TAT CN Header

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Playlist

Yesterday, I did get my planned 4 done (39:34) and today, I got a 5 miler in (48:32). Not much was interesting or exciting about either run, so I don't have much by way of reportage; however, I did add some new tunes to my Shuffle, and I re-arranged the playlist to mix up the variety on there. Looking at the playlist made me realize how clear some of my favorites are, just in terms of volume.

So, I thought I'd give you guys a little run-down on some of the bands and songs that Jess prefers while running:

1. Foo Fighters.
They win by a big margin with 10 songs on the playlist. My favorite song of theirs to run to? "The Pretender." It rocks. I am also a big fan of their newer song "Let It Die" -- also off the new album.

2. My Chemical Romance
I have 4 of their songs on my Shuffle, and my favorite one to run to is "Helena"; my favorite one of theirs to sing along to in the car is "Teenagers" because I like to belt out the lyric "Teenagers scare/ The livin' shit outta me!" They mean it as an irony, but I mean it pretty much literally.

3. Jimmy Eat World
Actually ties with My Chemical Romance for the #2 spot for number of songs on the Shuffle, but I like an orderly list with some sense of rank, and while I love Jimmy Eat World, not all of their songs are kick ass for running. My favorite running song of theirs is "Pain." 'Nuff said. But I also really like their newer song "Let It Happen."

4. Paramore, The Fratellis, Fall Out Boy, and The Arctic Monkeys
They really are tied, both for number of songs on the playlist and for a ranking for their runn-ability-qualities.

5. Rage Against the Machine
If you ever need a song that's just straight up kick-ass, you can always count on this band to deliver it. Plus, there's a proficient use profanity, which I like in a running song. My favorite of theirs is "Killing in the Name" simply because of the repeated lyric at the end: "Fuck you/ I won't do what you tell me"; too bad they're not together anymore. Audioslave (the band made up of Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and the remaining Rage members) churned out some good tunes ("Cochise" is a good running one), but they too aren't together anymore. Maybe Tom Morello is too good for any of those guys.

6. Against Me!
Okay, so I only have two of their songs on the playlist, but they really do friggin rock. Both "Thrash Unreal" and "Stop" should be on everyone's running playlists.

Now, I gotta go. We inherited Rock Band from our friend Ryan, and now Jerry and I are gonna go rock out here in our living room!

18 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a great list of songs! I will have to look into some of those!

Ryan said...

I believe rage against the machine are back together. I am sure they will release a overly political CD that nobody but Susan Sarandon and Tim Robins cares about shorty.

They do rock though.

Ryan said...

that was supposed to be cares about shortly. not shorty. although in this instance it made me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out Against Me. Great job on the runs.

Marcy said...

What no Lil Wayne? :P Homie how will we ever roll together? LMAO!

Marlene said...

Nice times on your runs!

Thanks for the musical ideas too - I need some new variety on my Ipod.

Teacher Pursuits said...

I love My Chemical Romance and the Fratellis!!! Have you listened to Vampire Weekend? Super fun to run to!

Aileen said...

Good playlist...I'm so downloading most of those once I'm able to use my credit card again!

lifestudent said...

Rage isnt back together, but Zack de la Rocha has a new album "One Day as a Lion". Since his voice was so much of the Rage-ness...its very Rage-like. If you are looking for some new tunes you might want to check it out ;)

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading other people's running lists. I need variety in my life, so I tend to steal ideas sometimes. =)

Aron said...

awesome i love getting suggestions for running songs! i just added some new ones to my shuffle too and it always makes me want to go run!

Unknown said...

You got a pretty good playlist... There are a few that I would recommend you to look into....

Tears Don't Fall by Bullet for My Valentine
Oil and Water by Incubus
Mr. Brightside by The Killers
A Bad Dream by Keane
Today by Smashing Pumpkins

Running Jen said...

Great list! I like a lot of the same stuff actually!

RunnerGirl said...

"Teenagers" is one of my favorite songs to run to because it makes me laugh!

Kevin said...

Thats one kick ass playlist

Marci said...

Do you download your songs from itunes? I want to update my playlist, but I wondered if there is some secret society place where you can download for *free*. I tried to say that quietly.

J~Mom said...

I love your song suggestions!! Thanks! Have you downloaded the new Fall Out Boy song?

sRod said...

Oh Jess--you speak my language!