TAT CN Header

Saturday, January 07, 2012

First Week Tally

Aside from being sick in the middle of the week, I still managed to abide by my 2012 running goals: Record my mileage, not allow more than 2 days to come between runs, and work to regain HM shape.

I have been recording my runs, and even though I was down for the count with the barfs mid-week, I really only missed one planned run, and my weekly mileage was 18 miles.  I'd been originally shooting for 22 miles, but 18 is fine, considering.

This morning, I capped off the week with an 8 miler.  I was slow as heck, but I'm trying not to let it bother me (still does, though).  I know I'll get faster the more consistent I am; I've done it before, and I can do it again.  But, what's most important is that I got it done, and in all honesty, it felt great.  We're enjoying some really temperate weather right now, so it was a PERFECT morning for a run.  And for many reasons, I really enjoy running mid-distance runs of 8-13 miles: It feels like a challenge, but not too much of one.  I get done and feel like I accomplished something, even if nothing else of significance gets done throughout the day.

On a random note, my Garmin 310 has been inaccurately recording my mileage for awhile now.  I know most of my routes by heart, so I know when it's off.  At first I thought it just always needed a fully charged battery, but that didn't seem to help.  So, this morning, I left the 310 at home and took my bulkier, but more reliable, 305.  Gotta love the 305!

Really, the only advantage to the 310 has been its size; otherwise, I have been completely disappointed in that Garmin.  Maybe I should just sell it on eBay and exclusively rely on the 305.  Anyone interested in an inconsistent (but lightweight!) 310? ;)

9 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

305, 310 whatever it takes........ Never heard of that issue with any of the GPS before...

Marlene said...

Weird, I've never heard of that either! That would drive me nuts.

Glad you got in a good week despite a case of the sickies. Nice work. I missed more than I care to admit with my "cold". Doh!

Ryan said...

Good work, that is a lot of miles. More than I usually drive on a Saturday....

Unknown said...

I love how your "mid distance" runs are my longest runs. :o)

MNFirefly said...

I have found my 210 be more reliable than my older 205. Have you checked to see if you need any update in the software from Garmin?

runner26 said...

8 miles is great!! good for you! bummer about the garmin - just another example of technology not meant to work forever. glad you had a backup.

Anonymous said...

How are you recording your mileage? I usually use a spreadsheet, but decided to start using daily mile and I love it!

Carolina John said...

hmmmmmm. I really want a 310xt for it's waterproof glory and lightweight. fwiw, our 205 has some serious inconsistencies on out and back routes. like, a tenth of a mile off at the end.

Julie D said...

Ha ha... I even feel that my Garmin 405 is inaccurate (with pace) most of the time! Yay for the 3-miler. I still struggle to get those in, but they always feel so good and don't take *too* long.