TAT CN Header

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Sleeping vs. Running

Running has been sporadic as of late.

I often go to bed with these grand ambitions about getting up early and knocking it out at 5 am, but then that dark hour rolls around, and I decide: "Nah.  I'm gonna sleep!"

Granted, Caleb is sleeping through the night now, so I'm getting more rest now than I did for 3 months, but I'm still tired (my ideal vacation right now would mean taking a weekend away and just sleeping that entire time: beaches? resorts?  fancy restaurants?  no thanks, I just want to sleep all day and all night).  So when it comes to choosing whether I sleep or run, I usually choose sleep.

And who am I kidding?  I've never been a morning person, and morning running has always been a struggle for me -- even pre-kids -- so I can't blame them (entirely) for my inability to get out of bed in the morning.  It's just that now, with kids, that ungodly, inhuman hour is often my only choice.  So, how to make it not my only choice?

I never thought I'd say it: But...I do wish we had a treadmill.  I've diligently avoided treadmills for years, but now I am seeing how they may be a necessary evil -- it may be boring, but at least it provides a method for getting it done (especially when it's either too dark or too hot out).  The problem for us is where to put a giant piece of machinery like that?  We live in a 2 bedroom condo.  And with 2 kids, a dog, and a bazillion toys, where does one find the space?  I don't know, but I think a side-project may involve somehow finding that space.

That, or I actually have to get out of bed at 5 am.  Ugh.  Gotta find some space...We don't really need a dining room table, right?

16 comments:

Robin said...

I love having a treadmill for the convenience but I sure hate running on it!

Good luck finding some space for it!

BrianFlash said...

With the heat and humidity you put up with, the new (potential) treadmill may get a lot more use then you foresee!

Marlene said...

Don't blame you for letting sleep win. Sleep rules.

Hope you can find a spot for a treadmill!

fancy nancy said...

Your body has been through a lot so it is no surprise that sleep wins. I LOVE sleep!!!

We had a treadmill at our other house and it was awesome in a pinch. Em would nap and I would go down. I miss it now!

MCM Mama said...

Hang in there!

I never would have survived the last 6 years without my treadmill. I'm also unable to get up early to run, so it's saved my butt many a time.

Good luck!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I love having mine! Without it I'm a worry mess about how and when I can get my run in. When I am in PA, if I miss the morning I know that I can squeeze it in rain or shine later. As long as we have power. ;-)

Good luck creating space.

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

This is a common theme for me! Now that I don't have to do long runs, I am not getting up on Sunday mornings to do a short run!

I will probably make the same post as you when my baby is born and I am back running. Good news is that I do have a treadmill but I much prefer to run outside.

Dining room tables are highly overrated...

TNTcoach Ken said...

LMAO! I have a spinning class highlighted for 6:30 AM and have yet to make it! Sleep is like Gold! You can transform a closet into a treadmill room, just hang your cloths on the mill after each run!

Running 365 said...

My husband was sure we NEEDED one when we first got married and has since used it about 3 times. He also insisted on the cheapest one (I never advocate for the cheapest of anything because it's usually a hunk of junk.) and it sounds like it's going to fall apart when you run on it. I've used it more than that but I've hated every minute of it. It's in our bedroom and it's an eyesore, but I can't quite bring myself to get rid of it because it would be convenient when we have little kids and can't get out.

Unknown said...

Put your treadmill in the living room next to the couch! Watching tv and running is great! Or get a double running stroller and hoof it with the kids a little later. I do both!

Crissy Rae said...

I have those same thoughts and I don't have kids so I can totally understand why you would choose sleep over running. I tried to get up early myself this morning. It lasted as long as it took me to reset the alarm :)

Beth said...

Just found your blog and am enjoying it! My kids are teenagers now, but when they were really little we got our first treadmill. It gave me the mental sanity I needed. Even if I only had 20 minutes I could jump on it and get a walk in and feel better. Good luck making room!

Aka Alice said...

We are on mill #2. the first one was the fold up kind. It lasted about five or six years before the motor died. I did like it because I could just leave it in the corner of our bedroom and it didn't take up too much space. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the thing, but when the kids were younger, or when it's too hot, or too cold, or too late to run outside, it does come in handy...

Amber said...

I'm having the same issues. Sleep won this morning!

I comfort myself by thinking that my body needs sleep, too, so I'm doing something healthy, even if I'm not running!

Corrina said...

Do you have a garage? That's where my treadmill is! Our home is pretty small and there is no were inside for it. Sometimes I feel silly with the garage door open to a nice morning or day and I'm running. But that way sometimes I can run during naptime, or later in the evening after kids are asleep.

Anonymous said...

Sleep is king around here, too. I used to be a morning runner, but after baby, that's not even an option. She's an early bird (usually up by 6:30), and I couldn't run before she wakes without pumping first, anyway, so it's just a no-go. I'm now an evening runner and it works great for me!