TAT CN Header

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It was a Mistake to...

...run my fiver at 3 pm today.

Despite the cooler temps, it's still in the 70s in the afternoon and with the midday sun beating down on me, I was beat part way through the run.

Mile 1: 9:29
Mile 2: 9:20
In mile 3, I knew I had to scale back on pace because I was already feeling hot, tired, and parched.
Mile 3: 10:46
Mile 4: 10:28
After those 2 conservative miles, I was able to recover some and my last mile was slightly improved.
Mile 5: 9:44

Total Time: 49:49

I was SO thirsty when I got done and my fingers were swollen -- so I knew I was dehydrated. Certainly, I should not be running in the afternoon sun, I just don't handle it well, but I should have also taken into account the fact that I have been taking my allergy medication the past few days and that stuff also dehydrates me. Oh well, I still did the 5 miles within 50 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.

But the 3 pm time frame was also a mistake because my 5 mile route takes me right by the high school. So, yeah, me running in my sports bra and shorts right when school is letting out led to some unwanted attention from passing teenagers in their cars and on the sidewalk. Not too smart Jess, not too smart.

9 comments:

Laura N said...

Ooh I hate running thirsty. That happened to me once this summer when I forgot my water bottle. It's miserable. Good for you for sticking it out.

Erin said...

At least you ran it and pushed through it! I can see the kids gauking at you in my mind. LOL! Not a wise choice but it beats running during rush hour.

Wes said...

Lucky teenagers! LOL!!! Really, you need to slow down 1 minute per 10 degrees above 60, per his Gallowayness :-) I personally don't care anything to drink under 10 miles, even in summer, but then again, I learned I got a lot to learn :-)

Mendy said...

I can so relate to running around that time (although, not in sports bra) as we live RIGHT next to a HS and it sucks when I'm out running. It's also a busy road too.

At least you got out there and did the run.

Marathoner in Training said...

I love the cold weather, kind of like AZ weather. It gets below 80 and we need to break out the parka. I have to concour with Wes, lucky teenagers!

keith said...

I'm all about carrying the water, even if it's just for an hour long run.

Iron Jayhawk said...

I can't believe how warm it is in your neck of the woods! I'm jealous. :) I'm sure the gawky teenage boys loved the 'show.' Just remember to bring a water bottle next time. :)

David said...

I hear you, girl! I get all kinds of looks when I run in a sports bra past the high school.

I think I would pass out right now if the weather suddenly snapped back up to the mid-70s and I was out running. Funny how our bodies adapt to the temps so much, and punish us for anything out of the ordinary.

BTW, I think you were missing wrath, which was the last sin, after he opened the box.

J~Mom said...

It's so warm there! Nice job on your five miles! I hate that swollen finger feeling though!