TAT CN Header

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tagged

I've been inadvertently tagged by those of you who tagged "everyone else who hasn't yet been tagged" and I needed an idea for a post today, so here ya go. I think I'll run later tonight -- maybe something longer, like a 6er, but for now, I gots nothing else to write about. Enjoy.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
Sporadic. I had run in high school through sports and even on my own time, and I kept it up in college, especially at first. But 10 years ago, I was 20 years old, a college junior, and most of my time was consumed with studying and partying. With hangovers, there just wasn't a lot of extra time. But I did occasionally run. Just not with any purpose or regularity.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
Worst: The Chicago Marathon 2007. Hands down. I don't need to elaborate, right?

Best: The Colfax Half Marathon in May 2008. I didn't PR, but I just felt so dang good the entire way, and I finished feeling so good, that it was awesome.

3. Why do you run?
Because it's hard. And I've learned that most rewards in life come from challenging myself, and when I think back on the last 3 years of running, I'm proud of what I've accomplished. It's something that's entirely my own, and I've worked hard at it. Yet, there's still so much room for improvement and growth -- I think that's exciting because I know that running presents a never-ending personal challenge (think of all the potential medals!).

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
I don't think I've ever received a bad piece of advice. Yes, I've had non-runners talk about the "dangers" of running and how I'll "ruin" my knees doing it, but I don't consider that advice.

Best: Get fitted for shoes by a Local Running Store. I was skeptical about needing running shoes that were fitted by a LRS (the cost, I thought, wasn't worthwhile), but when I think back on it, that first fitting was a running-epiphany (ya like that Wes? I used "epiphany" just for you!). Having the right gear, especially the right shoes, makes a HUGE difference in comfort and injury avoidance. So even though shoes are more expensive at my LRS, I always go there instead of ordering online because I'm so appreciative of what they've done for me and what I've learned from them.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
Well, my friends and family all know this, but it's not something I've talked about much (if at all) on the blog: Before I met and married Jerry, I had been engaged to someone else and I broke off our engagement 5 weeks before we were to get married.

I was 24, and had been reluctant from the start (in fact, when he'd proposed to me, my first thought was "no" -- but I'd said "yes" because I didn't want to hurt his feelings and didn't want to break up; dumbest reason anyone ever had for getting engaged, right?). But I had planned everything -- we were literally down to the final details, when I cracked and determined that I simply couldn't do it. I did not want to spend the rest of my life with that guy. That was a horrible realization because I did love him in many ways, but I also knew what our life would be like together and I didn't want that.

Breaking off that wedding and leaving him was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I don't regret it one iota. It was the bravest and smartest thing I've ever done.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great to hear your best experience was the Colfax half-marathon! Love it! I agree with your best advice -- that changed my running, getting fit for the right shoes.

Anonymous said...

Jess, good for you for breaking the engagement off. I know it must have been one of the hardest decision, but it is better than being caught in a marriage that is unhappy.
You have a lot of courage for getting out of the relationship, especially at 24 and 5 weeks out from the big day.. I am glad to see you are now happily married!

keith said...

You can PAY to have someone FIT you in shoes?!

Weird.

teacherwoman said...

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to break off an engagement... but I am glad to hear you did so as it appears that you and Jerry are soooo happy and perfect for each other!

Anonymous said...

Fun to learn more about you.

chia said...

You have grown wise young padawan :-).

Stuart said...

Great post: sometimes the hardest call are the ones you really need to make.

Wes said...

Yay! Epiphany, epiphany, epiphany!!

The smartest things are never easy!! Way go to Jess!!! Jerry is one lucky dude :-)

Viv said...

Jess, thanks for sharing the 5. I am glad you took the courage to find you happiness and the daddy of your fury baby.

P.O.M. said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Laura N said...

Loved reading your list, Jess. What a strong person you are.