TAT CN Header

Monday, September 29, 2008

Wardrobe Flexibility

Thanks for the comments on the post below; it seems the majority votes for the "lucky" red race shorts, so I'll probably go with those. As per the questions about temp and the necessity of the shirt: The weather forecast for Sunday morning in DC calls for a low of 56 and a high of 75. To me, that is absolutely perfect running temps. Granted, the race doesn't start until 8 am, so it will be getting warm as we start, but to me, that will still be significantly cooler than here in FL.

Thus, my plan with a shirt is flexible. If it feels chilly to me that morning, I'll start with the shirt on, and if I get warm, I can always shed it and run in just my sports bra. Also, I will be on the lookout at the expo for something that may be more suitable based on my perception of the conditions once I arrive in DC, so who knows? I may find a shell top or a singlet that's more appropriate for race day conditions. It's kinda hard altering running environments and guessing about what sort of gear will be necessary, so I'm packing a few options and plan on being flexible come race day morning.

But consider that for me, 56 degrees first thing in the morning is gonna feel dang chilly. Granted, I think that's an awesome temp for running, but for standing at the start, I can guarantee I'll be chilly -- I'm used to running in temps that are pretty steady between 82-92 degrees. And as far as the high of 75? Please, our A/C in our house is set at 76 degrees. So, if I can run in conditions that will be, at the warmest, the temp of my air conditioned house, I'll be very pleased.

17 comments:

Jess said...

My cousin is running the Army 10-miler in DC on Sunday too!!

What a coincidence!

Wishing you lots and lots of luck!

Aron said...

yay for the lucky shorts!! its always good to be flexible with the weather especially... back up options are a good thing!

Marcy said...

56 is chilly to me (now. I'll be changing my mind and thinking it's warm once winter comes LOL) also, so I can only imagine how that feels to you HAHA

Wes said...

That will be great running weather. I think you should run in one of those speedos the marathon chicks wear ;-) LOL....

chia said...

Lucky shorts are most def sheer hawtness! Have a great race... I super-*heart* mid-fifties starts!

Viv said...

Running in outside cooler than you a/c'd house what a thought. I agree with Wes you would be super cute in those bikini thingys.

Are you going to DC just for the weekend or extending the stay?

Anonymous said...

Dammit - I thought those shorts were orange. So sorry that I now have to subtract a coolness point. No worries though, you're still well above the bar. Good luck on the race.

teacherwoman said...

Hell, it was 43 degrees this morning when I headed to the gym at 4:45am. Now, I know you will not be running at that time, but it was 46 degrees yesterday when I headed to the gym at 10:30am! Hello Fall!

Keeping your options open is a good plan!

Running Jen said...

56 is my perfect running temperature! That's why I love running early in the morning in the winter months here in FL, love those 50-ish degree temps!

Hope you have a great race!

Laurel said...

Good luck at the race! I think the red shorts were the right decision.

I think the shirt will be fine. You'll be cool in the 50-60's at the start.

I am still having problems with my running wardrobe and I have been here 2 months now. As it gets cooler I am getting more and more confused. I actually have to go shopping for PANTS! Can you believe that? Haha, I have officially left Florida behind.

ws said...

hope you have a good trip to DC, when do you leave? I hear you on the cold weather thing, last year I wore long running pants (the swishy kind) which I threw away at the start to keep myself warm...

Unknown said...

Good call to go with the lucky shorts.

Sorry to see the photos from the accident below. I hope the damage is all fixed up now. Hopefully the beer and the rockband helped.

runner26 said...

Good luck! I also think that the orange shorts go just fine with the black shirt. And if they are the "good" ones, then why not? Also, it's October and some say black and orange are the colors of the month ;)

J~Mom said...

I agree that 56 is going to feel cold!! Good thinking on the shirt!

sunshine said...

Hey chica - good luck on your race. I'm sure those lucky red shorts will do the trick! :)Go kick some butt!

Unknown said...

flexibility is good. have a good time iwth the run!!

E said...

Good luck and have fun!