TAT CN Header

Monday, April 04, 2011

Bigger and Bigger

This morning, at my dr. check up, the dr. gave me one of the best compliments a pregnant lady can receive: "You're one of those women who people can tell is pregnant only from the front.  You just have a little basketball out front!"

I laughed and thanked her for the compliment, which felt nice since I've been feeling like I'm about the size of a killer whale.

But despite how I may appear to just have "a little basketball out front," I continue to measure on the big side (I'm currently 32 weeks, but I'm measuring at 35 weeks).  This has been true throughout this pregnancy; I've consistently measured a few weeks bigger than I am.  This could mean I'm growing GIANT BABY, but it could also mean nothing.  I'm thinking it means nothing.

I measured big throughout my pregnancy with Norah too, and at the end of my pregnancy with her, the drs. were making a big deal about how she was going to be GIANT BABY, and the ultrasound suggested she was, indeed, GIANT BABY, but it turned out that the u/s over-estimated her size, and she was an average size at birth (7 lbs, 10oz).  My theory, and the dr.'s, as to why I measure big is that, conversely, I'm a small person.  I'm barely 5 feet tall (and Jerry will make a snorting noise of derision when he reads that sentence because he thinks "5 feet" is my exaggeration -- on the tall side), and I have a small torso, so I think babies have no place to go, but OUT.  Thus, I measure big.

Labor with Norah was hard, but it's not called "labor" for nuthin', but she didn't require any intervening methods, such as forceps, during delivery, so I'm not worried about Caleb being any bigger or more difficult to deliver.  I may be small, but I'm built with sturdy dimensions.

And on the plus side, measuring big at least ensures that he's growing at a healthy rate!

In all other regards, the appointment was unexceptional, which is good because it means I'm healthy and he's healthy in every way.

14 comments:

LeahC said...

AND only 8 weeks to go. How exciting. I had to get a bunch of ultrasounds at the end because I had some high blood pressure issues. and they would measure lucy and be like, well she's kinda big but don't worry, the u/s could be wrong. I was like, whatever the bigger the better. good thing I thought that as she was 10lb 6oz :). But my husband and I are super tall so she had height on her side too....when they pulled her out (i ended up having a c-section after a lot of trying to labor) and the first thing my husband said upon seeing his new daughter was, "Oh that's the biggest baby I've ever seen" :)

RunningLaur said...

Love the word sturdy how you've used it. Maybe just another reason why you have that Professor of the Year award. :)

Marlene said...

I want to be like you when/if I ever get pregnant!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Oh you are one of those mommies-to-be. I didn't like those ones. The ones who look so good pregnate while I looked like I was carrying the baby all over my body! Swollen legs, ankles even my toes. not kidding. But in the end, I got 3 of the best blessing ever.

I think you are right with your assumption that your small frame plays a part in your measurements.

The Mommy said...

I measured so big with my first daughter that at one point a sub Dr I saw asked me if we knew for sure it wasn't twins. Daughter was big, 9lbs 7oz. I feel like this time around this little girl is definitely smaller than that, my Dr agrees - the u/s tech does not.

My Dr told me of a study where they looked at what the mom, the Dr and the u/s tech each thought the baby would weigh. Most of the time the mom turned out to be right, then the Dr, then the u/s tech. And none of this rings more true than for my friends who were told by their u/s tech that their baby would be over 10lbs....and he barely hit 8.

RunToTheFinish said...

keep that doctor!! love a man who compliments :)

Samantha @ Becoming Me said...

Caleb is a good strong name. I bet the bigger measurement is just reflecting that. :) Eight weeks to go! You're doing great. :)

runner26 said...

i completely agree with being small and carrying out in front. and you really do look great! glad caleb got some fab gifts at the "sprinkle" (what a cute name for it!) and that everything's going well with the pregnancy. that is the best news of all.

Tricia said...

so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the appointment went well. That's the kind of news you want to hear! :)

N.D. said...

I agree - I think it's because you are tiny! Glad everything is going well!

Krissy said...

measuring big is better than measuring small and all the worrying that comes along with that! Glad you are healthy, what a fabulous compliment from the docs too! I got a great compliment when I was dragging myself in the day after my actual due date for the last checkup - I was wearing a camisole tank top with an open cardigan and the nurse told me I looked great still even though I felt like a stuffed sausage at that point! sometimes that is all you need to put things into perspective :) I can't beleive how soon you will be giving birth again, it goes by so fast the 2nd time around!

Erin said...

You do look great and it is all out front. I wouldn't worry about birthing a whale unless you had an affair with a basketball star that we don't know about! :) He will be perfect.

teacherwoman said...

I agree with your theory! Sounds like you and baby Caleb are pretty healthy!