TAT CN Header

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Of Dead Possums and Other Wednesday Observations

First of all, I sadly did not win at racquetball last night. I came close in one game by tying the score 14-14, but then I lost. It kinda sucks to always lose, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much; I still like playing.

Secondly, I went for another 3 miler with Norah this morning, and I have two observations to share about that:

For one, passing people with the BOB is awkward. Our sidewalks here in South Florida are only wide enough for two people abreast. But, one person pushing a jogging stroller is the equivalent to a person and a half, so in passing fellow pedestrians, I feel like I'm just barely shaving by them if they remain on the sidewalk. Also, while I do give people verbal warning when I approach them from behind, I still seem to sneak up and surprise a lot of people, so not only am I taking up a lot of room on the sidewalk, but my ninja skillz are also scaring the bejesus out of some.

While passing people is awkward, passing by dead animals is even worse. At least I don't have to yell "On your left!" for that, though.

Yes, that was my clumsy transition into my second observation about today's run: a dead possum. Possum are frequently the victims of roadkill in South Florida, so it's not uncommon to see a smooshed one by the side of the road, but this particular dead possum appears to have just dropped dead in the middle of the sidewalk. I noticed it last Saturday on our run, and this morning, its decaying corpse was still there. But now, of course, it is getting more and more disgusting and the putrefaction while passing it is awful.

I, at least, know that it's coming and can breathe out of my mouth as we pass it, but Norah doesn't understand me when I say, "Oh gross! Norah, plug your nose!" so she has to breathe in that disgusting whiff of rotting animal carcass. I hope this doesn't ingrain itself in some deep-seated part of her baby-brain so that in therapy, 20 years from now, she'll have to un-earth the devastation of having her mom push her past a dead possum.

22 comments:

Wes said...

wha? Dem possums is good eatin! :-)

michelle said...

Hopefully that will be the worst of her "issues"!

Nicole said...

A bike horn or bell might be easier than scaring passing people.

Krissy said...

I am having the same problem when running w/the Bob stroller & dodging snakes here in CT...YUCK!

Anonymous said...

In Texas it's armadillos. Stupid armadillos...

Katie A. said...

Maybe he is just playing "possum" really good? Hahaha! I kill myself!
Don't worry, like Michelle said, if that's all you have to worry about in 20 years she'll be fine :)

Unknown said...

Yeah I find it way easier to just run on the road when I've got the stroller. Hitting the grass to dodge people gets a bit treacherous at times!

Erin said...

You need to borrow Miller's "mo mo" bell. That would move people.

I highly doubt Norah will hold the rotten smell over you in the years to come. I can think of much worse things we will do to her as she gets older. :)

Agate Lake Girl said...

You runners are stealthy. Back when we lived in Houston and Jon actually jogged a bit (eons ago), he forgot to give the verbal warning when he jogged into the grass to pass a woman walking. He startled her so much she fell and twisted her ankle. Oops! Maybe you should all wear bells?

Heather said...

Yuck. Road kill on the run is no fun.

Anonymous said...

At least you're dog wasn't with you to pick it up with his mouth! That has happened to me more than I'd like to admit - although I think it was a squirrel.

If Norah grows up with an affinity for possum, at least you'll know why!

Anonymous said...

Argh, I meant your not you're.

MCM Mama said...

Eww! I hate running past dead animals. I'm always afraid I'll forget it's there and step on it the next time.

Anonymous said...

When I first started blogging, I would keep track of the number of roadkill I encountered on the run because I'd encounter them in phases. It was weird. Ultimately I stopped because it slowed down in frequency and sometimes it was a beloved pet. Not so cool.

Not sure if I have any advice on passing folks on the sidewalk. Sometimes when I say anything or use a bell, people get startled directly into my path even more! Tricky!

Aka Alice said...

Animal control doesn't come and pick up the dead animals? WTF? They do in Cali... I mean isn't a possum pretty large...like a cat or something?

teacherwoman said...

Yuck. I don't really deal with passing dead animals here.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, I only get to see squirrels...... I always imagine that they can't handle the run!

Marlene said...

Eww, I hope they et that dead possum taken care of soon. I hate running past road kill. It's one of those things where I can't help but look down and then I always regret it. Maybe Norah can recommend her therapist?? :/

Jess said...

Haha that's pretty gross, but I have faith that Norah's psyche will be just fine! :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Road-kill is never pretty. Errr, Sidewalk kill. Littlest usually waves bye-bye at it.

I left you a little smile on my post today!

X-Country2 said...

I'm ordering a double wide BOB this weekend, and I can't wait to rule the sidewalk. Honk! Honk! Comin' through!!

prashant said...

Hopefully that will be the worst of her "issues"!
data entry india