TAT CN Header

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rainy 8 and a Wardrobe Dilemma

This evening when I set out for my 8 miler, it was cloudy and looking like rain, but it wasn't yet raining. Then, a mile in, it started to sprinkle, which it continued to do through the first 4 miles. But when I got to the 4 mile turn-around, it started to pour, so on the way back, I got absolutely soaked; however, aside from the rain (and especially the squishy socks and shoes), it was a good 8 miler, and I finished in 1:18:13, which is an average 9:47 pace. If I can do something around there for the Army 10 Miler next Sunday, I'll be pleased.

But speaking of the ATM, today I went shopping for a tech shirt to wear for race day. See, here in FL, I don't usually run in shirts, but it is probably going to be much cooler next weekend in DC, so I figure I need a race shirt. Last weekend I looked at my LRS when I went shoe shopping, but I didn't like anything they had. So, today I found exactly what I wanted, but the only problem was that the only color they had was black. Which I'm not stoked about. But I liked the shirt, so I bought it and figured I'd make it work.

The issue? What shorts go with it? Below, I have 3 possibilities and I need some help deciding. So, first up, my tried and true Nike shorts which are a reddish-orange color with white & light blue on the sides. I have worn these shorts for just about every race for the past two years; they are the most comfortable pair I have, but also they are psychologically comfortable. They do not, however, go with a black top. Second option is white shorts. And even though the piping is blue, it also has black piping, so it kinda matches. Plus I think the black/white thing probably looks best.
Last option is the black shorts with white piping. This is my least favorite option because even though black is supposed to be slimming, I think I look like a chunk of lard here. Maybe it's just my stupid half smile that's bothering me. Plus, I don't think the solid black is a good look for running.
So, whatch'a homies think? Option #1, 2 or 3?

26 comments:

teacherwoman said...

#3 I think is too much black.

I would go with #2 if you are worried about matching. I think #1 looks good too and it sounds like those are your "A" shorts.

Let us know what you decide!

Aron said...

i like #1 or #2 also!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'd go with #1, but I'm big on wearing what's most comfortable.

It's supposed to get up to 74 that day, so it may be a fairly warm morning. A fair number of women around here run in singlets and running bras, so I wouldn't hesitate to take that option, if you aren't freezing to death with your FL blood. :o)

And the third option is that there is LRS near the 10 miler plus I bought some of my favorite tech shirts at the expo last year, so if you are staying near the run, you can check out that option.

Anonymous said...

I think 1 looks great- I like a punch of color- did you miss my electric green tennis top?

Anonymous said...

I like #2 the best followed by #1 then #3.

Unknown said...

#1 - They are your most comfy running shorts and it looks better with black than you realize!

L*I*S*A said...

I'm goin' with option #1. Don't mess with a good thing. :)

Marcy said...

I like #2 myself. #1 would be good too.

TonyP said...

#2 or #3

Marlene said...

You certainly do not look like a chunk of lard, but I vote that you wear your "lucky" orange shorts.

Steve Stenzel said...

There's nothing wrong about black and orange! If that feels right, I'd go with #1.

Viv said...

A chunk of lard, girl puhlese! I do like #3 because you know I am match matchy but I have actually seen you PR in #1. So my vote is nummber uno!

Marci said...

Orange all the way, looks like a lucky colour.

Nikemom said...

I want to know...if you don't normally run in a shirt, what do you run in? lol

#1 is my choice

SavvyFitChica said...

#1. Who cares if you match? Not me! In fact, I have something against chicks who show up at the gym with make up on, jewelry, and looking like they tried too hard!

You and the #1 shorts have a history together- you can't mess with that!

LOL!
Kelsalynn

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I would go with what is comfortable and what has brought you success in the past. No one really cares if you match or not out on the course.

Crissy Rae said...

I'm favoring #1. Red rocks.

Erin said...

I will be different, go buy those green Nike shorts with the black trim from Sports Authority. :)

Unknown said...

New thought - how cool is "much cooler"? I ran in a tank top yesterday and it was 55-60 deg when the race started. A bit chilly at first, but I warmed up by the time I had reached a half mile. Maybe you don't need to wear the black shirt...

AddictedToEndorphins said...

#1!!!!
So much fun! and black goes with anytthing...Right?

Stuart said...

A: comfort over color every time plus there's the mental thing as well!

Amy said...

I like #1. It's looks totally cute, and comfort counts!!!!

Teacher Pursuits said...

I vote #1!

TNTcoach Ken said...

How could you stay in that same position for three shots?

J~Mom said...

I like the red!

keith said...

black = hot in the sunglight.

try a white top.