TAT CN Header

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Things

Now that I have plenty of spare time I get to spend that time doing two of my favorite things: reading and running.

Generally, I would guess that I average reading between 50-60 books a year (although, I'm not entirely sure, but part of me is thinking of actually keeping track in 2008); I read approximately a book a week (sometimes more, sometimes less -- so, like I said, it's an approximation). But, this is officially my 5th day on break and I finished "The Golden Compass" and I read "The Complete Persepolis" and am currently reading "Atonement." The theme of my book selections as of late seems to be books that are currently adapted as movies, but seeing as I haven't seen any of them as movies, they're all new to me.

So, a brief review of them: "The Golden Compass" was good (it was no "Harry Potter," which all young adult fantasy will now and forever be compared to, but was still good). It took me until about halfway through to really get into it, and then the last 150 pages or so were pretty exciting and it ended without a resolution, so I'll probably read the other 2 in the series so I can see what happens. "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi was REALLY good and I highly recommend it. It's a memoir told in comic book form, but I hesitate to all it a graphic novel, since it's not fiction and the illustrations are not really reminiscent of a comic book. It's best compared to Art Spiegelman's "Maus I and II" (which if you haven't read those, they are a must). Lastly, I am reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, and I'm not far in it, so I can't make any definitive judgment's yet about the story, but so far, the writing is really rich.

Thus, I spent most of my day in the comfy chair in the living room reading, but this afternoon I also made time for my scheduled 3 miler, and it went well, a little faster than yesterday:

1: 9:14
2: 9:23
3: 9:30

Total Time: 28:09

I would like to have seen more consistency in the miles, but overall, I was pleased with the splits. Tomorrow, I have 5 on the schedule, and I think I may try to get up and do it first thing in the morning, but you guys know how I am with morning runs, and with the cooler temps and no work, it's hard to push myself to get it done early. But we shall see.

Anyway...back to the comfy chair and the awaiting books!

21 comments:

J~Mom said...

The problem I have is that when I start a book I can't put it down until I finish. So that means nothing else gets done for 2-3 days. I spread it out a bit between starting new books. Thanks for the reviews! And great run!

MN Mom said...

I know how you love reading but wow you do read a lot. And knowing how you love your books, buy them and won't even lend them--and I assuming here, that you keep them all--where in God's name can you continue to put all those books?

ws said...

I'll try to write a better comment later, but I loved Atonement. I read it 5 years ago on a flight home from London - I think I started and finished it on the plane. It's a great book. I haven't seen the movie yet though.

MNFirefly said...

Nice splits, Jess!

Neese said...

ah i wish i had some reading time, i hope to have that over christmas break/vacation from work...

excellent splits!!

Laurel said...

I love the Maus series! I saw Art Spiegelman speak at the Miami Book Fair a couple of years ago. He was so funny.

Maybe I will pick up Persepolis.

ws said...

oh, and good splits on that 3 miler, btw

RunnerGirl said...

I asked Santa for a copy of Atonement this year. I'm a crazy reader too, everyone in my life gives me crap about how many books I read! Have you checked out Oprah's new selection, Pillars of the Earth? I read it years ago and its always been one of my favorites.

runner26 said...

Nice run! Best of luck with tomorrow's fiver.

L*I*S*A said...

Great job. I think you had consistency with all of 15 seconds between all your splits. Way to go!

teacherwoman said...

I wish I had the break you did, but I guess I will take my week and a half as it is!

So, are you one of those that buys books and reads them, or check them out at the library. I personally love to own the books I have read!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a lot of books. I wish I was better about reading books rather than PT journals all the time.

Nice job on the run.

sRod said...

Looks like we have similar tastes in books. Atonement is a good one...but I have my issues with it.

P.O.M. said...

I haven't read a good book in a while. I keep picking up trashy stuff lately.

I just started "Love in the time of Cholera." It was tough to start, but getting interesting half way thru.
Oh. I loved Antonement, too. Also have not seen movie yet.

Unknown said...

Good job getting those runs in...

keith said...

You should start a blogging book club.

Or at least put the books you've read throught the year on a sidebar of your blog. i am always looking for suggestions of books to read.

Margo said...

Loved Maus I & II!! Looking forward to some time off so I can read a few books I've had stored away too.

Midwest said...

Cool to see someone else who loves graphic novels. If you haven't read Blankets yet, definitely pick it up.

Agate Lake Girl said...

I have 2 or 3 books planned for my break - I can't wait. Thanks for the recommendations!

Mendy said...

When I first started reading your entry about books (before I even got to your Atonement reading mentioned), I was going to ask you if you've read it. I saw or heard it mentioned that it was a good book, and was going to probably get it sometime after Christmas, so really interested in hearing your review of it, if you don't mind.

You're 3 milers are very consistent! I'd like to get back down to those digits in a month or 2. I used to be there, and am working back to it, hopefully.

Viv said...

Great splits on the 3.
Looking forward to the "Atonement" review. sounds like a great break thus far.