TAT CN Header

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Birthday to...

...me!

Today, I turn 32 years old. So, in honor of my new age, I thought I'd list "32 random things about Jess' 32 years" -- there'll be a test tomorrow, so be sure to take good notes:

1. I was born in Ft. Collins, CO
2. The first movie I saw in the theater was "Bambi," but because I wouldn't stop crying after Bambi's mother was killed (in the first 5 minutes), my mom took me out and I didn't get to finish my first movie.
3. The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was "Gremlins" -- scared the bejesus out of me.
4. For grades 1-3, I attended school in a one room schoolhouse. It was just me and another kid (his name was Lucas and I will always think of him as "Mucas Lucas") in the same grade.
5. In 1st grade, I fell off the monkey bars and bit through my tongue.
6. When I was 7, I got a hamster and named him Marvin. When I was 9, I entered him in a hamster racing competition hosted by the local pet store. In a miraculous upset, Marvin won first place! He won himself a kickass HabitTrail, and I got my picture in the paper.
7. In 4th grade, I was placed in the "gifted and talented" program at school. I hated it.
8. I took 3 years of piano lessons. Also hated them. Especially hated practicing.
9. I was a Brownie. Also hated that. Only lasted one year in that and I lasted that long because my mom forced me to go because "the uniform cost a fortune" so she was gonna make sure I got my use of it.
10. I was in karate for 3 years. And loved that! I guess kicking and punching things was more a part of my personality than piano and cookie-selling.
11. I played soccer from when I was in 3rd grade until I was a senior in high school. I wasn't great at it, but I loved it too!
12. In grades, 4, 5, and 6, I had perfect attendance. That's right: 3 years and not a single missed day.
13. In 5th grade, I was on the Battle of the Books team (an academic event that would require more explanation that what I'm aiming to compose here -- essentially, a competitive "knowledge bowl" type thing based on books). We lost in the first round of competition.
14. The first day of middle school, I accidentally got on the high school bus. That was a disaster.
15. In 6th grade, I got de-pantsed by Adam Jack in front of my entire grade while we were at lunch. Most embarrassing incident of my life.
16. In 7th grade, I got detention for flicking a penny at someone during class.
17. I had braces.
18. I was in 9th grade when Kurt Cobain killed himself. It was a monumental moment.
19. When I was a teenager, we had a pet goose -- named Silly Goose.
20. I shut my finger in my locker in 10th grade and had to go to the emergency room. Got 10 stitches and that finger is weird to this day.
21. Before I got my driver's license, I had already put my mom's car in the ditch 3 times.
22. Two months after I got my driver's license, I committed a "hit and run" -- the police found me; that was bad.
23. I graduated high school a semester early. But waited until the fall to start college.
24. I have a tattoo, but it's such a cliche, so I hesitate to tell you what it is or where it is. Oh, okay: Chinese character, lower back. Go ahead and laugh.
25. I rolled my Honda Civic in college and I wasn't wearing my seatbelt -- I was thrown from the car, but miraculously, the only injuries I suffered were two chipped teeth.
26. Graduated college Magna Cum Laude, which makes me laugh cuz it sounds dirty.
27. I have an M.A. in English, which means I can write and talk real good.
28. I met Jerry when I was 24. We met in a bar. It's a good story.
29. We got married, in 2005 (when I was 27), on a boat that never left its dock. The boat was named "The Anticipation." I appreciate irony.
30. Even before we got married, we had decided that if we ever had a girl, we'd name her Norah.
31. I have never broken a single bone, had never had blood drawn before I was pregnant, had never spent the night in a hospital until I had Norah, and haven't been to the doctor (except for check ups) since I was a junior in college.
32. I currently weigh 3 lbs less than I did pre-pregnancy.

44 comments:

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Jess! I hope you have a good day and Norah spoils you rotten. :)

C said...

Happy birthday! I turn 32 in November. 1978-ers rock!! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! May the loot be appropriate and may there be plenty of it!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Happy birf-day.... Hope all is forgiven...

Adam Jack!

