TAT CN Header

Monday, June 02, 2008

JADP

Over the weekend, I continued to work on what I have come to think of as the "Jess Anti-Drowning Project," JADP for short. Yeah, it's not such a catchy acronym, but I can't be witty every day of the week; plus, I'm sure that with continued use and reference, JADP will become catchy. Anyway, acronym attempts aside, this meant that I swam on both Saturday and Sunday, and I can report to you fellow folks that I deserve a pat on the back for the improvement I made in the course of a few days.

By Sunday's swim, I was feeling much more comfortable in the water and was breathing easier and more efficiently. I even did 26 lengths (of the 30 foot pool), which totals 780 feet. Yeah. Only 4,500 feet to go to complete a mile (which means "only" another 150 lengths of that tea-cup sized pool). I know they're not gonna be asking me to join the team in Beijing this summer or anything, but I was so pleased with the improvement yesterday that I started brushing up on my Chinese anyway (even though it's the second hardest language in the world to learn -- Japanese is the hardest, if you want to know).

My plan over the summer is to integrate swimming with running as a complimentary form of cross training and a break from the day-in-day-out brutality of sizzling under the FL summer sun, and goal A with this plan is to improve enough to move up to a grown-up sized pool for laps. Goal B is to swim a consecutive mile. Goal C is to become a formidable threat on both land and sea.

Today though I took a land break (part and parcel with Goal C) and went for a 3 mile run (yeah, take that swimming -- I can run 3 miles, so boo-ya!):

1: 9:29
2: 9:16
3: 9:21

Total Time: 28:08

Afterwards, Jerry and I went to our favorite Cajun restaurant and I ate my weight in Shrimp 'Po Boys and drank a delicious Stella. Thus, I am absolutely certain I ate more than the 434 calories I burned during those 3 miles. Damn you scrumptious Cajun food and your Creole Voodoo; your spice-spell seduced me!

18 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Wahoo... she's swimming! Now we need to get you a bike, right?!

Viv said...

I'm glad you are still here after 1000 posts. If ever a blogger movie made it should be about you.

my stomach hurts from laughing about the being a threat on land and sea. LMAO! I am calling it my core work for the day.

Mary Gee said...

I agree with teacherwoman. You need a bike.

Nicole said...

nice job on the swimming - better you than me.

P.O.M. said...

Goal D: To work on your lucious tan?

I am totally going to buy that book online at work tomorrow (instead of working).

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Good job with the swimming. I happen to find swimming to be a most excellent way to lose unwanted poundage. Sadly, it takes a million laps or so, therefore, I haven't yet fully succeeded...

SLB said...

Hmm Cajun!

audgepodge said...

I love your dedication to swimming! I was horrible at it... really struggled with the breathing. Who knows, I might pick it up again someday.

On a separate note, I take the occasional biz trip to China and Japan and I found Japanese much easier to pick up compared to Chinese. All those different tones in the Chinese language make it almost impossible to learn! For me, anyway.

Mrs. K said...

you're making me want to swim again- my knees are way shot for running that's why I play tennis a lot now. I like your 21 day thing- I finally 'caught on' :)

Marcy said...

You're starting to scare me with the big swimming numbers LOL. A mile of swimming?!?! WHOOOAAAAAA Momma! You can do it fo sho!

D10 said...

You make me laugh, JAPD is great! Nice job on the run. I am sure swimming is going to help beat the heat this summer. If you stick with swimming I am sure you will be able to swim a mile.

Kevin said...

Great job on not drowning.

SO once you reach goal C, your gonna have to pick up a bike for goal D, become a kick ass triathlete

Vanilla said...

Wow, I so need a Shrimp Po' Boy right about now... well maybe not now (8:45 am MT) but later at lunch I need one.

chia said...

You did the right thing. Shrimp po'boys might be one good reason to fall off the vegan wagon ;-)!

Good job in the pool!

MN Mom said...

Eating your weight in shrimp and drinking your weight in booze is always a good thing! And that you are dedicated to running and swiming just means one thing...you can do more of the above!

Marathoner in Training said...

Keep swimming, I think it is more controlled drounding.

J~Mom said...

Great job sticking with the swimming!

sRod said...

Congrats on sticking with the swimming.

My question is: how do you pronounce JADP? Jad Pee?