TAT CN Header

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bowling Report

The first night of league last night was, well, a little stressful. This league is much bigger and more serious than the casual summer league we've been participating in for the past 4 years, so we had to pay close attention to the different rules, regulations, and scoring. Plus, it was a little intimidating bowling next to, and against, teams who have sponsorships and where individuals are bowling in the mid-200s.

Plus, these "leaguers" are there to BOWL. Not to socialize. So a guy on the opponent team didn't hesitate to prompt me that it was my turn (which translates to: "Put your beer down, missy, and get up there and bowl!"), and we saw a verbal brawl break out between two players on another team. And all around us, it was a sea of bowling supplies: Bowlers were taping their fingers, applying wrist braces, polishing their balls, and sipping their Vitamin water. In short, it was like stepping up from running 5Ks to running the Boston marathon, and the competition was not messing around.

But a few beers in, and our team was feeling more relaxed and we had the confidence that only beer can provide. We determined that we will just have to approach the league in our own way: We're not there to win the championship or set any bowling records; we're there to have fun, enjoy one another's company, and do our best at bowling. Plus, we do know a few other teams in the league who are more like us, so we can socialize with them, and enjoy the competition on a more causal level when we play them. And certainly, over the course of 37 weeks, we're likely to improve.

So, how did my games go last night? Like so: 131, 116, and 138. Not great, but not shabby for me either. The rest of my team did pretty well too, but we won't know how many points we scored because our averages weren't figured in and thus our handicaps weren't calculated yet; however, I think we held our own.

It was fun, but it's not gonna be like Thursday night league, which should really be called a drinking league in which we incidentally bowl. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed some beers last night, but I limited myself to 3, and I don't plan on getting wasted every Monday night; it's one thing to be hungover on a Friday, and an entirely different thing to be hungover on a Tuesday.

Although...as Jerry says: "If you're gonna be hungover, might as well get paid for it."

19 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

oh, they do sound serious...putting on wrist bands to polish their balls...oh, I digress! LMAO

Go have fun and you're absolutely right, you guys will improve over 37 weeks, hmmmm, let me calculate that in beer!!

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO at Lily!!!

I don't know homie, they seem a little too hardcore. You're not going to get too serious and ditch running to join the PBA are you? ;-)

TonyP said...

Funny....I was up late last night and kept checking for the post-bowling, drunk, crazy, all over the place post, but it never came !

Anonymous said...

yikes sounds like you've just joined the ranks of the pros..i would just have to laugh if that were me in the sea of wrist wrapping and what not. have fun with it- you never know what could happen!

J~Mom said...

Wow!! They sound very serious! I don't think they would be happy with me and my gutter balls!

E said...

They sound a little too serious for me - LOL. But at least you were able to get a few beers in. :)

Aron said...

glad you were able to loosen up and have some fun!! sounds like a serious place to be!!

sunshine said...

Wow... that's some serious bowling! I don't know the last time I've been bowling (besides Wii bowling that is), so those numbers look pretty impressive to me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some kind of serious. I'm going to miss the drunken post bowling posts, but it still sounds like you'll have some fun.

Nancy said...

37 weeks? Holy cow. I always think of you when I bowl. I usually don't break 100 though.

I knew I loved Jerry. Might as well get paid for it.

Wes said...

They were polishing their balls in public? Are you sure they aren't drinking A LOT? LOL... :-) You would mop the lane with me if we bowled together!!

Stuart said...

Is polishing your balls a tactic to through your opponent off stride!?!

keith said...

damn, man...i don't know if i could thrive under that kind of competitive pressure surrounding...bowling.

you'll probably get much better, though, having all the serious types helping you with your game and giving you vitamin water.

runner26 said...

I had no idea about bowling leagues! Hope you guys show 'em what's what ;)

L*I*S*A said...

Geez...I hate serious bowling leagues.

Tell 'em to have a beer or five and get over it. :)

P.O.M. said...

Man, that Jerry is a smart cookie. You "scored" with him (bowling pun intended).

teacherwoman said...

That bowling league does not sound like it will be as enjoyable as your thursday night league. Maybe you can get some of those others to loosen up a bit?!

Christie said...

Those "leaguers" really need to loosen up. All the more reason to drink up.

sRod said...

37 weeks? Really? Won't your arm fall off?