TAT CN Header

Monday, January 05, 2009

Using the X-mas Gift Cards

For Christmas, I got several gift cards for various things and places, and most of them revolve around running and "things that go with running," so today I decided to make use of a few. First stop? iTunes. I only got about 8 songs, so I didn't use up my GC amount, but there will plenty 'o time to do that.

Here's what I got:

"A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend -- totally love this song even though I can't understand most of the lyrics.
"Tick, Tick Boom" by The Hives -- awesome song to run to, very fast rhythm.
"Try it Again" also by The Hives
"Re-Education (Through Labor)" by Rise Against -- this band has a sound similar to Against Me, but with a political tilt similar to Rage Against the Machine; hmmmm, lots of "against" in those band names, huh? rebels much?
"An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery
"Salute your Solution" by The Raconteurs -- even though Jack White is the primary force behind both this band and The White Stripes, I am really preferring The Raconteurs to The Stripes these days.
"Never Miss a Beat" by the Kaiser Chiefs -- Jerry says the Kaiser Chiefs are annoying, but I like 'em.
"Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon -- this is kind of a slower song for running, but I still like it; I *heart" Kings of Leon, especially their song "Sex on Fire," which is also on my shuffle.

All of the songs were awesome for my 3 miler this afternoon; for some reason, new tunes always help me refresh my running.

But, aside from purchasing songs from iTunes, I also put some of my Nike GCs to use today. I ordered a pair of sunglasses. I've been wanting a pair of running sunglasses for, oh, about a year and half, but they're so pricey that I keep putting the purchase off. However, with someone else's gift money, I don't feel as extravagant buying a $100 pair of shades. Besides, what kind of Floridian runner doesn't have a pair of running sunglasses? Yikes, it's like one of you northerners not owning a pair of running gloves!

25 comments:

Marcy said...

Which shades did you get Jess? I need some shades as well (although I can wait til Spring/Summer HAHA) Let me know how you like em!

Heather said...

I've been wanting running sunglasses for a long time too. I need a giftcard. Also, I've been gone and just caught up on your previous posts - Congratulations! I think it's great to run while preggo, I ran through my 6th month and then it just got too hot and uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Hey! - I recently came across your blog and have been lurking in the background for the last couple of months. But after reading about your announcement, I got a little excited (no worries - not in a dirty way, but in a ME TOO way)and decided to comment to say that I'm newly preggers with a due date of August 10! I've been keeping it more on the DL, but what the heck...sharing with a stranger can't hurt. And I'm glad you're not taking that quack's opinion about running being bad for you seriously. I'm a runner too and everything I've heard from docs and active mothers say that not only is it not bad for you (double negative - yikes), but it will prepare you for labor, etc. Plus it will keep us sane during these upcoming months when our bodies begin to feel like they belong to someone else.

On that note, are are you excited about being pregnant in the summer months of South FL? I've been lamenting the expected heat here in Charleston, SC, but now you've got me beat. I'm feeling better already. :o)

ANy way, congrats! I'll be following your progress with interest.

Marci said...

Ooo post a picture of your new shades if you can!!

X-Country2 said...

You need to post some pics of the new glasses. :o)

I had to laugh at your gloves comment. I seriously own like $150+ worth of running gloves.

Running Jen said...

Here's a FL runner that does not have a pair of running sunglasses! I mean, I have a regular pair, cannot run without them, but we're talking about a $5 pair. Glad you got some nice stuff - enjoy!

Jess said...

Ohh what do those $100 shades look like?? Do you have a pic?

Carly said...

How fun! I love shopping with gift cards.

Running shades have been on my list for awhile. You will have to post a review.

teacherwoman said...

I haven't heard of any of those songs! I can't wait to get a new computer so I can get iTunes up and running again. 5 months of the same 100 songs gets old!

Glad to hear you found yourself a pair of shades! Especially since you probably see more sun than we do up here!

RunningLaur said...

Firstly, I highly approve of the choice in music - you've got good taste!
Secondly, I'm highly interested in how the running sunglasses work out. The only thing worst than a Floridian without shades may be an Arizonian, so I'm looking forward to a review / advice!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the shaded. After long runs I was getting headaches, but after I got some sun glasses I haven't had one.

Marlene said...

Both the music and shades sound like goift cards well-spent. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Like you, I heart King of Leon especially the song called "Use Somebody". Terrific song!

Neese said...

awww look at you downloading songs (LOL kidding!) -- I've been wanting running sunglasses for.ev.er...what kind did you get? pics! pics!

Aka Alice said...

Oooohhhh thanks for the playlist. I'm needing some different tunes to run to.

I have some Nike sunglasses for running...which ones are you lookin' to get?

chia said...

Well, duh.

Can't listen to sex on fire without proper shades!

UV action's a bizzo yo!

Great scores!

Laurel said...

I got some sunglasses but never used them much in FL because I always ran before the crack of dawn or at dusk to escape the raging heat.

RAGE AGAINST THE HEAT!

Your new tunes are awesome! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

What, no maternity technical t-shirt? (Do they even make those?) ;o)

One of these days I need to get an ipod and check out itunes...

Unknown said...

gotta post a pic with the running shades. :-)

Stuart said...

omg I think I know only two of those songs!

Wait a minute I have gloves!

Shoe Running said...

I just used my itunes gift card too...it was fun finding out about a whole bunch of bands I hadn't heard of.

Glad you found some good stuff! I need to check out vampire weekend :)

Steve Stenzel said...

I don't know "sex on fire," but the name SURE is intriguing!!

;)

Agate Lake Girl said...

Can't wait to check out some of the songs I haven't heard - I always love your music suggestions!

sRod said...

Whoa--we do have similar music taste. I'm going to have to grab some of these up with my gift card money.

Anonymous said...

I suggested the Vampire Weekend song to the spin instructor and the gym. Everyone is class loved it. Thanks!