TAT CN Header

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dreadmill 3 Miler

After I posted this morning, and as I was getting ready for work, I was feeling disappointed in myself that I didn't get up early and get my run done in the AM. Then, the heavens parted and a ray of light (symbolizing inspiration, of course) shone down upon me: I could run on the treadmill at the gym after class, and then I could still get the run done before evening.

So, as I collected my stuff for work, I stuffed my running clothes into a workout bag, and felt satisfied with my plan to run after class.

At this point, some of you may be puzzled. And I know what you're thinking. Let me guess, is it something like this: "Uh, Jess? Do you even belong to a gym? You never speak of one and you talk about the treadmill as if it is akin to the devil himself. Are you drunk again?" Well, my friends, I do not drink in the morning (unless on vacation, and then I delight in a Bloody Mary or Mimosa), but you are right; I do not belong to a gym. Because...there is a gym on campus that I can use for free. I just almost never do.

Why?

Well, mostly because:
A. I really do think the treadmill is the same kind of evil as Satan.
B. I feel as though I must wear a shirt, and to be frank, I prefer to run in a sports bra and shorts. But honestly, I don't have the bod to parade around the gym in that attire, especially because of reason C.
C. I dislike working out with my students around. Feels weird.

But today, I went to the dreaded on-campus gym (which, to be fair, is actually a very nice gym), I wore the dreaded t-shirt, I ran on the stupid treadmill, and I did in fact run into 4 of my students there.

I only ran 3 miles (had originally planned on 4, but at mile 2 I thought I might yank my hair out from the monotony, so I revised the plan for 3), and I definitely didn't love the treadmill, but I got 'em done. And now I am reminded of the consequence for failing to wake early and get the miles in during the AM. So, tomorrow morning when I'm tempted to hit snooze again, all I need to think is: "treadmill, sweaty t-shirt, students looking at you" and I'll be up in a jiffy!

25 comments:

Razz said...

I'm with ya on the students thing. My policy about the dreadmill at school: In Case of Emergency Only.

Aron said...

i TOTALLY agree... not running on the treadmill is what gets me out of bed in the mornings too! great job for getting the run done and getting some motivation for not snoozing tomorrow :)

Jess said...

It was always a little weird seeing profs at the gym...especially when they showed up in classes i was teaching...it was always that awkward case of do you say hi or pretend you don't really see each other haha

E said...

The treadmill is satan - I believe it!

Wes said...

ROFL!! But that is what the treadmill is good for. A tool to use no more than necessary. Set the incline on one or two percent, and you have a comparable run. Plus, its not REALLY HOT :-)

Shanakin Skywalker said...

Ok, I'm just a lurker, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you listen to music when you run? Podcasts? You are a teacher... maybe there's lectures on your favorite subject available in podcast form? And as for your bod, you can always bet there are more out of shape bods at any given gym than there are better. That is, if you were at a gym that wasn't full of your students. I understand not wanting to be half naked around them.

J~Mom said...

I am slowly but surely starting to enjoy the treadmill. It's crazy but I am.

Teacher Pursuits said...

Its negative, yet positive, reinforcement. You don't like the treadmill so you will run in the morning... yet either way you slice it, you still ran! :) Gooooo!

Marci said...

I'm with you. I hate the dreadmill!

Marcy said...

LMAO!! As SOON as I saw the title of this post, I thought "Jess joined a gym? I bet she could use the one on her campus fo free. Wonder what the dealy is?" And now I know ;-) I don't blame you. I'd feel all weird heavy breathing and having my chichicitas bounce up and down in front of my students :P

teacherwoman said...

way to get'r done! I know that I probably wouldn't be going to the gym as often if I were going to see a lot of students there. Usually all I see at the gym are parents of my students... hehe.

Kevin said...

Yeah I think the dreadmill is the spawn of satan .I avoid it like the plague, to only be used in case of absolute emergency

RunnerGirl said...

I see my students at the gym all the time during the school year, very weird.

Erin said...

At least the nasty black bugs weren't present in the gym. I don't know how you run through them. I can barely stand walking through them.

TonyP said...

I hate the dreadmill.

SuperLindsRuns said...

I love your new punishment for not running in the morn! I wish I had some form of torture like that and the guts to run in just a sports bra!
PS- Love your blog! Makes me smile everyday! :-)

Anonymous said...

way to get it done, even if it was on the treadmill.

Anonymous said...

Good job getting it done, even if you had to use the "dreadmill".

I'd never survive running on the darn thing if mine wasn't in the house with a tv right in front of it. The Today show and What Not to Wear can usually get me through a few miles. My problem is that getting up early, guarantees a treadmill run, so no incentive to get up early around here LOL.

Crissy Rae said...

The treadmill is tough for running. I try to immerse myself in my music but it's not the same as running outside. Of course, I am less freakin drenched when I do the treadmill but I don't feel the same love.

Mendy said...

Yea, I understand. I wouldn't feel too great about working out in front of students. makes sense...
I just don't like the treadmill these days, but may need to work out a friendship with it shortly.

Stuart said...

It's all about the jiffy!

L*I*S*A said...

Why do you think I call it a 'hamster wheel'? ;)

Viv said...

Awesome Jess that you got on the dreamiller. man, did you make the schedule out that is causing this guily feeling stuff. LMAO at feeling weird about the students watching you work out. My sister makes us go to a far away movie theater cause she does not want to run into her students. I remebr when I was younger seeing a teacher out of the classroom was like a lepar sigthing. You really don;t know what to say or how to act.

Nancy said...

Way to find a way. I think you do have the bod to parade around but I get why you wouldn't with the students around. :D

sRod said...

In college I felt really uncomfortable working out with professors in the gym. Especially when I would run into them in the locker room. Yeah, that'd really uncomfortable bring up that morning's lecture on the Civil War while my professor is in his underwear. Awkward.