TAT CN Header

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Week Ahead

This upcoming week is gonna be a busy one for me. I've been serving on a hiring committee this academic year, and this week is basically the culmination of what we've been working toward: The on-campus interviews of our top picks. The interviews themselves are fairly rigorous for the candidates (this is for a dean position), but in their own way, they are demanding, time consuming and rigorous for us as interviewers too.

So, this means I have some extra demands on my time this week, and that means Norah will be attending daycare for the full day on Mon, Tues, and Thurs, and on Friday morning, Jerry took the morning off to be with her. My particularly long days will be Monday and Thursday since I'll be on campus by 8:30 am for the interviews and I'll be there until about 9 pm since I have night classes those evenings. I'm definitely not looking forward to those 2 days this week: Not necessarily because I'm dreading the long day (although, 12 hours is a long work day when you're 30 weeks pregnant), but because I'll only see Norah those days for a little bit in the morning before Jerry takes her daycare.

I know that she'll be fine at daycare for the full days, and I know this week's schedule is an exception to our normal routine, but I am still feeling anxiety about how little I'll see her and spend time with her this week. Oh well, like I said, I know it's only one tough week, and by the end of this week, my obligation with the committee will conclude so no more extra meetings this term, and hopefully, we'll have a successful week in terms of interviews and we'll have a successful conclusion to this rather long search.

I wish I could say that I'm looking forward to a cold beer come Friday evening, but alas, I think I may have to settle for some sort of preggo-appropriate treat. But, a cold glass of heartburn-inducing lemonade just doesn't have the same ring to it :)

10 comments:

Marlene said...

Good luck with the busy week! At least it should fly by and you'll get to spend all weekend with Norah in no time!

Alice said...

Good luck on your week. I had a week like that last week, and even at 28 weeks pregnant it sucked so I hope it's easier on you than you expected.

lifestudent said...

Hmm. That sucks. I think you're gonna have to settle for a yummy ice-cream or pastry treat. Perhaps two of them.

MCM Mama said...

I'd still have the beer. ;o)

Hope the week goes ok for all of you and flies by quickly.

Erin said...

Norah will have a blast at DC this week. Miller remembered she would be there this morning and wanted to get to school to see her.

fancy nancy said...

Ugh! I feel your pain but I always try to remind myself that it is harder on her than me! Hang in there and treat yourself to something yummy!!

Wes said...

You're a good Mom. Norah will be fine! Do your best, be happy!!

:-)

Being Robinson said...

good luck with a busy week. there has got to be non-alcoholic beer out there for you... hopefully the week goes quickly!

NICOLE said...

Hope the week goes fast. I'm worried about leaving W in August with Tom and my MIL so don't worry at least you will get to see her in the AM. Just another rite of passage of being a mom.

Julie D said...

Wow, that must be a good experience to participate in that process. I was once a student interview panel member for a faculty interview. We actually had lunch with the guy. This was maybe 3 years ago. They ended up hiring the guy but not for the types of courses they had hoped for, lol.