TAT CN Header

Monday, September 19, 2005

Feeling Better

After what was essentially a full day of rest yesterday, a suitable amount of drugs, and a good night's sleep, I feel much better today. I am still stuffy in the nose and I have a touch of a headache (probably the result of constant sniffing); however, I don't feel so much like a pile of poo anymore.

I'm glad I didn't run yesterday; it was foolish to think that I should plow ahead when I wasn't feeling well. Today, my symptoms are minor and more annoying than anything else, but I don't know if I'll return to the gym today or not. Most training advice on the web advises runners to just use good judgement about what they can or should do when ill or recovering from illness, and the general concensus seems to be that moderate exercise is fine, but if more rest is needed, that seems to be fine as well.

I just don't like taking more than two days off in a row because it inevitably turns into a longer time span and I feel like I lose some of my momentum. Plus, I had a soccer coach in high school who said you should never go more than three days between workouts because after three days, you loose 30% of what you gained. True? Doubtful. I think he just wanted us on the field seven days a week, 24 hours a day (we already practiced 2 1/2 hours a day, six days a week).

I'll see how the day feels. I have a lot of work to do, and I am not at peek energy levels, so exercise may not be in the picture today, but like I said, we'll see. By tomorrow, I should definitely be feeling well enough to get back out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess! My name is Jesslyn and I'm the guide at http://running.about.com. I've linked to your blog there, so please let me know if you would like me to take it down.

Jesslyn
running.guide@about.com