TAT CN Header

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Walking with Scoots

I'll be honest, after work today, I felt pretty worthless and running was the last thing I felt like doing. Generally, even when I don't feel up to running, I know that once I do run I feel refreshed and revitalized, and knowing that is usually enough for me to muster up the reserve motivation and get out there. But today, I just really didn't want to run.

Yet, I knew that if I skipped running I would feel the inevitable guilt that all runners feel after skipping a planned run; I also knew that the guilt would be even worse if I skipped exercise altogether. Thus, I decided to take Scooter for a long walk instead -- that way, I could rest assured that I had gotten in some exercise even though I didn't run.

So Scooter and I went for a 2 mile walk. And I know that it took us longer to walk those 2 miles than it would have taken me to just get out there and run 3, but I figure that's okay. I needed the break today.

Besides, Scooter lurved the walk.

20 comments:

Crissy Rae said...

At least you got out there and did something. I'm trying to justify chasing Wilson around the house as my exercise for today...all 10 minutes of it. I bet Scooter enjoyed the walk, too.

E said...

It's still counts as exercise. :)

Anonymous said...

sometimes i wish i had a dog that forced me to get out- i've been slacking lately

Marcy said...

Works for me! Sometimes I use walking the kids in the stroller as cross training LOL

Unknown said...

Dog walking is cross training in my book.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice break and decent exercise, all rolled into one.

teacherwoman said...

Sometimes you just need to change it up a bit. I would have opted for a walk with the cute pup as well!

Lily on the Road said...

but you know what? Scooter had a GREAT time with his mom, and enjoyed sniffing and whizzing all over the place....

it's just like reading the doggie newspaper, getting all those great sniffs in!!!

Anonymous said...

Everyone deserves some rest.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Getting out there is the important part! Good job.

Mendy said...

I agree, walking is good. It's exercise! Bet Scooter is a happy camper now.

MN Mom said...

Don't dogs just love their walks! It just amazes me how many times Angel can pretend to pee on something when I know there can't be anything in there because I always wait until right after she goes to walk her.

Wes said...

I oft wish I was Scooter :-)

Marlene said...

Sounds like a fair compromise to me!

keith said...

people underestimate the benefits of walking. it's very meditative.

Steve Stenzel said...

I'd call that good! And I'm glad Scooter liked it too!!

Jenn said...

I almost died when I saw the title of this post. My great grandma used to say she had the Scoots when her meds would cause diarrhea. So my initial thought was "Why is she blogging about walking with diarrhea?"

Then I remembered that your dog is Scooter.

My dogs name is Butter and one day I told some of the girls in class that I had taken Butter with me on my run, at which point I got the most amusing stares from some of them. One lady finally spoke up and asked if I had thought I was going to be hungry.

Pets make life more interesting even when they are not around.

Jenn

Paul said...

Scooter needs some love too. I'm sure he was digging it.

P.O.M. said...

Sometimes we all need a little break from running. No need for the guilt :)

Jess said...

Nothing wrong with a little break, plus you still got a walk in and got to spend time with the pup!