TAT CN Header

Friday, July 04, 2008

Weston 5K Race Report

The best thing about this morning's 5K? The homies, yo. I got to meet up with sRod and Viv for the race; we met prior to the race and chatted before heading to the start line, and then afterward, we met up again and got to visit a little more. sRod had to head out almost right after the race, but Viv and her husband, Shane, and I grabbed some lattes and chilled in the A/C for awhile chatting. It was great to meet up with both bloggers, and I had a great time getting to know each of them a little better. Below, after the race, from left to right: Moi, sRod, Viv, Shane. The second best thing about this 5K was that I achieved a new PR!! I wasn't sure if it was gonna be possible with the way my runs have been lately, but I guess I had the right mojo this morning, and the splits looked like so:

1: 8:45
2: 9:06
3: 8:59
.13: 0:57:77

Total Time: 27:49!!

Of course, I was slightly deflated when I looked at my chip time after the race and it was 28:05, but I'm gonna go with the Garmin time, not the chip time. My Garmin wasn't short on distance (to the contrary, I clearly weaved some with that little extra mileage at the end there), and I am very good at starting the timer right as I go over the mats at the start and stopping it when I come over the finish mats; usually, I am like a second off my chip time with my Garmin time. The only way I can account for the discrepancy is that the race started the chips when the gun went off instead of as individuals went over the mats; or, with everyone going over the mat at once, perhaps the computer couldn't accurately record chip starts.

Either way is a PR for me, but I am gonna use the 27:49 for my own personal record and make that the new time to beat for my 5K PR.

I had a great morning -- it was so fun to meet up with the fellow bloggers -- and I had a great race. Now...I am going to spend the afternoon and evening drinking plenty of beer, eating tons 'o food, and blowing off fireworks. Wa-hoo! I hope everyone enjoys their holiday!

Happy 4th of July!

21 comments:

Wes said...

Definitely a PR!! Woot!! A big bonus you got to meet Viv and the other blogging peeps!!

Happy Fourth!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Looks like today was a great day for a PR. Just finished reading about Eric's 5k PR at Stubborn Running.

Well done, and congrats on your strong finish!

--Steve

Erin said...

That's awesome Jess! I said your DA would end today. :)

Now, get your drinking shoes on-Momma Froyd's ready to get loaded and light some shit off.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the PR! Sounds like a good morning overall!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the PR!!

Marcy said...

That is one sexy bunch of runners! Whoot! So jealous!

CONGRATS on your PR chica!! Totally rockin!! ;D

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job on the PR!!! And good, steady pace!!! WAY TO GO!!

Happy 4th!!

TonyP said...

CONGRATS !!!! A new PR. Way to go.

Viv said...

That was a great PR! Jess totally had time to shower shave and well the other S before I made it thorugh the finish line. LOL! It was so awesome to meet you. Looking forward to downing some beers sometime this week.

keith said...

congratulations on your PR!! Nicely done!

L*I*S*A said...

GOOD FOR YOU, SISTAH!! I knew you had it in ya. :)

Kevin said...

Congrats on a new PR.

E said...

Nice job! Congrats on the new PR!

Razz said...

Congrats on the PR!!!

MN Mom said...

Hey Jess...sounds like you had a lot of fun and a good run. Hope the rest of your 4th was a sparkling blast!

Unknown said...

Holy cow !!! Congrats on your new PR !!! The picture is PRICELESS !!!!!! Hope you had a fabulous 4th of July, I know I did !!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pr

Rhea said...

Congrats on the PR!

J~Mom said...

Congrats on your pr!!! Sounds like a fun running day!!

Teacher Pursuits said...

OH HOW FUN!!!! Congrats on the PR!

runner26 said...

congratulations on the new PR!!