TAT CN Header

Monday, June 02, 2008

JADP

Over the weekend, I continued to work on what I have come to think of as the "Jess Anti-Drowning Project," JADP for short. Yeah, it's not such a catchy acronym, but I can't be witty every day of the week; plus, I'm sure that with continued use and reference, JADP will become catchy. Anyway, acronym attempts aside, this meant that I swam on both Saturday and Sunday, and I can report to you fellow folks that I deserve a pat on the back for the improvement I made in the course of a few days.

By Sunday's swim, I was feeling much more comfortable in the water and was breathing easier and more efficiently. I even did 26 lengths (of the 30 foot pool), which totals 780 feet. Yeah. Only 4,500 feet to go to complete a mile (which means "only" another 150 lengths of that tea-cup sized pool). I know they're not gonna be asking me to join the team in Beijing this summer or anything, but I was so pleased with the improvement yesterday that I started brushing up on my Chinese anyway (even though it's the second hardest language in the world to learn -- Japanese is the hardest, if you want to know).

My plan over the summer is to integrate swimming with running as a complimentary form of cross training and a break from the day-in-day-out brutality of sizzling under the FL summer sun, and goal A with this plan is to improve enough to move up to a grown-up sized pool for laps. Goal B is to swim a consecutive mile. Goal C is to become a formidable threat on both land and sea.

Today though I took a land break (part and parcel with Goal C) and went for a 3 mile run (yeah, take that swimming -- I can run 3 miles, so boo-ya!):

1: 9:29
2: 9:16
3: 9:21

Total Time: 28:08

Afterwards, Jerry and I went to our favorite Cajun restaurant and I ate my weight in Shrimp 'Po Boys and drank a delicious Stella. Thus, I am absolutely certain I ate more than the 434 calories I burned during those 3 miles. Damn you scrumptious Cajun food and your Creole Voodoo; your spice-spell seduced me!

18 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Wahoo... she's swimming! Now we need to get you a bike, right?!

Viv said...

I'm glad you are still here after 1000 posts. If ever a blogger movie made it should be about you.

my stomach hurts from laughing about the being a threat on land and sea. LMAO! I am calling it my core work for the day.

Mary Gee said...

I agree with teacherwoman. You need a bike.

Anonymous said...

nice job on the swimming - better you than me.

P.O.M. said...

Goal D: To work on your lucious tan?

I am totally going to buy that book online at work tomorrow (instead of working).

Unknown said...

Good job with the swimming. I happen to find swimming to be a most excellent way to lose unwanted poundage. Sadly, it takes a million laps or so, therefore, I haven't yet fully succeeded...

Stuart said...

Hmm Cajun!

audgepodge said...

I love your dedication to swimming! I was horrible at it... really struggled with the breathing. Who knows, I might pick it up again someday.

On a separate note, I take the occasional biz trip to China and Japan and I found Japanese much easier to pick up compared to Chinese. All those different tones in the Chinese language make it almost impossible to learn! For me, anyway.

Anonymous said...

you're making me want to swim again- my knees are way shot for running that's why I play tennis a lot now. I like your 21 day thing- I finally 'caught on' :)

Marcy said...

You're starting to scare me with the big swimming numbers LOL. A mile of swimming?!?! WHOOOAAAAAA Momma! You can do it fo sho!

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh, JAPD is great! Nice job on the run. I am sure swimming is going to help beat the heat this summer. If you stick with swimming I am sure you will be able to swim a mile.

Kevin said...

Great job on not drowning.

SO once you reach goal C, your gonna have to pick up a bike for goal D, become a kick ass triathlete

Ian said...

Wow, I so need a Shrimp Po' Boy right about now... well maybe not now (8:45 am MT) but later at lunch I need one.

chia said...

You did the right thing. Shrimp po'boys might be one good reason to fall off the vegan wagon ;-)!

Good job in the pool!

MN Mom said...

Eating your weight in shrimp and drinking your weight in booze is always a good thing! And that you are dedicated to running and swiming just means one thing...you can do more of the above!

Marathoner in Training said...

Keep swimming, I think it is more controlled drounding.

J~Mom said...

Great job sticking with the swimming!

sRod said...

Congrats on sticking with the swimming.

My question is: how do you pronounce JADP? Jad Pee?