TAT CN Header

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

4 + 5 = 9

Yesterday, I ran a 4 miler (40:30) and the only noteworthy thing about that run is that at mile 2, my Shuffle pooped itself, so I had no tunes for the last 2 miles. That's the one downfall to the Shuffle: It really doesn't give you a warning when the battery is low. Yeah, it blinks orange at you right before shutting off, but I clip my Shuffle to my shorts, and I certainly don't look at it while I run, so when it shuts off, I literally have no indication that the end is coming. It's just suddenly quiet.

Then today, I'll be honest, I really didn't feel like running. I just felt tired all day, and even after taking an hour's nap after I got home from work, I still felt fatigued. So when Jerry got home from work, ready to go for our planned 5 miler, I tried to back out with my string of excuses: I still hadn't charged the iPod, I was tired, blah, blah, blah. But he was having none of it, so I tried to get him to switch from the planned 5 miler to a shorter, easier 3 miler. Again he didn't budge. Man, this guy can be stubborn, and whose smart idea was it to get him into running anyway?

"Fine," I told him, "I'll get ready."

So I plugged in the iPod, got laced up, strapped on the Garmin, retrieved the iPod from its charging station (and damn Jerry again for being right that it would only need a few minutes to charge enough for the run), and we were out the door for our 5 miler.

After our 4.25 last week, Jerry felt confident that he'd like to try for an even 5 (he is concerned about the numbers in my log as well), so tonight was the night for it. We did the 5 (50:28) and once I was out there, I have to admit that it felt good. And once I was done, I felt even better. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that feeling of accomplishment that comes from simply getting out there and getting the miles done, even when I am reluctant to do so. I always feel so much better afterward, and then I truly feel like I am done for the day.

But when I can't motivate myself with those positive thoughts, I guess that's why I've got Jerry. Huh. He's come in handy after all :)

26 comments:

Marcy said...

Wait . .does Jerry have his own log? What about Garmins? Do you have separate Garmins?!

Anyway, great job getting it done Jess (and Jerry)!!

Erin said...

So you converted Jerry. One day you will convert me...maybe.

BTW, how did you get him to leave the house unlocked for me to pick up the pack n play? Scooter didn't even bark. He met me at the door with a smile on his face. Silly watch dog!

Unknown said...

Way to get the mile done when you didn't feel like it. It always feel so good afterwards though if you can just get started.

Turi Becker said...

I've had a few days of "just don't wanna run" now. Hopefully you've motivated me for tomorrow...

Run Mommy said...

I continue to be impressed by all these running baby momma's there are! Soon you will be a Run Mommy too. It's great and I look forward to reading more!

Unknown said...

Great job. And you may have created a monster (getting Jerry to run), but a good monster. :-)

teacherwoman said...

LOL. Too funny that Jerry is getting you up and motivated!

X-Country2 said...

Awww, I need a Jerry doll to motivate me some days.

Also, I completely agree that the iPod should give you a warning before it dies.

Jess said...

Awesome job on the runs for both of you! I could use a Jerry to get me out the door when I'm less than motivated!

Marlene said...

Great job getting out there! You never regret going for a run.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the run! And yay for having Jerry to run with (and motivate you when necessary).

audgepodge said...

That is so awesome - Go Jerry! You guys are a cute couple ;)

RunningLaur said...

hooray! You're so lucky to have a motivator for your runs - and even numbers.

Unknown said...

Way to go on making it out the door. That is the hardest part for me. Good job!

Unknown said...

Way to get out there and get it done, even if it took a little shove.

Aka Alice said...

OK...I laughed when you said your Shuffle pooped because I got this image of you naming your child Shuffle and it pooping (sorry...I make those random connections sometimes).

Erik said...

I hate that about the I-Pods too.

I do notice that the volume on mine get's lower and lower before it finally 'poops'.

Good job on the 5!

Good job on Jerry! He'll so appreciate it some day.

E

Shannon said...

Two things that drive me crazy before a run...that "I don't feel like running" feeling and an uncharged iPod.

It's exciting to see your hubby is getting the running thing. BTW, I can't wait to start seeing "the bump" pictures.

Anonymous said...

Jerry might not be Burt Reynolds, but he is a keeper!

Carly said...

Wow...you really did convert him to be a running addict. I think I need a jerry to motivate me like that.

Kristin said...

Same thing happened to me this week with the shuffle!! It holds its charge for so long sometimes, but in the 15 degree weather up here, she poops out much faster... and as you said- with no warning and no hope of resuscitation by turning it on and off! I gotta say I do love that little guy (mines red) way better than anything I'd need to strap to my arm!

Anonymous said...

Jerry is really taking off with the running. It must be nice to have that extrea push and someone to run with.

The Boring Runner said...

That REALLY bugs me about the iPods too. At least my garmin gives me a beep a few miles before it goes dead.

Viv said...

Wow how great is that now jerry is pushing you out the door!

sometimes on the ipod shuffle i wait a bit turn it off then turn it back on i can suck about 3 more songs out of it.

Laurel said...

Jerry is doing so well with this running thing. Although, I knew it would come back to bite you on the ass at one point.

Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

sRod said...

Isn't what all that training partner business is all about?