TAT CN Header

Saturday, June 28, 2008

More Miscellany

I have nothing to unify my post and make it cohesive, so bear with me. I put things in bullet form for ease of reading. And because I'm feeling bullet-y this morning. Yes, it can be a feeling, not just a format.
  • I bit my lip last week while eating (I guess I just get excited and my teeth are over-zealous to gnash and my poor lip was an innocent bystander), and now it's this huge canker sore. It hurts. And my tongue can't help but continuously retrace its perimeter so that half my day is consumed with this thought: "Ouch. That canker sore hurts."
  • I did a lot of shopping yesterday. Bought some new threads (everything is on sale!), and I also bought some stuff for the house, including new bedding. Scooter had chewed a hole, yet again, in our comforter and stuffing was spilling forth. That was the 3rd comforter that he's done that to, and it better be the last (why comforters? and pillows? he maybe chewed up two shoes when he was a puppy, but that's it -- however, pillows and blankets seem to bear the brunt of his need to destroy). But, I got a new comforter and new sheets. They are pretty.
  • We went to dinner at the Olive Garden last night. Which always makes me think of "Old School" when Will Ferrell and his wife are in counseling and he says, " We were having a lovely dinner at the Olive Garden, when suddenly I wondered what kind of underwear the waitress was wearing. Chances are they're just plain cotton briefs..." Anyway, I used to have this thing against the Olive Garden because I thought they served mediocre Italian-ish food in a cliched Italian-ish environment (okay, so I still do think that). So, we've maybe gone there twice in the past 4 years. But Jerry was having a hankering for it (he has nothing against chain restaurants), and I decided to tuck my snobbery away, and I have to admit, it was pretty delicious. The wine helps. But seriously, it was a good dinner and we were able to walk in there at 8 pm and not have to wait -- a rarity on a Friday.
  • After dinner, we went to Barnes and Noble -- because, well, that's what we do. We're both book lovers, and often times after we go out to eat, especially on a weekend evening, we like to wander over to the bookstore (especially if we're nearby) and browse. But the weird thing about B&N on Friday or Saturday night is that it is chock full of teenagers. I kid you not. We thought it was extremely odd the first time we encountered the phenomenon, but now we're semi-used to it (or at least, we expect it -- I don't know if a person ever becomes "used to" hordes of teens). Our feelings about the teen-presence can be summed up in this way: We feel oddly satisfied that they're hanging out in a bookstore (although I'm pretty sure the lure of the Starbucks within is stronger than the books themselves), and really, they're not doing anything wrong, and there are few places for teens to hang out and not get into trouble; however, they literally lay down in the aisles or gather together in large groups that are loud and hard to navigate around, so we really wish they weren't there. Last night my comment was: "What ever happened to roller skating rinks? Too bad those aren't cool anymore."
  • I mean really, why did roller skating go out of style? It has all the necessary teen elements: darkened interior, pop music, dazzling lights shows, sexual electricity, and a concession stand. It's perfect for hanging out at.
  • Tonight for dinner, we are going to have a surf and turf extravaganza. Jerry went to Albertson's yesterday because they were having some kind of giant sale (he informed me that he saved $110) and he bought crab legs on sale and we already had some ribeyes in the freezer, so we're having those for eats tonight (I will try not to catch the ribeyes on fire as I did for Jerry's b-day back in April). I'm gonna be thinking about it all day today.
  • I'm glad I have a husband who shares grocery shopping with me. I hate grocery shopping, but he's delighted by it; the only thing is, he doesn't have much rhyme or reason to many of his purchases -- so he might come home with two giant containers of mayo (true life story) but may not remember milk. If something's on sale, he can be blinded by the good deals.
  • That's all for today. Hopefully I get a run in tonight before the feast. Have a good Saturday, peeps! Peace.

16 comments:

Ryan said...

That's good that at least one of you likes grocery shopping. If I wasn't such a wonderful husband and got groceries even though I hate it with every bone in my body(yep even that one), the family would starve.

Christie said...

I feel you on Olive Garden. Years ago, I got the Tour of Italy, which comes with spaghetti. The spaghetti was nasty. How can spaghetti, the simplest thing to make, be nasty? Yeah, not a fan.

Cindy said...

I have closeted affection for olive garden too. I can't admit this out loud, but look forward to going to visit in-laws where there really isn't anywhere else to eat. Bring on the breadsticks.

RunnerGirl said...

I have to say, as a teacher of teenagers, I'm glad to hear they're hanging out at a bookstore. However, it sucks when they're all in the aisle and overtake the place!

Enjoy your dinner tonight - we're going out and I'm thinking of going with the surf and turf option myself :)

E said...

Surf and turf...YUM! Why aren't there any pics of what you bought? :)

Marcy said...

We do the same thing after dinner. Hit B&N or Borders. It's the same shiz with the teenagers here. I was thinking that maybe it was because the mall here doesn't allow anyone under 18 (without parents) after X time. So they have no where else to go?!? But yes it can be annoying.

Kevin said...

Olive garden is great for their endless soup,salad, and most importantly, breadticks.

Wow. Talking bout skating brings back memories of hanging out at galazy skateway in North Lauderdale

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about roller rinks here too- my daughter wanted a party in there but there are NONE close to us! crazy! I wanted to do the shuffle!

Erin said...

Again, I worked at F4L for 7 years. I know what aisle everything is in, what shelf it is on and the price. I never need to set foot in a grocery store again. Especially one with subpar service like Publix or Albertson's. I make the list, I put the groceries away, and now I cook. Enough about it.

chia said...

mmmmm crab legs. those are a vegetable, right?

L*I*S*A said...

I'll admit, I loved rollerskating back in the day.

I'm talking traditional rollerskating, not these inline skates.

Roll on, sister.

Unknown said...

two comments on your mish mash

as the parent of two teens, the thought of them hanging out at barnes&noble is awesome. it's safe.

my huband does most of the grocery shopping for our family because I was disqualified from shopping many years ago (something about not buying what we needed and buying stuff we don't need. blah blah blah). maybe I shopped like Jerry.

keith said...

Don't bite your lip during the surf or you won't be able to enjoy the turf...

Jarrett said...

I am COMPLETELY with you on being opposed to chain food shops. None of that for me, thank you. Every time I go to a chain, I always leave thinking, "I could have made that cheaper and healthier myself. And by the time you drive there, wait for a table, and wait for you food, it's not like I ate any faster."

I love the Barnes, too. Alas, I order all my books from Amazon. Barnes is just to spendy for me. I usually want enough stuff to easily get over $25 for free shipping. And I can get 4-5 books for what Barnes would charge for 2 books.

Anonymous said...

My disappointment abounds. Aperfect opportunity to integrate "beer" into your post was left on the side of the road to rot like day old road kill!

...so "beer" with me...

I need a hobby.

Viv said...

Ouch, I hope thee lip is mo betta. I was at B&N Sat evening and was shocked at all the kids sitting around drinking venti's and chilling at B&N. Maybe we shoul switch it up and all the 30 yr olds go hang at the rink.