TAT CN Header

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Idiocy is...

...making the same errors over and over and failing to learn from previous mistakes; thus, I believe myself to be an idiot.

You may recall that last week, mid week, I made the mistake of running 5 miles at 3 pm and feeling absolutely awful because of the afternoon heat. Well...

Today, the particulars were slightly different -- 3 miles, not 5; 4 pm, not 3 pm -- yet the same feeling of exhaustion under the afternoon's sun after two miles and I felt spent. I walked some in the 3rd mile and still finished the 3 under 30 minutes, but I really need to learn to be patient and wait for dusk.

1: 9:21
2: 9:31
3: 10:44

Total Time: 29:36

Maybe a few more runs where I feel so hot my head will catch on fire and then I'll learn, and I can graduate from "idiot" to "moron."

13 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

I would not clasify you as an idiot, maybe slow at times. You were just anticipating the sun setting sooner than it actually did. Great times anyways.

Unknown said...

shrug

Ian said...

I just ran 4 miles on the treadmill because there's 7+ inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down.

It's weird hearing you talk about dealing with heat under those conditions. You wanna' trade weather for a week or two?

Marcy said...

LOL I was thinking the same as Vanilla. I'll trade for a week!!

Stuart said...

Yep weather here has taken a nose dive, mid 40's at 5pm in SoCal...it's not good and I have still to put my 6 in so it should be high 30's by the time I head out around 9pm!

Can you say tights and beanie!

Mendy said...

I'll keep my weather - not too cold, not too hot. Just right! Still great you did it, though. I have yet to run in 6 days. I'm feeling it too...

Jess said...

I agree with Vanilla and Marcy. It's definitely weird to be reading about warm weather when it's hanging around in the 30's and 40's here. Hey at least I don't have snow!

Nancy said...

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? I guess this is different, the not learning part. Not to worry, it happens to all of us. I have to learn the hydration one every so often. I bet you don't do this a 3rd time...

Mary Gee said...

Zero Degrees, lots of snow. I am not heading out. But I remember last summer when I said I would rather be running in the winter. sigh. Hot weather is hard to run in, cold weather and snow are almost impossible to run in.

Triseverance said...

Waaa Waaa warm weather :) Dehydration can lead to less then stellar warm weather running, do you carry water. I carry a hand bottle even on short runs in the summer. Don't stress about it just keep plugging away.

Wes said...

Ha! You are not an idiot nor a moron. I mean you play CHESS :-) I think it is a good idea to learn to run when its hot, cold, your stomach is full, empty, etc, etc. Get out there and get'er done. Learn to be patient by factoring the temperature into your running times.

J~Mom said...

I can't tell you how many times I want to bonk my self on the head for things like that. It could be heat or nutrition but I repeat the same mistakes too.

teacherwoman said...

I would find it really hard to wait until dusk... especially if I have an open afternoon!