JojaJogger said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

Lindsay said...

happy birthday!!

i took piano lessons for a year because at the end-of-year recital you got a huge peppermint stick. i'm easy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Brithday!! You and I have similar "car-ma". I've been in 14 auto accidents, 5 of which have totalled my vehicle (surprisingly few were my fault though!!). I'm currently on my 7th car.

Jes said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

Unknown said...

Happy B'day.

I rolled a car in college too. I was wearing my seatbelt or I think I probably wouldn't be here writing this comment. It was bad.

Razz said...

No Spoiler Alert on #2? Thanks.

Happy Birthday!

Marlene said...

Happy Birthday Jess! Great list... you definitely had your "keener" days but also your rebellious ones. ;)

RunningLaur said...

Happy birthday! Love the name Silly Goose. :)

teacherwoman said...

Happy birthday, Jess! Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Lily on the Road said...

Happy, HAPPY Birthday Jess. Hoep you get lots of great swag.

Love your list BTW, you've made me LOL a couple of times.

Whitney said...

As someone who grew up in a Rocky Mountain state, I appreciate you using the word "ditch". My husband had no idea what a ditch was or a jockey box.

Jess said...

Happy birthday Jess! I hope you have a wonderful day and I love reading your 32 things.

I can't believe you only chipped two teeth after being thrown from your car! Insane!

Hollie said...

Happy Birthday!

Krissy said...

Ha! I love it - getting married on a boat at the dock....so funny! Love the idea of the "32 random things" Happy Birthday!

Andy said...

Thanks for the birthday info!!! It was really neat to read. I turned 30 just a couple weeks ago.... 30's are so much fun.

Julie D said...

Wow about the lack of medical intervention in the past!!

SavvyFitChica said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I just think you're great- I love how you can be totally goofy one minute, then sentimental the next. You have a great balance and perspective on life. I really enjoy reading your blog! :)

Titanium Spork said...

Happy Birthday fellow Taurus! I love the hamster story. 32 random things is a great idea for a post.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I still think it's funny that you are exactly one day younger than me.

B. Kramer said...

Happy birthday old-timer. When do you get to race with the masters group?

I got a degree in English and didn't learn a darned thing about using it properly. Had to get a journalism degree for that.

Monica said...

#33. You have an AWESOME blog and
Norah is the cutest little
I've ever seen!!

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday! It's sounds like you've had an adventurous life thus far! :)

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!! Congrats on the 3 lbs less pre-preg wait. I cant wait till I can say that! haha Keep it up!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Enjoy your Birthday.

Will the test be open book?

Was the last one to make you feel good or us (needs to lose a few) feel bad? ;-)

Wes said...

Happy birthday, Jess! I am always amazed we survived till adulthood :-)

Running 365 said...

Happy Birthday!

I loved your list! I laughed out loud about the girl scout uniform costing a fortune and "The Anticipation." I want to hear more about this one room school house! (I teach a combination 3rd/4th grade class right now and my father-in-law teases me and says I need a potbellied stove for my one room schoolhouse.)


Hope you have a good one!

RunToTheFinish said...

wohoo i love birthdays!! cliche tattoo huh, wouldn't have pegged you for that

TonyP said...

Ah, to be so young again. Hope you have a fantastic, splendid, super birthday!

MNFirefly said...

Happy Birthday!

James said...

Happy Birthday!!

ajh said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you get lots of running loot! I laughed at your hampster story and decided I didn't want to ride in a car with you. Loved reading the random stuff It was fun.

Katherine @ Lipgloss and Spandex said...

Happy Birthday!

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!! Great idea with the list of 32 things about you, I enjoyed reading it :)

Tricia said...

happy birthday!

Aron said...

happy belated birthday!!!! hope it was a GREAT one :)

N.D. said...

aww that's a fun list. Happy 32nd!

Carly said...

Happy 32nd Birthday. Loved the facts.

Agate Lake Girl said...

Happy Belated b-day! Thanks for the rockin' list of 32 things ala Jess. You sound pretty bad ass on paper! :)

runner26 said...

happy happy birthday!! i know i'm a bit late, but better late than never?? i'm sure it was fun! love the list too!

Katie A. said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!
I'm a bit behind, but I LOVED the 32 things about you! Just remind me if we ever find ourselves in the same car and you offer to drive that you don't! Hahaha! Hope it was enjoyable :)