TAT CN Header

Monday, July 21, 2008

Better

Thanks for the comments regarding the blog header: After fiddling some more, I managed to change the background color but couldn't do what I wanted to do -- make the pic fit entirely across the header. For now, I am satisfied with the color the way it is, but who knows if later I won't continue to mess with it to try and achieve perfection.

Anyway, aside from spending most of the evening playing with the new blog template (can we say "Jess was procrastinating from grading essays"?), I did get a run in.

As I mentioned earlier, it was like the surface of the sun out there today, and even by 8 pm, the temp was still at 90 degrees. Lovely. So, when I set out, I decided that, really, I just need to slow down. Like, really slow down. Sure, I've been pulling in the reins some on the pace, but I still feel exhausted after a few miles; thus, I finish feeling completely drained and I dread going back out for my next run in such hellish heat (couple that with a lack of motivation and I think I have my reason for such dismal mileage lately). So, as I said, I decided I really, really had to slow down:

1: 10:00
2: 9:58
3: 10:06
4: 10:05

Total Time: 40:11

And seriously, why not? The heat alone has got to be pushing my HR to its limit, and trying to maintain a pace that's not ideal for these conditions is foolish. So, tonight I did slow down, and you know what? I felt great! I finished the 4 miles and felt like I could do another 4! I haven't felt like that since...March? Wow. What a revelation. I guess I allowed my ego to get in the way of letting the environment help dictate the training, so lesson learned -- it's only taken me a few years to figure it out.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to learn from you and take it slow myself tomorrow.

I only wish I didn't have to run at 3. Oh well, it's the only time I have someone to watch the kids, so 3 it is. Apparently, not only do things only break in our house when the husband is away, but that's also when we get to have our streak of really hot days. Fun all around.

MNFirefly said...

Nice run and blog header!

Marci said...

I wondered why your blog was 21 days... Now I know, what a great story and I like the orange banner. Good for you for getting a run in!

Viv said...

Geez I just noticed the header. It is perfect for the FL theme runnersqe look! Looking great around here.
Way to get a run in :-) The pace is where it needed to be after the sporadicity (i think I just made that one up). Hey at least you did not get the HR in my defibrillator level.

Unknown said...

I like the header. I think it was a much better choice than working on those essays. Way to slow down and feel good!

miss petite america said...

my god. i don't know how you run in the heat and humidity. especially as fast as you do!

TonyP said...

You've gotten further along then I have been able to with a header picture. It looks great.

With all of you heat training, you'll be ready for Badwater in no time. :)))

Marcy said...

I'm lovin the header!! It's sweet! Oy, don't even get me started on ego getting in the way. Mine needs a beech punch in the mouth.

Junie B said...

slowing down will DEFINITELY improve your run, even if its slower. i too have learned this, but i hate it just the same sometimes.

and isnt my sticker just the FUNNIEST thing EVER? :o)

Anonymous said...

I like the header. Smart to slow it down a bit. This is something I need to remember. I rather feel great after a run than crap.

teacherwoman said...

The header looks great. and nice job on the run, despite the conditions!

TNTcoach Ken said...

I keep my ego in a large crate. Some days I don't even take it out. I think it took me years to figure that out also.

Wes said...

I love that you had to "slow down" to a 10 minute pace. Just awesome :-) You'll be an HTML/CSS programmer before you know it! Should I let your school administration know? LOL!! I'm sure they'd have tons of work for you. OK. Maybe not. I know the kids love that kind of stuff!

Jess said...

I like the new header! I'm glad you were able to finish the HTML stuff out.

And nice job on slowing down. It always feels better finishing strong and feeling good.

:) said...

Slowing down is smart in the heat. Is it fall yet?

The 311 Boys Mom said...

LOVE THE NEW BACKGROUND......I've been trying to get mine changed & I'm having a heck of a time!

J~Mom said...

The new header looks great!! I have had my own problems slowing down in the heat! I totally understand!

E said...

Nice job!

Liz said...

I typed in header for blogs and a website came up with the HTML...it worked for my picture...it made it longer...you could try it...

http://webheader-banner.blogspot.com/

tfh said...

Yeah, I think if your HR's up, running slower in the heat = running faster in the not heat. At least that's what I tell the old ego.

Kevin said...

Sometimes you do need to listen to your body and slow down. Its annoying to do, but it will help

Unknown said...

Header is looking nice!

Mendy said...

Header looks nice. Very pretty picture!

SavvyFitChica said...

I've been MIA for the past week so I didn't see your blog when it was under construction, but I can tell you that I really like the way it looks now. I think it looks great.

Great job on the 4-mile.
Bad job on procrastinating grading papers.(Sorry, I haven't had the chance to yell at anyone yet today so you're my scapegoat!).

Have a great week!

Kelsalynn

MN Mom said...

I like the new blog look. It's like redecorating. Always fun to have a new look.