TAT CN Header

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dunkin Detox

A few years ago, I began to treat myself -- once or twice a week -- with a small iced mocha latte from Dunkin Donuts.  Then, I began to go more frequently, and THEN, they put a Dunkin on campus (about 100 feet from my office), and my occasional habit become an official addiction.

This summer, I figured I'd try to scale back to more moderate consumption, but alas, my efforts at moderation have been in vain.  Maybe one week, I'm successful at limiting myself, but I always go back to a-latte-a-day in the next week.

So, it was clear to me that only one course of action would work for me: Cold turkey.

At the end of last week, I decided to cut myself off, and I'm now on Day #5 of no DD.

Don't misread me: I'm not giving up coffee, or caffeine, I'm just forgoing DD.  Two reasons: Cost and calories.

The drink I get isn't expensive, but when purchased on a daily basis, it adds up.  I've been rationalizing the daily treat's cost by justifying that I don't spend much on myself, and this is true, but perhaps I'd get more enjoyment from spending money on something that lasts and not something I consume.  I've calculated that I can save myself about $90 a month if I quit the cold stuff.  And, I think I'd like an extra $90 in my pocket.

The other, perhaps bigger incentive, is to save myself the calories.  Again, the "cost" isn't much in the grand scheme of things (220 calories for the drink I get), but again, when added up, it probably isn't doing my waistline any favors.  It's easy to justify extra calories such as this when streaking -- "I run every day; I eat what I want!" -- but, really, if I ever want to lose those last 5 lbs, then gulping down whole milk and sugary syrup everyday isn't going to help me.

From obvious experience, I'm putting the whole 21 Day thing to the test here in breaking myself of this habit.  So far, so good.  But, man, it takes just as much willpower to quit a habit as it does to form one!

9 comments:

B. Kramer said...

It's amazing how the little things add up. Coffee drinks are the devil. I'll gladly spend a little extra on beans to avoid stopping at the local coffee shop for my caffeine fix. Stay strong. Cheers!

Julie D said...

We don't have DD here in California really, but I did gain 5-10 pounds from Starbucks about 5 years ago, and it's not even close to as good as DD.

Darlene said...

Mine is mocha frappuccino from Starbucks.

Elizabeth said...

Eating right helps with running right!

runner26 said...

i have a similar story - but for me it's just plain coffee. I never had a cup a day, and now it's all i can think about as soon as i get out of bed! i think of it as basically the consolation prize for getting up to tend to a toddler..but perhaps i really am addicted?

oh and congrats on the 200 day streak!! wow

James said...

You might look into the Keurig machines as a quick way to get your coffee. You can use their expensive cups, or get the reusable filters with regular coffee grinds. They work quite well for a fast cup of coffee, and outside of the machine cost, you'll save money.

Becka said...

I am lucky that I don't have a Dunkin anywhere close to me and I don't like Sbux (or paying that much money for a coffee).

I got a Keurig for Christmas and I love it. I drink my coffee black and really enjoy the blend choices I have.

Erin said...

Make your own at home-you can control the calories going into it.

I try to drink iced green tea (unsweetened) but some days, a good old DD iced coffee or McD's hits the spot.

Carolina John said...

yea those little things totally add up over time. You'll notice the difference pretty soon! Good call.