TAT CN Header

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Why I Run

The past few days I've been feeling stressed out and irritable. Next week is my spring break, and on Friday, we're heading out of town for a mini-vacation to Tampa, but those can't come soon enough. Mostly, I've just been feeling weighed down by the same sort of things that most everyone has going on in their busy lives.

I'm busy at work:
And, caring for a toddler:
But, these aren't new things, nor are they any more than what anyone else has going on. Then why was I feeling so burdened by it all? In part, I know it's the side effects of pregnancy hormones and fatigue; however, that wasn't entirely to blame. Then, it struck me last night -- I wasn't running.

People run for a variety of reasons, but for me, one of the primary reasons I run is for stress-release. I've always found that regular running helps me simply feel good, mentally and emotionally. In the past few weeks, though, my running has been de-railed by the cold I had and the remaining congestion that is still bothering me. And even though I was still remaining active by walking everyday, it's just not the same for me.

So this morning, I determined to go for a run.
It was short -- just 1.5 miles -- but afterward, I felt good. A heart thumping, sweaty kind of good. The run didn't erase all those things I was feeling, but it made them seem manageable. And, that's why I run.

Why do you run?

19 comments:

Stacey said...

I love that heart thumping sweaty good feeling!! It is amazing how after just a short run you feel like you can tackle the world. Have a great day! Norah sure is a cutie!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Potato chips, beer and Girl Scout cookies.......

Marlene said...

Glad you felt better after a nice little run! There is just nothing like those endorphins.

Erin said...

When something scary is chasing me and I have no other way to protect myself.

Lily on the Road said...

Just catching up with all you do and you exhaust me, in a good way of course.

Glad you had a nice trot, it always feels better...what about swimming instead, I've recently ramped up my swimming (for a 3k race) and it really helps with the burden's life throws your way....

Best wishes and enjoy your vacay!

Heather Forcey said...

I run so I can cope with life. It's not pretty so see a 36-year-old woman cry for no reason. Running makes me a happier person! Plus I like to feel like I accomplished something. Teaching is never ending, housecleaning is never ending, laundry is never ending. But I can nail a run, and I have DONE something to completion!

Good for you getting out there! Glad things seem a bit more manageable now.

Unknown said...

I am sooo the same way. Walking just doesn't cut it. Good for you for getting out there. Even 20 mins helps!

B. Kramer said...

It's funny how that "it's because I haven't been running" feeling hits you. The last few weeks have been a drag, but maybe it's because I haven't been running enough. Cheers!

Wes said...

so I can drink beer. Why would anybody want to run for any other reason? :-)

Andy said...

Way to detoxify your brain... (stealing that line from someone else, but sounded great!) Good to know you have that outlet to let you blow off some steam and/or clear your mind.

Thomas Farrell said...

I run for exactly the same reason, stress release and of course because I love it. If I take a break for a few weeks I really start to feel it and crave running. Perfect way to clear the head.

runner26 said...

Running is the best, isn't it? It's amazing how much better you feel after a run. I'm seriously tired just reading your post-hope your vacay comes quickly!

JojaJogger said...

Glad to hear you got a good run in. I started running to lose weight, now I run so I can eat pizza and ice cream, and also for the stress relief.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh you cute little preggers lady! but you are so right that running provides such a release

Anonymous said...

I found that running totally did away with all the craziness I was feeling because of menopause! Now I am addicted to that "I just ran" X amount of miles feeling!

fancy nancy said...

Amen sister!!! I run to relieve stress too!!! Time to reconnect with me!

lee said...

I definitely run because it makes me feel good. I'm not going to like though, I also do it so I can eat more!

MCM Mama said...

Yep, I totally run for the same reason.

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

Running keeps me sane, I likr myself and everyone else in my life better when I run.

Happy running,
Elena