TAT CN Header

Friday, March 11, 2011

Prenatal Yoga

This is the prenatal yoga DVD I have.
The cover is pretty cheeseball, and Shiva Rea -- the instructor, who, with that name, was destined to be either a stripper or a yoga instructor (I think she chose wisely) -- pretty much delivers on the cheesiness. But despite some of the new-agey voice-over and some phrases she uses that make me roll my eyes, the DVD actually delivers a pretty good 50 minute yoga session.

Granted, I don't think a yoga DVD ever stands up to the opportunity to do yoga in a classroom, but the only prenatal classes offered in my area are on Thursday evenings and I have class on Thursdays, so that's not an option for me. So, the DVD it is.

I bought this when I was preggo with Norah, and did it intermittedly during my 1st and 2nd trimester but found it most valuable during my 3rd trimester. With this pregnancy, I seem to be repeating the same pattern. So far during this pregnancy, today's session with Shiva was my 3rd in the entire course of my nearly 29 weeks, but after doing it today, I am aiming to make this a more frequent part of my weekly activity.

It felt good. All the back stuff especially felt good, but on the whole, it just felt like a nice way to get all the kinks of pregnancy stretched out and feeling better. Plus, I think I need to get to this point in my pregnancy to think of this as a "workout" since it's slow and easy-going, and during the earlier parts of pregnancy, I think it feels too easy and boring. But at this point, down dog in and of itself is a bit of an exertion (but feels ohhhhhh SO glorious).

I wish the women in the video weren't wearing unitards, and I wish Shiva would pipe down on all the "feel the connection with your breath and your baby" business, but all in all, I think I'll be making a point to be engaging with Shiva in a more regular practice. Maybe I should just put her on mute.

13 comments:

Julie D said...

Yeah, I'd hate to listen to those sorts of phrases. I have a Gaiam yoga tape (Rodney Yee)... and sometimes I can't even stand that -- which is minimal!

RunToTheFinish said...

i tried one of shiva's other dvd's and just didn't care for it... but i know a lot of people love her

Anonymous said...

I remember checking out one of her other yoga dvds- didn't know she had a prenatal one too. Glad it is helping out-the mute button sounds like plan to me!

runner26 said...

I do love prenatal yoga, but I go to a class and really like the teacher For me, the teacher has always been key with yoga. I tried a video once and hated it (but I think it was like meditation yoga and i prefer "workout" yoga). It's too bad you can't make the classes, but I think doing yoga in general is great at this point in pregnancy!

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lee said...

I did P90X last year and had to mute it. Fitness video instructors are so annoying.

One of my co-workers is 6 months pregnant and has a lot of back pain. Maybe I'll recommend this to her.

BTW - the previous comment that was deleted was me. I signed in with the wrong address.

NICOLE said...

I used the same DVD. I think your review is right on.

Andy said...

Sounds like a really good idea :) I have been to some yoga sessions and the verbiage does get a bit cheesy from time to time. However, there is no mute button for a live class. I think the best line I have heard yet was "breathe through your lower back bottom."

Wes said...

such a bad attitude. you need to go to remedial "connect with your breath and your baby" classes ;-)

Jess said...

I can't say I've ever tried this lady's DVDs but the people who get all hippy like on yoga DVDs really freak me out. I vote for muting her!

Krissy said...

hahaha...I have a very similar yoga dvd, super cheesy but it works and does make me feel better when I have gotten around to doing it. I find swimming laps in the pool more engaging for me right now but yoga is definitely a great thing when pregnant.

Lin said...

Congrats on keeping up with the yoga. It's funny, the only time I really liked yoga was when I was preggo =) Good luck!

The Mommy said...

I just bought this DVD. Mostly cause there aren't regular prenatal yoga classes offered here, and when they are I learn about them about halfway into the course because they're never advertised!

I agree, a real yoga teacher would always be better. Now if only I could find where I hid that extra cash to pay for my own, private teacher....