TAT CN Header

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Easy 3

After yesterday's wicked 3 miler in the evil humidity and devilish heat (did I utilize enough negative intensifiers?), I decided that for tonight's 3 miler I would leave the Garmin at home and just run an easy 3. I think it was for the best. Some days, it's just about returning to the running and forgetting the numbers and going with what feels comfortable; plus, the result is that I don't have to use profanity to describe the run.

In addition to the run, I also began the 100 Push Ups Challenge today. (Thanks to The Running Knitter for bringing this challenge to my attention!) I did both the initial test and day 1 of week 1 of the 6 week challenge and...um...it was challenging. The program doesn't specify whether the challangee can choose between regular push ups or modified push ups, but I decided to remain true to the core idea of a push up and I did regular ones. Uff-da. They were tough.

It broke down like so:

Initial test: 5 push ups. Don't laugh, they're hard.

This put me at Level 1 for week 1, so I did 4 sets of 2 push ups a piece, resting for 60 seconds in between, and then did one last set of my "max" which ended up being 4 push ups. Total = 17 push ups for Jess.

I like the idea of this challenge and I hope to stick with it. And then in six weeks I'll be sending out invitations. To the gun show.

25 comments:

Wes said...

oh, by all means, use profanity to describe the run :-) Even good runs can be suitably profane!!

Wha? A pushup challenge? Where was moi?

Anonymous said...

A 100 push ups! No way. Best of luck.

Kevin said...

OOhh a pushup challenge? count me in. Sometimes its good to just go out and run without the garmin. Sounds like it was a good one

Mary Gee said...

That is a great idea, going without the garmie. Maybe I shall try it sometime soon.

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the easy run. Humidity does really SUCK!

E said...

Push ups are hard, aren't they? Just think - in 6 weeks, our biceps and triceps will be killer. :)

Liz said...

100 pushups! Hmmm...my husband doesn't think I can do it...I love a challenge...

I am going to give it a try! If I can do it...then he has to send a mass email out to his work (Army doctors - some can't pass the PT test) and brag about me! That is worth it!!!

Megan Hall said...

I'm thinking I might have to try this push-up challenge too...after my vacation!

TonyP said...

The 100 pushup challenge sounds cool. I'll join you in it.

Marci said...

Great blog, thanks for the link. I be checking back to see how your pushup challenge goes!

chia said...

Cool challenge chica! Thanks yarn-laden-trotter :-D!

Anonymous said...

I think every now and then you have to go for a run where you don't worry about time. Glad to hear the heat and humidity wasn't as bad. Good luck with the push up challenge.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job! Make sure to get out those invites!!!!

;)

keith said...

you know it is international law that once your biceps reach a certain muscular circumference you MUST apply a barbed wire tattoo?

Marcy said...

Homie, that is AWESOME! Seriously, I cannot even do 2 pushups :-X

nwgdc said...

i'd never heard of this, but had been doing pushups intermittently at work for a while. the only problem? i do them one day and i'm way too damn sore for the next week to do them again. thanks for the link!

L*I*S*A said...

Love it. I think I'm going to take the challenge. :)

I'll let you know how my initial test goes.

Erin said...

I can't do a push up. I wouldn't even meet a level. The chart would say come back when you can pick yourself up off the ground.

Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm not sure I've done 100 pushups in my lifetime, let alone in a row. I hate that exercise almost more than anything. Good luck on th push up journey!

P.S. Miss ya!

P.O.M. said...

Once you get really good at push ups, you can move your "PEC" muscles up and down. Always a good party trick. Not that I would know.

Viv said...

Good luck with the push up challenge. You can do it! I will be a cheerleader on this one. I am challenge out :-/
That was a a lot of pushups for the first week of the challenge you must be sportin some guns already.

J~Mom said...

I am going to check out that challenge! Good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

Excellent work on the push ups and thanks again for taking the challenge!

--Steve
--www.hundredpushups.com

Any other takers?

sRod said...

Sheesh, I think the last time I did a push up was in high school. No joke.

Aron said...

ohh that sounds like fun! good luck with the challenge :) i dont know if i am able to run without G yet... but maybe i should try one of these hotter days just because. sometimes you have to let go of the numbers right?!