TAT CN Header

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Green Turtle Gallop 10K Race Report

This report really begins yesterday when my Garmin died.

I was headed out for a short run yesterday morning, and when I turned on the Garmin, and all I got was the "black screen of death." I tried a few tricks I know that have worked to resurrect it in the past, but none of them worked: It seems to be the death of the display screen, not the device itself, and I think there's no coming back from that. The Garmin is about 3 and 1/2 years old, and I think that's longer than the average lifespan for the device, but still...I mourn the loss.

So, that meant that for today's race, I had to pace myself by "feel" -- something I haven't done for a race in close to 4 years. What didn't help was that the race's mile markers were not accompanied by time clocks, so with the exception of a guy standing at the 1, 5 and 6 mile markers shouting out the time, I had no clue what my pace was as I ran.

At mile marker 1, I was at 9:14 -- which was about where I wanted to be; and at mile marker 5, I was at 47:30 -- a little slower than I wanted, but again, about where I wanted to be; but then at mile marker 6 I was at 57:20 -- NOT where I wanted to be (I had been hoping for an overall time of about that). Of course, I knew I had slowed some in the last mile because the 6th mile was pretty much all hill and then the last portion of the race was a winding path that went up and down small hills through the park where the finish was located, but I hadn't figured I'd slowed to a 9:50 min pace, but I guess I did (I only have their word for it).Therefore, I finished in 59:18 -- gun time (chip time was identical and was meaningless because there were no mats down at the start: when are RDs gonna realize that without mats at the start, all the timing chips are completely useless?!) -- which is a new PR and still fell within my "pie-in-the-sky" race goal!

So, even though I feel like I could have had it in me to run a faster race, I'm still pleased with this time and, let's be honest: It's always nice to fall just a smidgen short of expectation so that I have endless goals to pursue.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on with your PR self!

Unknown said...

I think that is AWESOME!!! Congratulations!!

d.a.r. said...

Aw poor Garmy!! I hope you can resurrect it (or find some magically money tree to replace it, those puppies are SO stinkin' expensive!).

Way to go on the new PR, that is awesome!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Sorry about the Garmin, it must have been his time.

Nice job on your race. I knew you could do it! Great PR!

MCM Mama said...

Woohoo on the PR! Sorry to hear Garmin checked out on you.

I have to agree with hating races that have timing chips but no start mat. How useless.

Jill said...

AWESOME job on the race and PRing it!! Way to go! I love love love that shirt with it's cute little turtles!!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on your PR, Jess! I knew you could do it! WAHOO!

James said...

Great job on the PR. Too bad about your garmin. 3.5 years though, that is great for something you use so often.

Unknown said...

Great job! You know, I always wondered about the missing mats at the start line...what's the point without them?

Heather said...

Congrats on the PR, way to go! I never understand why races have chip timing if there is no mat at the start . . . waste!

Marci said...

I had a feeling you would set a PR!!! Congratulations on a sub 1 hour 10K!

Agate Lake Girl said...

Way to go Jess and Norah too (previous post)!

The Boring Runner said...

What a roller coaster of emotions in this post.

Oh no!! Garmin is dead!
YES!! new PR!

Congrats on the great race.

SavvyFitChica said...

Nice job! ...you did great by feel I'd say! Sorry to hear about your Garmin.

Nicki said...

I lived in Boca for 10 years growing up so it was fun to read about this race. So bummed to hear about the Garmin. My dad gave me his and it's a few years old... I never thought about them dying before. :(

GREAT job on the 10K time! I hit a sub 30 minute 5K yesterday, and I was on top of the world. :)

Christina said...

Great job on the PR! And that is an awesome race shirt.

N.D. said...

Sorry about your loss :( but great job, you did spectacular!:)

Unknown said...

Nice job on the PR! Sorry to hear about your Garmin loss.

Marlene said...

Sorry about the Garmin. I've never raced without mine.

Congrats on the 10K PR!

ajh said...

Great job!

JojaJogger said...

Excellent job on the new PR! When my Garmin died last summer, I sent it to Kansas to get refurbished. I think it cost in the neighborhood of 80 bucks, cheaper than a new one.

asdhley said...

NICE JOB!!! way to go!!!

Carly said...

Great job on the PR. Sorry about the Garmin.

Wes said...

Congratulations on your PR!! Sometimes, running blind actually helps!! Well done!!!

p.s. Did you try leaving the Garmin on the charger for a few days? After that, hit it with a hammer ;-)

drdave said...

Fantastic news on the PR. Not so much on the Garmin.
Just got a Garmin, hoping mine lasts long enough for me to figure the thing out. Yes, I am a man and I even read the instructions too. Still can't seem to figure out how to use it properly. Grrrrrr.

Jess said...

Congrats on a new PR!!!! But sorry to hear the Garmin died! And I agree, races that use chip times should have mat's at the start and finish.

X-Country2 said...

Woo hoo! Awesome job!

utlawgirl said...

Congrats on the PR! Poor Garmin, though... and on a race morning, no less!

runner26 said...

nice race, jess!! congrats on the PR! i had a similar race experience this weekend and know exactly how you felt. hope you're able to get a new garmin soon!

Anonymous said...

You beat your pie in the sky goal. That's awesome!!

Razz said...

NICE!