TAT CN Header

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cure for the Common Morning Sickness

While yesterday was a barf-free day, today ended up being "Sunday-puke-day." No so much fun.

You know, in some ways, I really have to almost marvel at how my body is experiencing these waves of hormones and how they impact me, but on the other hand, I'm too busy with my face near toilet water to really contemplate the miracle of gestation.

Anyway, it didn't help that I also woke up with a pounding headache, and what kind of pain reliever can I take? Tylenol. That's it. And not a whole lot of it either. Plus, when you just puke it back up, it doesn't really help. So with a painful headache and a rotten stomach, I didn't really enjoy most of my last day of vacay (back to the grind tomorrow -- amazing how quickly a 3 week vacation can go by!).

Thankfully, by 1 pm, I began to keep food down -- just in time to watch the Dolphins play a shitty game against Baltimore and lose -- and by 4 pm, the headache was beginning to cease. So, feeling a little better, I decided I wanted to go for a run. My stomach was still a touch queasy so I figured I would just aim for a short, 2 miler. Generally, 3 miles is my shortest distance, but I figured that today all I wanted to do was get out and do some running, no matter how short the distance.

I gotta tell you, it cured me!

About a quarter mile into it, I immediately began to feel better, and while I still decided to just keep it to two miles (didn't want to push an uneasy tummy), I finished feeling great. I don't know if it's because I was out getting fresh air and moving around, or if it's because I'm breathing different when I'm running (so maybe better oxygen flow?), or if it's because my heart is pumping blood away from my stomach, or if it's just the endorphins that kick in from running; whatever it was, it was wonderful.

Afterward, my headache was gone, my barfy-tummy was gone, and I felt worlds better. Just in time to shower up, meet some friends at a sports bar and watch the Vikings lose to the Eagles. Not a good playoff day for either team, but at least I'm feeling better now.

35 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling better. Have a great day back tomorrow.

Erin said...

Man, if I have to take up running with kid number two to avoid morning sickness, I better start training now!

Unknown said...

Maybe you ought to try running in the morning so you can have a barf-free day. Who knows. It just might work!

Mendy said...

Glad you got better quick with a run. I don't know many times I've went running feeling stomach sickness. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Glad the running helped! Much better than my "cure" for morning sickness. I was fine as long as I was eating CONSTANTLY. Not the healthiest of solutions LOL.

SavvyFitChica said...

I'm sorry you felt crummy today, but I'm glad you're feeling better. My sister had "morning" sickness (more like "all day" sickness) and she had to eat saltine crackers every hour. I don't know why, but it seemed to help her- her pukiness was always worse on an empty stomach. She even set her alarm in the middle of the night to eat something b/c if not, she'd wake up puking anyway, so it was just easier that way.

Good luck going back to school tomorrow!

teacherwoman said...

Okay, I am in the process of trying to catch up on blogs and can I just say CONGRATULATIONS!?!?!? How exciting to hear that you and Jerry are expecting your first little bundle of joy!

I am sorry to hear about the morning sickness. It is so weird how it varies from person to person.

However, I have heard that running does wonders for headaches. Even when that is the thing I want to do the least when I have a nasty headache, I still try to push myself to do so and it always helps!

I head back to work tomorrow as well... nothing like diving back into a 5 day week! blech!

Jess said...

Ha tell your doctor that! I'd love to see what she says!

Marci said...

Glad that you found your cure for morning sickness. Wow how long has that gone on for?

Unknown said...

Glad the you felt better after the run!

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog and am excited to follow along. It's a bit late for your 'running while pregnant' post but have you read the book "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by James Clapp? It outlines comprehensive studies that were done about running during pregnancy and it's a really positive boost for those of us who wish to keep running. You're right, you'll get tons of advice, but you jave to do what is best for yourself and nobody knows your body better than you, right? Best of luck!

Badgergirl said...

Glad to hear you felt better after your run.

RunningLaur said...

Running seems to be the cure for you. Stick with it!

chia said...

I'm praying for a puke free return to workski girlfriend!!! Good luck girlfriend!

Shannon said...

I feel for you. I just had a touch of the morning sickness with my first child and nothing with my second. When I'm feeling a little ill, I always feel better after a good spin class or a run.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were feeling better by the middle of the day. Great job on your run too. Hey do whatever makes you feel better.

X-Country2 said...

No idea if the same thing applies to pregnancy, but I'm a firm believer that running pumps the blood away from painful area like head aches or cramps. Glad you're feeling better!

Marcy said...

LOL I'm with MCM Mama. I think the only "cure" I had was stuff my face with food :-X I'm glad you feel better :-)

Running Jen said...

Good for you! When I was pregnant, I didn't run all that much. Now I wish I would have, because I had terrible morning sickness, every day for 5 months! If I decide to have another baby (doubtful) I think I will run lots for sure!

J~Mom said...

I was so sick with all of my pregnancies that I lost weight. I wish I had known about running back then!

C said...

Belated congrats on the happy baby news!

Anonymous said...

glad you're feeling better now- I hated that all day sickness- strawberries seemed to help me for some reason. :S

anyways- about feng shui- you can have all the books you want- as long as you line them up flush to the end that's all :)

B. Kramer said...

Holy cow. I'm hungover for five days and I miss all sorts of things on the super webs. Congrats on your with-childness. Good luck keeping up with the running meanwhile. (Check out http://notpeppery.blogspot.com/ for some inspiration.) Cheers!

E said...

Glad you are feeling better!

Lily on the Road said...

absolutely, house cleaning is cross training and btw, cleaning is totally hormonal in my books LOL..

Glad you are feeling better and that you don't puke on any kidlettes when you get back to work!!

ahahaha, I just read Viper, hahahah

Wes said...

So glad I never had morning sickness. I'll stick to hang overs :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I was feeling the effects of an upset stomach all day yesterday. Sympathy puking?

Aron said...

awesome job for getting out there and running!! hope that always cures your morning sickness :)

Brianna said...

Holy crap - I've been away too long! Congrats on your pregnancy!!! I spent a good portion of my second pregnancy in your position . . . it DOES get better. Hang in there!

Viv said...

Ah Jess I have been out of the loop for a bit. CONGRATULATIONS to you and Jer! Man what happy news, really happy for you both.

Marlene said...

Running cures all!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better and congrats on the baby. They really are wonderful.

Laurel said...

Sorry about the Fins.

So glad the running helps. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks of barf-city for you.

Midwest said...

Morning sickness sucks big time. Have you discovered Preggy Pops yet? They helped me.

The Boring Runner said...

Running fixes everything! Except for lower GI problems - which is makes much much worse....