TAT CN Header

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Back to the Regularly Scheduled Running

I have kept the A1A Half Marathon in mid-February in the back of my mind schedule-wise for the past 6 weeks or so, yet I haven't been "training" particularly for that race. And without a schedule, my running is a bit, well, erratic. Take November, for instance: one week I ran 33 miles and the next? 12 miles. Clearly, Jess needs a schedule for consistency's sake.

So, today I sat down and made myself a training schedule for the next nine weeks preceding the half marathon. The schedule is a combined product of several schedules I've been looking at and my own expertise; thus, I am planning on running 5 days a week with the long run on Saturday (and my long run distance will peak with 13 miles) and my rest days on Friday and Sunday. So, starting tomorrow, I commence that schedule with a 3 miler, and since I have the next 3 weeks off, it should give me the necessary time to re-establish a solid routine.

Even though I have planned for Sunday to be a rest day, I didn't run yesterday, so I felt like I needed to get out and do something today; therefore, I ran 3 miles this evening. I didn't take the Garmin along, so I don't have splits to report, but I can tell you that it went well and felt good.

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to have a running plan; it makes the running feel so much more organized and purposeful. I feel more focused already.

13 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Friday and Sunday's are good rest days! Looks like a good schedule!

David said...

Yeah, a plan can really help to maintain the focus needed for success. I have a hard time sticking to a rigid schedule, but do keep a plan in my head for what needs to get done that week. If I have to double up (within reason), then I guess I just wind up training fatigued. Should help me when I race fresh, I hope.

ws said...

I can totally appreciate your need for a schedule and you've got plenty of time before A1A.

If you want company on some long runs I should be available...

Unknown said...

I am totally with you on liking a plan. Right now i'm not training for anything and I don't know what to do on a day by day basis (being sick hasn't helped). I was trying to explain to my husband that I need a goal of some sort. He asked why can't I just do it to be healthy. I could, I just need a training plan for being healthy. LOL.

keith said...

Plans are great. They give me something to think about when I'm not running.

I can't believe you have 3 weeks off. So jealous.

Is the A1A the same A1A mentioned in that classic "Ice, Ice, Baby?"

Too Cold!

nwgdc said...

no no no no, i said for the first time THIS WEEK! i'm way behind for this year, but i definitely have seen it before!

Stuart said...

Failing to plan is planning to fail!

I am such a control-freak cheeseball! having said that, I am now two weeks into mine for Leona Divide.

Debbi said...

I completely agree about needing a plan. Good for you, and we'll be anxious to follow along as you train for A1A.

Triseverance said...

I completly agree, without some sort of structure I am lost.

J~Mom said...

I have to have a plan to stick to any kind of structure. Looks like you have a nice schedule set!

P.O.M. said...

Plans are good!
I have 6 weeks until my half and i am totally off my schedule. But I'm getting back on - need to just revise a bit.

Rich said...

Hey, do you know David? http://blockisland.blogspot.com/

I think he's running A1A too.

Mendy said...

I'm all for a plan too. I have to have one. It tells me when to run, and I do it. Seems easier for me anyhow.