TAT CN Header

Saturday, September 06, 2008

So Long Ike!

It now looks as though Ike will entirely miss this region of FL. Each time the forecast gets updated, the forecasters have Ike steadily moving further south -- so the path now takes the storm through Cuba and then into the gulf -- so it looks like we will be in the clear. That's a relief.

The advantage to hurricanes over other natural disasters is that we get plenty of warning, but sometimes that warning can work people into a panic frenzy before it's really necessary. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a hurricane over a tornado anyday, but all I'm saying is that it's not always great to see that projected path ahead of time when it's subject to so much alteration.

Aside from that small flurry of excitement, not too much else is new. Yesterday afternoon I did not nap as I said I would; instead, I did my household duties: cleaning, laundry, dinner, etc. I like to get the house cleaned on Friday afternoons so we don't have to worry about it over the weekend, and I can just relax all weekend. It's like in "The Great Outdoors" when John Candy's wife says: "I just can't relax in filth." That's me. I like to have a clean house to start my weekend fresh.

Anyway, after I tended to all the chores, we had a really nice, relaxing Friday night: We had a big dinner, watched "Bee Movie" (which was really cute and quite funny), and then Jerry went and got Cake Batter ice cream from Cold Stone. It was great. Today, we went and ran some errands: Took Scooter to Petsmart to pick up a few dog necessities, and then went to the bowling alley Pro Shop to order my new bowling ball. My old ball has a crack in it and is chipping around the thumb hole (I guess I was NOT supposed to keep it in my car's trunk for 3 years -- something about the FL heat being bad for it...), so it will work for our first night of league (on Monday!), but it needs to be replaced. The new ball should arrive sometime this week. It's gonna be shiny!

As for the rest of the day, we really don't have anything going on. We're waiting for a friend to have her baby at any time (she went into the hospital yesterday to be induced), but other than that, I think it's gonna be a quiet weekend.

At some point, I need to run, but to be honest, I am really in need of some chillin' so I'm in no hurry to hit the pavement. Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend! Check ya later.

12 comments:

TonyP said...

I say you celebrate Ike missing your area with a few beers and some college football !

Anonymous said...

Glad Ike will miss you guys.

I'm stuck inside with two squirrelly kids thanks to Hanna. Trying really hard not to lose my mind.

Oh, and I've ordered the perfect weather for you for DC. We have a beer festival that weekend, so nice and cool with a little bit of cloud would work for us as well. We have about a 50/50 chance. The year Jones was born, that weekend was perfect. Last year that weekend was so hot that someone died at the 10 miler and the rest of us were absolutely miserably hot running. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear Ike stayed away!

Enjoy your chill time. That's what the weekends are for!

...now I am craving ice cream... hmm.

E said...

That's good that Ike won't affect you. We watched Bee movie as well - so funny! Have a great rest of the weekend1

Laurel said...

I was excited about moving to Pennsylvania in time to avoid Hurricane Season. Unfortunately, I am sitting in my house right now watching all the rain and wind from Hannah outside my window!!! WTF? Still not as bad as a FL though.

Glad to see IKE is staying south.

Marci said...

I am glad the hurricane will be missing you. Hope you have a great weekend!

Wes said...

Damn Ike! Not sure where he is going to drop all that rain now!!

sRod said...

Whoa, you're bringing back some post-Andrew hurricane season paranoia. Glad that Ike is staying south of you.

L*I*S*A said...

Glad that you're having a chill weekend. Also glad that Ike won't bug you.

I WILL take a tornado over a hurricane, though. Lived through Fran in Raleigh, NC and it scairt the bejeesus out of me!

RunnerGirl said...

Oooh, that ice cream sounds yummy! Glad Ike missed your area, enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Margo said...

I am so like you in that I hate seeing the house a mess when I'm trying to relax! I think Ike is coming our way...

Gaslight ;-) said...

I'm glad he missed you, as the Gator State deals with its share of cyclones, but dammit, if he didn't come see us!