little tykes I would be all over that!

WAY TO GO on 11 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenniferlyn said...

Way tio go on the AM run!!!

I did Hal's novice program for Detroit - even though it w my 7th half marathon. I was going to move up, but I felt tht if I tweeked his progrm a little more, but not to the extent of the next level in his programs it would work better, so that iss what I have done.

Do what you re comfortble with, I always say. If you are not comfortable with the acceleration of the N2 program - stick with N1, and add in other things as you see fit.

You know your body best!!!!!

Unknown said...

I imitated your schedule with the 4:30 a.m. wake up and the 11 mile run done by 7 a.m., but I skipped the going back to sleep. I was equally impressed, but I was more impressed when I saw that you already had 7 comments on a Saturday morning post. Here's another.

teacherwoman said...

Wow! Nice job on getting out of bed before the sun for 11 miles! That is great! I struggled through my 3+ miles!

miss petite america said...

damn jess! up by 4:30??? that is some dedication.

Neese said...

look at you :) that's awesome, you're right it counts you got out there and got it done! feel good about THAT. excellent. :o)

David said...

What kinda cult are you freaks in that get up that early to run? I'm really impressed (and fairly jealous) that you can harness that kind of dedication. I sure could use a run or two that's not in the 90's. I guess I had a similar morning, except that I woke up early, peed, and went back to sleep.

Erin said...

I didn't realize you did your 11 yesterday! That's awesome! No wonder you were so sleepy last night.

Congrat's Jess...I wouldn't dwell on it, you did and you are still kickin'.

Taunya said...

4:30 is brutal anyway you slice it. I hear you about connecting with a running group on long runs. It's super hard to do them alone.

Mendy said...

Wow, Jess! That is fantastic... getting up that early and getting 11 done. I'm very impressed. I'm actually going through a huge running rut and am thinking of modifying as well. Hope you find the right program that works for you.

BTW, thanks for the kind comments on my blog. It really has been a rough week for me...

brunettechicagogal said...

I don't think now is the time to push yourself -- it's not a matter of confidence; it's a matter of experience. The best way to make sure you have a good race and prevent injuries is to train conservatively. For example, as far as pacing goes, "they" say to do long runs 30 to 60 seconds per mile slower than your targeted marathon pace. I trained for all 4 of my marathons at the same pace. Only now, after running for a year and a half at a faster average pace, would I push myself when it comes to a marathon.

Just my two cents.