TAT CN Header

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Crappy Run

Today was supposed to be a 10 miler, and when I went out, it was 90 degrees. That's not an extreme temp here, but I decided to head out around 6 pm instead of waiting until the sun begins to set around 7 pm like I usually do, and that was a mistake. I don't do well in heat + sun. 2 miles in, I knew I made a mistake in the timing and I was paying for it.

I got to 2.5 miles and was spent. There was no specific thing wrong, no dizziness or nausea or anything, but I just felt zapped. I know that sounds like a vague complaint, but that's the best I can do -- I was completely drained. So, I turned back and figured I'd take a shorter route home and make it 4 miles. But at 3.5, I just couldn't go anymore and I walked the last half mile home.

It's frustrating when a planned run doesn't go as planned, especially when there's no specific complaint, but I can't do anything about it now, so I showered, made dinner, and now I'm gonna chill for the rest of the evening. No worries. I think I will set the alarm for early tomorrow morning, and try again. Hopefully it will be cooler then and I can get my 10 miles done. That's all a girl can do when things don't go well.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the run goes better tomorrow.

Wes said...

Yea, I've been feeling a bit zapped too. Good thing tomorrow is a new day ;-)

Unknown said...

Some days are better than others. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Marci said...

I can't believe the temps you deal with. If you ever come north to do a race, you will fly!

Christie said...

Some days it's just like that, I guess. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

J~Mom said...

I hope tomorrow is better! I know the zapped feeling all too well.

teacherwoman said...

Well, I hope your 10-miler attempt tomorrow (today) will be better then today! Don't worry, we all have those days.

runner26 said...

I totally know how you feel! I think you made the right decision. Hopefully today's run goes as planned.

Erin said...

Today's the last day of summer so maybe mentally you can channel the cooler fall temps. Good luck on today's ten.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you felt on your run. I had a few of those days during the summer. The heat can just suck everything out of you. Hope the weather strats to cool a bit.

Hang in there!

Viv said...

Glad you handled it well. There was no nausea and vommitting is that what is required to have a justified reason to cutt the run short? Cause I can always purge...LOL!