TAT CN Header

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Failed 10 Miler: Take Two

After yesterday's unsuccessful 10 miler, I determined to get up early this morning and get it done at dawn. My alarm went off at 5:30 am, and I got up and was ready and out the door by 6 am. At first I felt good, but then that feeling quickly dissolved and by mile 2 again, I felt the same feeling I did yesterday: total fatigue. I went about a tenth of a mile more and then threw in the towel and turned around to make it an even 4. A slow, crappy 4. Those 2nd two were uncomfortable and tiring, and my mind was cluttered with frustration and disappointment, despite my best efforts to shove those thoughts away.

On the one hand, I'm thankful that the reason neither run didn't go well isn't because of injury or illness. While that would give me a concrete reason for the poor runs, I don't want to deal with either potential problem. However, on the other hand, it would be nice to have a concrete reason instead of just a vague "I didn't feel good" and "I felt just completely zapped" because neither provides a specific reason, and that makes it feel like I should have been able to work past it.

I don't have a lot of experience with running, but I have been doing this for more than 3 years, and that's been enough for me to experience some great runs and races, as well as some truly terrible ones. And I know that the terrible ones don't always need a reason to go badly; there can be a combination of reasons, both mental and physical, but ultimately they "just happen." And usually I can dismiss them as part of the running process and move forward without being too hard on myself.

But, it's one thing to do that with one bad run; two in a row is a much tougher mental hurdle because those bad runs erode the confidence and create self-doubt. But putting them behind me is what I have to do in order to not carry them as baggage into my upcoming runs.

So, this morning after I got home, I took a shower, and crawled back into bed for 2 hours. When I woke up, Jerry was making pancakes and the smell of syrup combined with the scent of fresh coffee helped wash my memory clean of the weekend's failed runs. So, I had two bad runs this weekend, but now I put them behind me, and I move forward.

31 comments:

MN Mom said...

Jess this is unrelated to your post of losses but much more important! (in my opion) thank God for your gift of the sleep sheep! Rylee must hav it on loud within 4 inches of her ear to relax at any given time. As we speak Rylee and Lamie-pie are tucked into my left arm so I could give you this brief but heartfelt thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I think this means you need a recovery week. It wasn't meant to be.

mmmmmm pancakes

audgepodge said...

I had something similar happen to me last week during a half marathon... I was just so tired! I'm surprised I actually finished but I remember feeling so tired and fatigued for what would be a slow pace for me. Turns out I had a cold coming on which was in full force by the next day. Maybe something similar for you? Hopefully some more rest helps!

J~Mom said...

I am learning about recovery weeks like Lisa mentioned. Getting back in bed sounds so nice!

chia said...

Def need more beer.

For those alcohol soluable vitamins.

Ya.

Sorry about this weekend's crap runs! If it makes you feel any better, I'm not having much luck making my 12 happen either!

Anonymous said...

Great attitude! What great smells to wake back up to. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Unknown said...

That has been me this week. A 3 miler was hard to finish. Blah. oh well, moving on ;-)

Unknown said...

This may sound cliche, but two crappy runs are better than no runs at all. Sounds like you were well taken care of after your 2 hour nap.

Anonymous said...

It happens to the best of us. Heck I took a month off because I couldn't get it together. Get some rest and I'm sure you'll be run 10 milers with ease in no time. Maybe a good massage would help - get the energy back into the legs.

teacherwoman said...

Just think of it as a bad weekend. Your long run later in the week will go better!

Marcy said...

Don't sweat it chica, I KNOW you'll be back on track soon. ;D ;D

J said...

I am sure you will be back on track soon!

runner26 said...

a most excellent attitude! it sucks to have two bad ones in a row, but you're handling it well. Hopefully your next run will be a winner!

ws said...

hope your pancakes were full of sugary goodness and you had a relaxing day.

RunnerGirl said...

Pancakes sound so yummy right now, maybe I'll have to have some for dinner!
Sorry about the not so stellar runs, it just seems to happen sometimes.

Cindy said...

hi! I've stalked for way too long, time to leave a comment! Sorry about the derailed runs, sometimes you just feel like crap. but waking up to pancakes and syrup sounds gooooood.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

your positive attitude makes me smile! Great job!

Aron said...

you have an amazing attitude!! great job for putting them behind you and moving on... so sweet of jerry to make yummy pancakes :)

L*I*S*A said...

Yep, there are times when we just don't have it for whatever reason. Hang in there...your perfect run is on its way.

Laurel said...

Mmm, homemade pancakes. You're a lucky girl!

I bet this has to do with the crap South Florida weather in late summer. It will get better. Fall/winter is right around the corner.

You have a great attitude about it. Get your rest, feel better.

MNFirefly said...

So sorry that you had a rough run. Take your losses and recover for the next run.

Marlene said...

I know that feeling...keep at it and it'll pass!

Aileen said...

Kick ass...good for you!! Moving on now...you can do it :)

E said...

You have the right attitude about moving forward. I also agree with recovery weeks.

Crissy Rae said...

What can you do, right? Sometimes the running just doesn't work out like we plan. I can't even get my shoes on to run so you're way ahead of me!

Anonymous said...

Shake it off little one - the running gods shall smile upon you again. This is not a set back, but just your body craving a small break.

Midwest said...

Two in a row is tough. Do you think that maybe you're overtrained, or even just getting sick? Either way, shake it off, rest, and you'll be back in no time.

Unknown said...

Running has its own momentum. There is no such thing as having a terrific run forever. We all will have good and bad days of running. It comes with the territory, honey! Hang in there...

Teacher Pursuits said...

So... 4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday... that equals 8 which is almost 10 so I say eff it. You done good. ;)

P.O.M. said...

Booze helps to rinse the bad runs away, too.

I read somewhere too that a chick's cycle has A LOT to do wtih how you feel. Maybe that's it. (I blame hormones for everything else. May as well add bad runs to it too.)

Viv said...

Awww dayum Jess, maybe the body just needed some rest and some pancakes...syrup makes everything better.

PS love the new pics on the sidebar super cute!