TAT CN Header

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Extras

You guys will have to wait for a pic of my ordered sunglasses since Nike's web page displays its products in Adobe Flash Player, so it's not a simple cut and paste job to transfer the image here to my blog. If you're extra curious, you can go to the link here. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until they arrive and I can model them for you.

In other news, today was my first day of classes for the term. While yesterday was a work day, I didn't actually have class -- just had to be on campus for some meetings and shiz. Anyhoo, my classes went well today, and I have to say that it's nice to be back at work. I mean, vacation was great, but I like to be back to my routine, and it's always fun to start a new semester: new classes, new students, the smell of freshly sharpened pencils...Ah! It's invigorating. And for as much as I sometimes complain about my students and the massive stacks of essays I have to grade, at the start of each new semester, I'm reminded of how much I like this job and how well it suits me.

Also on the the plus side of the return to work is that my nausea has been more manageable in the last two days. And I really have to wonder if this in part due to my mental and physical pre-occupation while teaching. Granted, I have had moments in the past two days where I feel like I'm gonna blow chunks, but I have managed to keep it all down. So that's awesome. (And yes, I do constantly snack, and it does help -- most days -- and it's good that so far my cravings have generally guided me toward fresh fruit and veggies.)

So, after work today, I went for a 4 miler, and it went well. One thing I've certainly noticed about running now that I'm preggo is that I just can't keep the pace I used to, and my runs have been averaging 10 min/miles. Today, I did my 4 miler in 40:05, which is an average 10:02 pace, according to the Garmin. In part, this decrease in my speed is disappointing, but to be honest, I'm not all that concerned about my speed right now; I just want to get out there and get the miles in the best I can.

I believe that the reason for my slower pace is due to several interesting changes that my body is experiencing right now. For instance, did you know that a pregnant woman's blood production increases 30 to 50 percent during pregnancy? And that to accommodate this extra blood flow, the heart has to pump harder, so many women's resting HR increases about 15 beats per minute, on average. Getting accustomed to these changes is why most women experience fatigue in the first trimester, and why, I believe, running is a bit more laborious (slight pun intended), and why it's been more difficult for me to try and run at my former pace.

But, it's good that I have more blood now, because tomorrow I have my second doctor appointment, and I believe they are going to drain me for a series of blood tests. I'll be honest: I'm a bit scarred of that (I've never had blood drawn before!) but there's gonna be a whole lot of shit that's scarier that having blood drawn, so I'd best just suck it up!

25 comments:

Aron said...

i wish i loved my job so i could be happy to get back to it... although i like the routine, the job not so much.

very interesting about the blood and heart rate - i did not know that! great job for getting out there again. its going to be fun to follow you on this baby journey :)

chia said...

A pregger chick beat my last 4-miler time.

How whale ass do I feel right now ;-).

Marcy said...

You've never had blood drawn before?!? Really?

Lovin the shades. I can't wait to see some pics of these baby's on you ;-)

Unknown said...

I can't believe you've never had blood drawn. In any event, you're about to experience a whole lotta new firsts. Exciting stuff!

Unknown said...

I wish I loved my job. What do you teach exactly, English? literature? Congrats on doing what you love!

d.a.r. said...

You are so inspiring!!

Neese said...

Nike sunglasses look great can't wait to see the model pics. glad start of school is going well, DH goes back on 12th..

Marlene said...

Good luck with the blood work - you seem like a tough one; you'll be fine! :)

Glad to hear that the nausea has not been so bad lately. I hope that keeps up!

Jess said...

I'm sure you'll be fine with your bloodwork....just remember to breath or else you'll pass out like me lol

Laurel said...

You've never had blood drawn?!?!? Wow. I always have to lay down because I almost pass out every time I lose blood. The last few times I did it I was fine though. It's really not scary, you're tough.

I read up about the blood production. The stuff the body goes through while PG is really interesting. It's like you are a living, breathing science project.

Good luck at the DR. And good job getting out there for that run.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are able to manage the nausea. Hopefully, you'll be nearing the end of morning sickness too. Great job on the run. Take your time and just enjoy being active.

Kevin said...

sweet looking shades

MN Mom said...

Seriously,you have never had blood drawn before? I find that amazing. What do they do at your physicals every year? At every one I've had or heard of they draw blood.

Unknown said...

Hi there - I'm so glad to have found your blog, you and I are on about the same schedule! I'm due Aug 16th and am planning to keep running throughout my pregnancy too. It will be nice to follow along with someone else at the same stage as me! Anyhow, glad to hear your nausea was okay today - my biggest problem? Staying full! I'm so hungry! Anyhow, good luck at the doctor tomorrow, just look the other way when they draw the blood, it only takes less than a minute!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've had blood drawn a million times. I've also donated a bazillion times (the pleasure of having the universal blood type LOL).

Nice time on the run, but yeah, you're just going to be slowing down from now on. Your body's kind of busy doing other things right now. ;o)

Casey said...

First of all, congrats! I'm a late post-reader, so I just read the news and that's totally awesome!

You'll do fine with the blood draws. :) Just remind yourself that it could be a ton worse and that you are having the blood drawn for a good reason!

Shannon said...

Can't wait to see the glasses and yahoo on the morning sickness.

I was in anatomy when I got pregnant with my 1st child so the smell of phermaldihyde was all over my shoes and I'd get a wiff.....

awww the memories....

Ryan said...

I can't wait until the corporate run in March. Jon and I will kick your ass for sure this year!!!!! You and baby-bear will have no chance.

Good Day

Viv said...

Jess I am glad you are keeping in with the running and concerned about spped and all that just enjoying being preggers while running.

I am so truly happy for you! I am really looking forward to following you through this exciting journey. How cool you get to keep this online diary and be able to share with the little one. I bet ur gonna be one of those supah cute pregnant chickies! :)

Viv said...

* and not concerned with speed...geez typical viv comment full of errors

Heather said...

I hate getting my blood drawn and make the nurse (or my husband, if he's with) talk to me the whole time to distract me. It seems to help. Good luck!

X-Country2 said...

Ooh, interesting stuff about pregnancy and blood flow. Good luck at the doctor.

Teacher Pursuits said...

My slowing pace is what keeps me from running while preggo. I get frustrated when I can't keep pace so I've resorted to cross training. I still notice I am not as ambitious but... my doc advised me to keep the heartrate under 140 so its excusable! :)

You'll do great with the blood work... its quick and painless. Maybe you'll even get a sticker!

Aka Alice said...

I don't think I'd ever had blood drawn either, until I was preggers the first time...so look forward to becoming a human pin cushion.

Great job on the 4 miler.

Shoe Running said...

Glad your nausea is better. Eeek! Blowing chunks! LOL

I dig the sunglasses! :)