TAT CN Header

Monday, July 07, 2008

I'm Beat

These blisters are not from running. Instead, they're from walking a mile in shoes that are not meant for walking a mile in. "So, Jess, why would you walk a mile in shoes that aren't fit for walking a mile in?"

Well, I'm glad you ask my friends. I walked a mile because my new office is half a mile away from my classes, so to walk out there and back totaled a mile (this is an approximation -- I'm not sure that it's really that far, but it's not much of an exaggeration -- it's pretty dang far); and certainly, I should have pulled a Fred Rogers and changed out of my heels, but I didn't have an extra pair of shoes today and I had to make the trek out to BFE (aka, the new location of my office).

Some of you loyal readers may remember me mentioning that the English department at my college is moving. Well, the department is moving to one building, but I (and a few other straggling faculty members) are in a separate building -- in a galaxy far, far away. So tomorrow, the department, along with my office, gets moved, and today I had to do the last of my packing and organizing in my office and I had to go out to the distance edges of the planet to organize some stuff in my new office. That, along with continuing to meet with classes, means that I was on my feet a lot today.

And I was hot. And sweaty. And my feet hurt. And I was grumpy. And I was feeling pretty sorry for myself when I got home this afternoon. So, as I see it, I need to do either one of, or a combination of, things to deal with this move (which will probably last about a year -- on the conservative side):

A. Get a golf cart
B. Start taking experimental drugs or drinking in my office
C. A combination of the two elements in option "B"
D. Get more sensible shoes (or begin the Mr. Rogers routine)
E. Get a segue (any clue on the spelling? is it "segway"?)
F. Get a scooter...wait I already have one of those......and he has never carried me from one place to another. Useless dog. Maybe I need a horse or a camel...

Anyhoo, I suppose the most cost efficient (although, certainly not the most fun) option is to wear more sensible shoes. Add that to my "rolling briefcase" that I bought this weekend, and I'm one step closer to early bird specials and more Sunday morning rounds of golf. Might as well embrace FL living, eh?

Sooooo, I know I should run today because I didn't run over the weekend and I ate the weight of a Volkswagen in cheese, but at the same time, I really, really don't feel like it. Instead, I'd like it if someone rubbed my feet, fed me grapes, and brought me wine.

23 comments:

Aron said...

OUCH!!! when i worked in the SF and had to walk many blocks from bart to my office i ALWAYS changed shoes. i wore tennis shoes to walk in and then heels to work in. i would even change them at lunch to walk around in... saved the feet!

RunnerGirl said...

Wow, those blisters look painful! Hope they heal up soon . . . I say you go the Mr. Rogers route and take an extra pair of shoes.

Wes said...

I say bring your running shoes. No longer will you need to run at home :-)

Kevin said...

You just need to get yourself one of those gas powered scooters and zoom from building to building

Anonymous said...

your poor toes! I'm sure Scooter would give you a ride if he could. I totally think you should get a horse - I'm sure scooter would love that.

teacherwoman said...

Those are some sexy blisters! hahaha. Never seen anything like them! Sorry to hear about the long trek to work... blech.

keith said...

ouch. you need a pair of sensible shoes. i have always wanted to have a neighbor just. like. you.

chia said...

Try some Born shoes - that's all I could stand to wear in UK when I averaged 32,000 steps a day. I got 2 pairs with rubber heels and they just feel sooooo good!

E said...

I cringed just looking at your toes! Definitely change into sneakers or shoes that you know won't kill you.

Unknown said...

pick up some sensible shoes, some granny pants, and download the Mr Rogers theme song onto your phone as your new ringtone. Then you're blisters will heal up nicely and youl'll blend in with the local oldies. It's a win-win!

L*I*S*A said...

I think the golf cart is the best option.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the power of cheese. For me it's not the cheese, but the cheese cake...

I opted to use my "Max" set at the end of week Two as my retest; knowing that with moving a house I would really not be in any condition to do a proper retest.

Congratulations on your He-Man like guns. Skeletor better take heed!

Marcy said...

OMG Jess, that's bad REALLY bad. Dang!! How about you make one of your students give you a piggyback ride? You're totally small/light enough load ;-) Fit right into their book bags. I'm TOTALLY KIDDING!!

Anonymous said...

Those look like they hurt. Take good care of your feet.

Stuart said...

Ouch, look after your tooties and they'll look after you, I think you need to get a couple of students to bed you path with rose petals each day to soften the walk...but a Segway would be kinda cool,dorky,cool...hmm maybe sneakers!

Stuart said...

Oh no I have so got the best idea...steal, eh "borrow" a motorized shopping cart! Sweet ride!

Nicole said...

Yikes...I'm hurting just looking at those :(

sRod said...

Ouch! How does that even happen? I'm so happy I get to wear sneakers to work.

I'm sure all the ladies at King's Point can tell you where to get some really nice sensible shoes, and a lovely paisley scarf to go with them.

Agate Lake Girl said...

Sucky! Sore feet are the worst. I do the Mr. Roger's thing at school (changing before and after recess) so I would recommend that. Not sure if you'll be able to get your students to tie your shoes for you like I do though...

On the plus side, think of all the extra exercise you'll be getting. Not that you need it! :)

miss petite america said...

omg those blisters look so painful! you totally deserved the day off.

MNFirefly said...

Owwwww! Nasty!

Viv said...

I hope those blisters were healed by yesterday becuase you were a speed walking fool in those wedges. I think it is time to ask the "complainers" where they purchase their grovvy shoes. Then dye your hair red, hit a dollar movie and early bird dinner. LOL! Scooters pic is too funny. His face is like you want me to carry you where?!

ws said...

I'm like five days late to commenting, but that sounds about right by my schedule of late. I totally agree with embracing the FL style of living - if we have to suffer through the same heat as the old folks, can't we use the same tools to make our lives easier?