TAT CN Header

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nearly There

My long week has nearly come to its conclusion: I just have class tonight and then meetings tomorrow and then I'm free! Well...free until Monday when my normal schedule of part-time momming in the morning and full-time teaching in the afternoon/evening resume; still, after this week that schedule will seem relaxing.

Anyhoo, today was another one of those long days sitting in a conference room with my belly resting uncomfortably on the tops of my thighs and my back and ass aching from sitting for so long. So, after our interviews and after I caught up on some of my own work, I took a little break and went for a walk around campus in order to get outside and get a little exercise in.

And, I guess I hadn't fully realized that while it's still comfortable and cool in the mornings and evenings here in South Florida, it turns out that at 4 pm, it's pretty hot out. Like low 80s, starting to feel a bit humid out there (although, at 50% humidity, that's NUTHIN compared to summer -- in fact, come July, 50% humidity will feel downright arid). Now, I know that's not what most of you want to read right now -- especially those who were just recently pounded by fresh, spring snow -- but, trust me, it wasn't as glorious as it may sound.

Granted, it was lovely to get outside and get some fresh air and some sun, but when I returned to my office, I found both my hands and feet a bit swollen. Enough so that I took my wedding ring off for a bit, and that ring, even when pregnant, often is a little loose on me.

Oh, and there was also that lovely feeling that I like to refer to as "sweaty underwear syndrome."

Those who have been, or are, pregnant know what I mean: You don't even have to actually exercise, and it seems like a pregnant woman sweats through her undies at the drop of a hat. It's just simple physics: That fabric that occupies the inch or so space where you have the top of your thigh and the beginning of your belly doesn't stand a chance at staying completely dry.

By now, my wedding ring fits comfortably again, and my feet feel a bit less sweaty, but man, I sure do wish I had a spare-pair 'o undies in my purse! I've got diapers, baby wipes, a pacifier, and a pair of Norah's socks in there -- you'd think I could find a little space to store something handy for me!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn this blog loads fast - easy to comment too!

Julie D said...

Yeah, I think you could squeeze another thing in your bag. That humidity (summer) sounds awful.

Heather said...

Undies don't take up much space. Although it would be awkward if you pulled them out with your wallet at the gas station.

teacherwoman said...

50% humidity does sound good right now! :)

MCM Mama said...

LMAO - sweaty undies seem to be the topic around the blogoshere today. ;o)

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Hmmm, sweaty undies ... probably just gonna back away now! Have a good one???

Unknown said...

great post, love your work

N.D. said...

haha you make me laugh

lee said...

I'm coming to your neck of the woods this weekend to visit my grandmother (in Pompano Beach, I think you're near there) and I have to admit, I'm looking forward to warm and humid weekend. Although, I guess I need to pack extra underwear.

Erin said...

Glad the week is almost done too. I sit 99% of my day for work but when you have to sit for interviews (pregnant or not) there is something about the posture, chairs, and "stress" that makes it so uncomfortable. Glad you got out for a walk. I made 4 or 5 trips between buildings yesterday. That's like running a half marathon for me! It felt good but I also had a case of the sweaty undies. No swollen appendages yet. I can barely wait for that fun to start.

fancy nancy said...

Cracking me up! I have so much crap in my bag but nothing useful for me!!!

I went to Miami when I was pregnant with Em and found the only way to describe it was like being on the surface of the sun!

chris mcpeake said...

Awesome post.

Marlene said...

This may sound sick, but I will keep our snow and temps slightly below freezing over 80 degrees. I MELT in 80 degrees!

Have a great weekend!!!

Agate Lake Girl said...

I think sweaty underwear is an issue for more than just the pregnant ladies out there - especially in Florida!