TAT CN Header

Thursday, April 08, 2010

It's for the Turtles

For awhile now, I have been hemming and hawing about running the Gumbo Limbo Green Turtle Gallop 10K. The pros for running it were simple: 10K opportunities are rare in this neck of the swamp, and especially rare this time of year, so I felt as though I should do it (the next 10K on the South Florida race calendar doesn't come around again until November). However, the cons were also pretty straight forward: I didn't really want to drive to Boca early on a Sunday morning. So, yes, laziness was the primary reason I hadn't yet registered.

But, last weekend, I mentioned it to Jerry and he said, "Go for it! You wanted a race to run now anyway." "You're right," I said...and then preceded to allow the early registration to pass me by on Monday. But, then, this afternoon on Facebook, some friends were discussing running it, so I butted in and invited myself to join them. So, there ya go: An hour later, I was all registered. All the proceeds go to the Gumbo Limbo Sea Tutle Rehab Center (which is where strung out sea turtles go after a bender, I guess), so it's for a good cause. Plus, I have the opportunity to best the Key Biscayne 10K I ran back in November; I ran that in 1:05:20 -- I think I can beat that now. And, that's a good cause too, right?

23 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

You'll beat that time with plenty to spare! It's just two of your three mile runs with the bob... Start off slowly and finish in a blaze of glory.....

Anonymous said...

You can definitely beat that time! Go for it.

Anonymous said...

Go Turtles! Go Turtles! Go Turtles!

Katie A. said...

You can totally beat that time! I can't get over how few races there are for you until the fall! Is it due to the crazy heat and humidity? Enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

You will definitely beat that time! And for the turtles? How fun!

Running Jen said...

Good luck! You will beat that time for sure! If I can do a 10K in less than an hour, then you definitely can!

I just looked it up and saw it's this weekend. Bummer - I got all excited and thought I might run it if it was the weekend after, as I'll be in that area for a wedding on the 17th

James said...

You should run it just because that name is so cool. I agree with everyone else, you can definitely beat that time.

ajh said...

Wow! There isn't another 10K until November? Is it mostly 5Ks? Is it because of the heat? I guess we have opposite racing seasons in some ways.

Monica said...

Way to save the turtles!!!

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a good race! You will rock that PR!

Heather said...

I definitely see a PR coming your way. Good luck!

Unknown said...

i love the name and the cause. go get 'em!

X-Country2 said...

I'm with Jerry. You'll do great!

MNFirefly said...

Go for it!

JojaJogger said...

Looks like a PR race to me. I love the name of that race.

Marlene said...

Good causes all around. Sounds like a good race and you can definitely beat that 10K!

B. Kramer said...

Crush that time! Stomp on some turtles. Kill, kill, kill! Run well and and drink well. Cheers!

Titanium Spork said...

That has to be one of the best race names ever. Have a great race!

BrianFlash said...

Dang druggie turtles - when will they ever learn?

Sub 60 minutes for you!

MCM Mama said...

You are going to totally blast that time! And you should totally run it for the turtles. ;o)

Jess said...

Yay for finding a race to run!!! You will totally kick butt!

d.a.r. said...

good luck!!

prashant said...

You will definitely beat that time! And for the turtles? How fun!
data entry india