TAT CN Header

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fall Fling 5K Race Report

This morning's race wasn't a PR, but it was still a good race, and it was a personal course record. Two years ago, I ran this 5K as part of a challenge from my friend Ryan -- we wagered to see who could set a new PR for themselves, and I'm sad to report that he won, and I had to buy him breakfast. Damn him. I'm still bitter. Kidding.

Anyway, at that time, I ran this course in 30:27.

This morning I ran it in 28:51. Granted, that's about a minute slower than the new 5K PR I set at the Weston 5K back in July, but like I said, still not too shabby.

The splits were like so this morning:

Mile 1: 9:03
Mile 2: 9:09
Mile 3: 9:16
Mile .16 (yeah, I guess a bit of weaving, huh?): 1:21

So, all in all I was happy I got up this morning and did the race, but I do have one bit of bitching to do. Sure, it was warm this morning (car reported outside temp to be 82 degrees at 6 am), but that's not my gripe; my real complaint about this race is one that applies to nearly all small, local 5Ks: Timing chips and the lack of mats at the start. What is the validity of the timing chip if there is no start pad? The whole point of chips is so that people don't crowd the start line and so that their individual race time won't start until they cross the start line, but if there are no start pads, then their start time is the gun time.

Personally, I mostly go by my Garmin because I'm pretty exact with hitting the start/stop, but it would be nice to have an accurate chip time as well. If these races aren't even gonna use the start pads, then what's the point in chipping the event? Is it psychological? To trick all of us into not crowding the start line? Are they just using the chips as crowd control?

30 comments:

Ryan said...

Good Work. Now that you are a professional racer, these hillbilly races must aggravate you. Maybe the lack of the start pad was the reason you lost to me two years ago? I guess we'll never know. Damn that breakfast was fine.

TonyP said...

Great job !!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the race!

I've never run a race that had chips, but no starting pad. Most of the smaller races I run don't bother with either one.

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

good job! keep it up!!!

Marcy said...

Ohhhhh Jess that's AWESOME!! CONGRAYS chica!!

I've never ran into that prob (the chip timing with no start pads) but personally I think it's stupid LOL

keith said...

Nice job on the 5k...

want less crowds?

run trails! you'll never stress about your finishing times again.

Marci said...

Wow you are a trooper to race in those temps. Great job, I need to get a 5K done sometime soon!

Erin said...

Good job on the race. It's still a little warm for you to pull out all the stops. Save it for the Turkey Trot because it will make your turkey taste that much better!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the race.

E said...

Yay! Nice job!

Laurel said...

Nice race Jess.

Anonymous said...

Well done. Way to get up early and run. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

nwgdc said...

I completely agree on the timing chip issue. Last summer I signed up for a race, and when I heard it was chip timed, I didn't go to the front of the start line, figuring that it was...well...CHIP TIMED!
I really don't get it!
Way to get out and run!

Unknown said...

Nice job on the 5K. Woot!

Carly said...

Nice job! I have wondered the same thing about the timing chips when there is not a starting pad. It bugs me too. I would be lost without my Garmin.

L*I*S*A said...

I completely agree. I think chips are worthless unless there is a starting mat.

runner26 said...

Nice race! Glad you set a new course record. As for the chips, I've never come across a race with no starting pads, and it rally makes no sense. According to championchips website, an advantage for the chip-wearing participants is: "Net times;the ChampionChip can register every individual start time, even when participants are at the back of the pack."

Marlene said...

Very weird that they go to the trouble of chip timing, but don't bother with a starming met... wtf?!

Anyway, congrats!! Great job kicking off your fall race season.

Stuart said...

Congrats on a race PR. Yes that's a bit weird to have chips and no mats, it really makes no sense at all

teacherwoman said...

Nice job, Jess!

Aron said...

yay good job jess!!! i agree with you on the timing chips, so annoying when they dont have the start mat too!

GAH 82 degrees at 6am :(

Anonymous said...

Maybe he got food poisoning from breakfast - funny. OK, I am horrible - but a course PR rocks!

Razz said...

B**ch, b**ch, b**ch...that's all you ever do! :)

Nice job on the PR.

Nancy said...

Nice running, Jess. I'd love to run those times. Glad you found your mojo and did this one!! I am at a loss on the chip with no mat myself.

Lily on the Road said...

Whoot, good job on your time in that heat! Amazing!!

Utica Boilermaker mats failed at the start line this year...so you just never know!

Hope you had a celebratory BEvERage afterwards

;^)

P.O.M. said...

Gerat job on the HOT run.
I have not had that problem but my last 5k was not chipped time. I swear they shorted me a couple seconds. When I crossed the finish line it said 25:15. My "official time" was like 25:32 or something. Damn them.

Teacher Pursuits said...

Great job! After the late summer slack I've been in, I am not so sure I could finish in under 30! Oye. And, I get SO annoyed with the small time races and their rinky dink timing mechanisms... like a STOP WATCH? Really... c'mon now!

sRod said...

Congrats Jess!

Mendy said...

Great job on the race, Jess! I agree about the timing mats.

Viv said...

Great job, you are right the mojo is back baby! ?You are waiting for me to come back out next July 4th to getch another 5K PR are'nt ya? There is some bad azz english for u.