TAT CN Header

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn

Yesterday, I was wearing a non-maternity t-shirt (there are a few that are a bit big on me normally, and right now, they just barely stretch over the belly and work for around-the-house-wear). Anyway, I passed by the mirror in our bedroom, and could see the sliver of preggo underbelly peeking out and a line from "Juno" came to mind when the Jason Bateman character observes of a very-pregnant Juno, "That shirt's working hard." That shirt I was wearing yesterday was working very hard; it probably should have been earning time and a half for its efforts ;) Cracks me up to think of that movie while I'm pregnant -- so much of what the sardonic Juno observes about pregnancy is so hilarious, and so right. Today, I was thinking of her heartburn comment: "I have heartburn in my kneecaps!"

Right now, that's how I feel since I seem to have entered into the portion of pregnancy where I get heartburn at the mere sight of food or drink. Thankfully, it's not terrible -- one Tums after eating usually does the trick, and I'm actually kind of fond of the Tums Smoothies. They're kinda like candy.

Still, it'd be nice to be able to eat an orange and not feel a tidal wave of stomach acid creep up my throat. And, I'd love some eggplant parmesan right now, but I'm avoiding marinara sauce like Charlie Sheen is avoiding rehab -- I fear that just giving red sauce a sideways glance might make my esophagus implode.

Ahhh, the joys of pregnancy!

17 comments:

diana said...

I had only had tums smoothies and didn't realize the huge difference between those and regular tums. I went to get some a while back and bought the regular ones and they were so gross and chalky in comparison. I'm taller and 39 weeks, so I'm now at the point where my maternity shirts are working hard!

MCM Mama said...

LOL, I loved that movie!

I had heartburn pretty much my entire pregnancy with Shoo - to the point that I sometimes went to sleep sucking on a tums. Yeah it was fun. One thing that worked really well was papaya. If you like it, it really helps with heartburn. (I hate the stuff, so it was just one more way Shoo tortured me while in utero.)

Julie D said...

Ha ha... that movie was weird, but really funny. Glad you're able to see the humor in it now. =)

NICOLE said...

It happens to all of us - great movie.

lifestudent said...

I was promised that all the heartburn leads to a baby with a full head of hair. I ended up with 9 months of heartburn and a bald baby. Bleh :(

Aka Alice said...

LOL...."I'm avoiding marinara sauce like Charlie Sheen is avoiding rehab..."

Perfect!

I ate so many Tums, all flavors, during pregnancy that I cannot even stand the smell of them now!

Erin said...

I have heartburn all pregnancy. Tums just aren't/weren't cutting it. With Miller, I got Zantac or something like that from the doctor. It made the 3rd trimester so much better. This time around I will be asking as soon as I get over the morning sickness.

Juno is a great movie and I love her take on pregnancy too. I have a feeling my shirts will be working hard with this one. I already feel like a whale.

Marlene said...

I LOVE Juno! Those are some hilarious quotes!!

S Club Mama said...

like Charlie Sheen is avoiding rehab LOL I love Juno too

Wes said...

yuk. hate reflux. when it reaches my knee caps, its over :-)

N.D. said...

that movie totally cracked me up!!

MNFirefly said...

I found that bananas helped with my pregnancy-induced heartburn. Plus papaya extract tablets work too and you can get them at GNC.

Andy said...

Love. Juno.

Tums Smoothies = Delicious.

I laughed so hard for some reason when you wrote the Charlie Sheen comment. Hope you have a good weekend!

Krissy said...

so many parts of that movie cracked me up! and so right on point!

Anonymous said...

Love that movie!! I don't miss that heartburn at all!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

There is something about this post that really shows the writer in you. I just love the way these words flow!

At times here in bloggy-sphere I forget the other demensions of people. Today you reminded me of a deeper Jess. Great job!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

....I was going to say broader Jess but given the pregnancy I figured I shouldn't. heehee ;-)