TAT CN Header

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pet Food Uckiness Continued

For those who've already read the post below and who have already started asking questions about pet food, check out this article. There are many other articles and web pages (as well as books, etc) on the subject of pet food and its lack of regulation. If you're concerned about the practices of such pet food companies, I suggest you switch brands -- but this requires some investigation of its own, so be prepared to think and read labels.

Which, as I mention below, leads me to urge us (myself included) to apply the same kind of logic to our own diets.

3 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

I've gone over this numerous times. I switch between Felidae, Wellness and Wysong foods. The more whole products listed in the ingredients the better!

diana said...

A great website to research dog food is http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

They give you a rundown of ingredients and what they actually are, which is great so you can actually see what ingredients your dog food contains, and why it's good or bad. It's been really helpful.

Pretty much all of the main store brands are not that good. Science Diet, Iams, Purina, etc... I was feeding Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance, but after they were involved in the recall I switched to Castor and Pollux Organix.

Thinking about the stuff we eat scares me too! I'm trying to make small steps into eating less meat and more organic and natural foods. The cost is sometimes prohibitive, but I just do what I can.

Good luck with your dog food and people food!! :-)

Anonymous said...

We feed our cat (Mr. Jones) One Earth Naturals or Wellness formulas. Both have natural ingredients, and both cost more than regular store brands like Purina, Science Diet, etc. but it's worth it to us. He's our boy...and we want him with us for as long as possible!

We also pay close attention to what we eat too, and try to eat organic as much as possible, and like Diana, we limit how much meat we eat. It's easy though, living in Oregon. There are probably more natural, whole foods markets here in Eugene than there are in much larger cities in other places.