TAT CN Header

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cleaning Should Count as Exercise

During the week, like most families, we kinda let the house go.  Sure, we get the basics done: dishes, trash, laundry, maybe sweeping the floors mid-week, but for the most part, cleaning gets put on the back burner in place of the more important, and busy, day-to-day tasks.

So, come Friday, I feel as though we're just living in filth.

Thankfully, I don't teach on Fridays, and in the afternoon, I take Norah to daycare, so that's when I get the house cleaned (if I'm fast, I also try to squeeze in a nap or something relaxing before Jerry and Norah get home).  But, lately I've been afflicted with that terrible compulsion in the 3rd trimester of "nesting," meaning that I feel the need to clean really, really well.

So yesterday, I spent 3 and 1/2 hours cleaning.  Sure I did the regular stuff -- wiping off every surface that is goobbered with handprints, boogers, and drool -- but I also did some "extra stuff."  I cleaned out the fridge (I hate this task, there's always some scary forgotten item in there that you discover and that makes you gag), I moved the couch in the office and cleaned behind and under it, and I cleaned all of our glass doors.

By the end of my cleaning spree, I felt pretty spent.  3+ hours of cleaning would be tough physical work no matter what, but when you're 8 months pregnant and cleaning floors with a basketball sticking out in front of you, it's even tougher.  Still, it's so satisfying to feel like things are clean and orderly, even if it is always temporary...

...as soon as Norah gets home she sets to work at re-dirtifying the house.  Case in point: about a week ago, I washed the curtains in the house, and they had been sparkling clean for about 2 days, when one morning Norah decided to use the curtains in the office as her personal napkins and she rubbed her slimy little mitts all over my WHITE curtains!

As for un-doing yesterday's hard work?  That little monkey took a red crayon and scribbled on the kitchen wall.  Thankfully, the Magic Eraser really is magic!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cleaning actually COUNTS as exercise! I track my calories (in/out) on Livestrong.com in order to try ans lose weight and house cleaning is one of the "exercise" available in the fitness department. I'm always shocked to see that I've burned about 400cals for 3hrs of dusting, vacuuming, etc!

Robin said...

Yes, I'd say moving a couch and cleaning under/behind it sure does count as significant exercise while 8 months preggers. Cleaning for 3 straight hours? You go girl! I am sure Norah was just waiting for you to get those curtains clean so she could use them to wipe her hands--why would she want to wipe her hand off on dirty curtains? My Eva likes to poop in a clean diaper. She just likes a fresh canvas I guess!

Auto Ac compressor said...

I like it because i was seeking for such type of info.

I hope it benefits all one who land up here.

Thanks for sharing!!

Beginner Tri Baby said...

What - cleaning doesn't count??? I need to stop adding it to my training log in Beginner Triathlete then! I'm not prepared to see the big decrease in training volume because of this change though! - LOL

Marlene said...

Magic Eraser works on EVERYTHING! And yes, I love the satisfaction of a clean house. I wish I had more time (motivation) to clean.

Lee said...

The magic eraser is really fascinating. How does it work?

I suck at cleaning though. I can straighten up some but actual scrubbing, not so much. My mom just sent me a GC for a cleaning service for a birthday present. I don't know if she was trying to give me a hint, but I'll take it!

Erin said...

Cleaning is the only form of exercise I can seem to get. If you feel the need to nest a little more (on top of normal spring cleaning) I can find something for you to do here :)

Unknown said...

cleaning and painting both count as exercise. i added painting because i've been doing more of that lately and afterwards, my arms are sore.

ruthi said...

I agree... cleaning is a form of exercise - the unglamorous kind. I did my strength training the other day focusing on my biceps. I washed tons of dirty dishes for an hour and a half from .01 lbs to almost 8 lbs cast iron pans. whew, it was a real work-out alright.

Anonymous said...

White curtains does not equal child proofing your home. Lesson learned.

sam said...

ur blog is really nice and interesting, You have maintain it so beautifully that I truly like & enjoy it
Porsche 911 Turbo

Anonymous said...

Mercedes Benz SLK32 AMG Supercharger
Interesting info, I am waiting for the next info