TAT CN Header

Friday, May 18, 2007

Weighed Down

When I was training for Disney, I was able to shed a few extra pounds and maintain that weight really well. But since Disney, with my knee, my running has been inconsistent (and then I took all of April off) and I've noticed as of late that those few pounds have crept back onto my frame. All of my clothes still fit, but I can tell that a few pairs of pants are just a bit tight. I hopped on the scale this morning and confirmed that I've gained 4 pounds.

Now, don't mock me. For me, on my frame, 4 pounds can mean a lot (and this was first thing in the morning, by mid-afternoon, I will certainly weigh about one pound more). Remember, I'm only 3 apples high, so every extra pound really seems emphasized on my size. Plus, I can feel the extra weight when running and that's what bothers me.

So, over the next few weeks, I've determined that I need to shed those pounds before my "official" Chicago training commences (did you see I actually added it to my sidebar under "upcoming races"? I finally feel like I might be able to run it). This does not mean I want to diet (ick, hate that word), but I do know that I need to reduce some of my portions and try snacking on things a little healthier for me (like an apple instead of cupcakes, which brings me to a scientific innovation that's just waiting to happen: cupcake flavored apples!). Anyway, I'm always so full of resolve in the morning, but come evening, I'm like: "Screw it, bring on the cupcakes!" Cross your fingers that my resolve holds.

16 comments:

Junie B said...

i feel your pain. 5 lbs on me is a pant size basically.

i like being short most of the time...but its really hard when it comes to the whole weight thing..

Alison said...

I am right there with you! At 5'1", I have to work my butt off to lose every single pound. Also, there aren't a lot of clothes that fit someone who's my height, 120 lbs. and all muscle. All the clothing manufacturers assume that if you're that short, you must be prepubescent.

MNFirefly said...

I feel your pain. I am in the middle of trying to lose 12 lbs that gained during my 4 month running break...and it's slowly working.

ws said...

I'll send weight loss vibes southward....I haven't been able to drop any weight in the past 6 months of "training." However, June will be my month of "leaning" too (sounds better than dieting).

Eat the cupcakes midday, at least you'll have time to burn off the calories...

Krista said...

I know what you mean - it's kind of disturbing to realize how much 4 or 5 measly pounds can affect running and everything else. Good luck giving up the cupcakes and such.

Neese said...

I *so* feel my weight when I run -- it's SO hard to lose though, isn't it? perhaps we should have a community board where we all put what we've eaten for the day that might help, knowing i'd have to log a cupcake would shame me out of eating it in the first place

teacherwoman said...

I too am quite short, and a few pounds is a nasty feeling. I hate that when you get out to run and you can feel it! Yuck! Good luck!

Marcy said...

I hear ya! I'm between sizes so when I get that extra 5 pound bloat every month, I'm digging out the "fat" pants. Total suckage! You'll be able to do it, no prob!!!!

Mia said...

It's AWESOME to find a critical mass of short runners ;)

Good luck on the 4 lb weight loss! I'm right there with you

keith said...

I've always just thought the more I weighed, the better my workout when I ran.

And I just ate a Dove ice cream bar. I'm 4. With chocolate all over my face.

Tomorrow ought to be a good workout.

miss petite america said...

girl i KNOW exactly how you feel! but at thie point i have more than just a few to lose.

i'm finding that eating more in the morning helps curb hunger in the afternoon. so i eat a lot of healthy stuff in the morning and find that the cravings for crap come 3 pm don't happen. but it's only been a week :)

my dad says the a diet is the word DIE with a cross at the end.

J~Mom said...

I have lots to lose but 5 pounds is still a big difference to me. I have played with the same 5 pounds for the last few months and I feel so much better when it is off. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the 4 pounds! It is amazing how easy they can creep up on you and how hard it is to take them off. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the 4 pounds! It is amazing how easy they can creep up on you and how hard it is to take them off. Best of luck.

Erin said...

At least you all are in shape and healthy. For those of us couch potatoes...it's more like 10-20lbs. I have been working on a "lifestyle" change. I don't have the snacking problem but I do like my drinks.

I can say that I have successfully eliminated eating out for lunch every day of the week and feel much better. Now...more exercise, fruits, veggies, and water.

runliarun said...

Oh, in the one year and three months in which I got from mile 0 to running a marathon, I lost 2 lbs. Two tiny, puny, pitiful pound! That's because, as you said, dieting sucks.