TAT CN Header

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hotel: Check. Flight: Check.

Okay, I guess I'm ready for Chicago! (Except for that whole "training" part.) Today I spent forever trying to find a hotel, and again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions, but it came down to the matter of just trying to find something. Everything in Chicago is either A.) Booked, or B.) $400 a night. So it didn't matter if I was trying to find something in Lincoln Park or on Michigan Ave, the results were the same, so I ended up finding something out by O'Hare -- the Marriott. Yup. Pretty special. (But the road it's on, is my last name -- I took that as a sign.)

But hey, for $150 a night this seems like a steal right now. Plus, being close to the airport will be convienent (the hotel has a shuttle) and it's very close to a train stop (looks like I can get on at the Cumberland station on the Blue Line and go straight downtown -- as someone mentioned, looks like that would be about a 45 minute ride), which as you guys suggested, is probably my best bet downtown on marathon morning anyway.

If anyone else out in Blogland is running Chicago and hasn't booked anything yet, do it now! Everything is filling up.

Which then brings me to airline tickets. On Monday, I checked fares and found some very reasonable flights, so I went back to those flights today, and for the price I wanted I had to act fast -- there were only a few seats left. I quickly booked those and now we're all ready: hotel is reserved, flights are booked, I am registered for the marathon (did that back in April -- also in the nick of time), and I guess all I need to do now is some running!

By the by, my husband and I are staying from Thursday, Oct 4 through Monday, Oct 8, so we will be part of the after-marathon celebrations on Sunday night! I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you RBFers; it's gonna be awesome!

11 comments:

Alison said...

I won't be running Chicago this year (it's too close to my Ironman), but I really want to come watch it. Chicago's only a 4-hour drive for me, so I'll probably just come in for the weekend and stay with friends.

J~Mom said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!!

runner26 said...

you're all set! hmmm, being a native chicago girl, I might be able to guess your last name based on your two clues (by ohare and the marriot--i am an avid o'hare visitor...) Don't worry, I won't tell ;)

I am hoping to be joining you for that race. Time will tell. I'm signed up and will probably make the trip regardless of my running status, but it'd be nice to be participating. Best of luck with the training component.

Theoutofshapeguy said...

Yay for getting a room! It will be a very exciting weekend!

ws said...

It gets so real when all of the little details like the hotel and the flight...then of course the miles need to get done. That part is more stressful.

Marcy said...

Sounds like you you're ready to roll now!!! ;D ;D

Anonymous said...

Jess, you are going to have an awesome time in Chicago...it's such a fun city. If you feel like a very tasty steak dinner after the marathon, go to Morton's of Chicago on Wacker Drive. My little sis is one of the managers there...so I'm partial :)

Also, Chicago Institute of Art...best damn art museum in the country.

Anonymous said...

Oh...and of course, you will do great in the marathon!

Talking about Chicago, one of my favorite cities in the whole world, or at least the part of the whole world I've seen, got me sidetracked off the true reason for your trip!

miss petite america said...

so jealous.

MNFirefly said...

That's awesome. Looking forward to cheering on race day!

brunettechicagogal said...

Even if I don't recover from PF, I'll be there. Can't wait to meet you. And I'm glad you found a hotel; your commute won't be bad at all. I suggest revisiting some of the downtown hotel websites every so often, though, in case something opens up, assuming you didn't pay up front and simply reserved a room out by O'Hare.