TAT CN Header

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Summer Oven

First off, thanks to Alice, whose advice helped me fix the paragraph problem in Blogger.  Apparently, I had no idea that I was publishing with an "old" editing format.  Why it suddenly began giving me troubles, I don't know.  As far as I'm concerned, little elves are working cogs inside my computer -- that's about the extent of my comprehension of technology -- so when something goes haywire, I just assume they're drunk.

In other news, the post I had been attempting to post was about the world's most boring, but most universally acceptable, subject: the weather.

It seems that here in South Florida, we went from "spring" to "summer" in the past few days, and even though the timing of this here in the sub-tropics is typical, it seemed to be sudden this year: One day, it was a temperate 72 degrees with moderate humidity, and then, bam!  90F, 80% humidity, and a dew point of 71 degrees.

All I can think right now as I slog through our morning walks is "Thank god I'm not running right now!"  I know, I know, I should be crying my eyes out everyday that I'm sitting the bench in my 3rd trimester, but actually, given the fact that lugging my Titanic heft through a daily walk induces sweating and moderate swelling, I can't imagine the sweating and swelling that would be going on if I were running this daily distance.  I'm not pleased with the change in weather (although, it does make for good beach, pool and water park weather); our "winter" in South Florida is really one of the most desirable elements of living here, so when those lovely conditions begin to dissolve into what will be the next 6 months of heat and humidity, I know I'll adjust, but I'm not happy about it.

I'm trying not to think about how the timing of my intended return to running after the baby is born will be the height of summer.  However, I do have a history of beginning running endeavors (the start of my initial 21 day challenge, marathon training, last year's 100 day streak) in the midst of summer, so I'm sure I'll kickass no matter what.  Still, running would be more enticing if, say, Caleb's due date were, oh, December.

14 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

yes i woke to the humidity yesterday and thought...good bye winter

Carly said...

As much as I hate winter, I think I hate humidity more. I don't know how you Florida people can run during the summer.

I am having a hard time picturing summer when I am still wearing my winter coat and boots.

Anonymous said...

But it's a "wet" heat!

d.a.r. said...

I loved The Help!! Does that redeem me? :)

Mom, inc. said...

First, you do not have a "titanic heft"! You look great! Second, I have no doubt you'll kick ass with your return to running!

Wes said...

I now you preggers types hate hot weather, but we are bouncing all over the scale here in Atlanta. Warm, cold, hot, cold, brrrrr! make up its dayum mind!

Aka Alice said...

First, I just love the name Caleb! :-)

I'm glad I could help. I get really frustrated by Blogger on a regular basis. I think that whenever they do an upgrade to their software on their end, little glitches occur on mine. I'm not sure why that one fix occurred to me. I'm just a nerd :-)

I laughed at your "complaint" about the heat. Even in SoCal we are just starting to see something that resembles spring weather.

Robin said...

As much as I hate winter, I do find it harder to run in the heat and humidity. It slows me way down and seems to zap all my energy. Ironic that I tend to run better in the cold weather that I generally despise!

You'll be so excited to get back to running after the baby is born that I doubt you'll let a little heat and humidity stop you!

Marlene said...

No longer envious!

Julie D said...

It went from 60's to 90's in Southern California, which is nice for a day or two, but I know I'm going to hate it. I can't imagine living in Florida.

N.D. said...

wow I feel like we are going to be stuck in winter FOREVER. I think it's supposed to snow on Friday? april 1? really?

lee said...

It was definitely hot when I was in Florida last weekend. I enjoyed it but didn't really mind going back the the 50 degree weather that we have here.

The Boring Runner said...

Awwww, I wanted to comment on the publix post!! But, alas it is no more. I was just going to comment about how those bastard terrorists are always keeping the kids down

SavvyFitChica said...

Yea, we're going to break a record this week in AZ. 98* on Saturday supposedly which is 2* higher than the record of 96. YUCK! It normally doesn't hit 100 until much later. Not excited about it considering we workout in our garage!