TAT CN Header

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Powered by Pseudoephedrine

Still experiencing the symptoms of a cold, but because the symptoms are restricted to the neck up, I am still working and going about my daily activities like normal. With a little help from an over-the-counter decongestant, and a few Advil, I'm able to pretty much maintain my status as a well-oiled Jess-machine. This includes keeping up with the routine runs, and tonight I did my planned 3 miler in 27:58. By no means my fastest 3 miler, but it is faster than what my 3 milers have averaged in the past few months.

Sure, I could attribute the speed in part to the improved weather conditions here in South Florida as of late, and yeah sure, I could also attribute the speed to my anger (had a "slightly" frustrating day with students -- in short, I threatened some with a "pistol whipping," but that got more laughs than tears of fear and anxiety: I just haven't yet mastered the art of intimidation), but I choose to attribute my bullet-train speed this evening to the super powers granted to me by the generic brand decongestant.

As far as I know, the US Track and Field has not yet banned it from use in regulated races, so perhaps with even cooler weather and a truckload of pseudoephedrine, I could be the next Paula Radcliffe. Without the nagging injuries, of course.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you can still run and move about.
Where is the respect from kids these days? Good luck with them

Unknown said...

Good thing the cold isn't keeping you down.

Hmmm. Maybe I should try a run fueled on cold meds...

Anonymous said...

Glad you are hanging in there. I've done the pseudoephedrine running before (and am hoping not to be doing the marathon with it).

Tina Mickelson said...

yea girl, use the anger... and the cold meds to get you through. I didn't run today, not because I'm feeling like crap (which I do by the way) but because I have my littlest booger had a cold. of course he hugs and kisses all over me so guess how I got sick. Wishing you a good running week.

teacherwoman said...

Oh glad to hear you too, are feeling okay... not great, but sounds like you are feeling okay.

Ahh the art of intimidation. I was trying to master that today with my 4th graders. I just felt like I kept repeating myself and my voice was getting louder each time. Finally, I just stopped, crossed my arms and waited to see how long it would take them to notice. Needless to say, they were scared shitless, dropped their pencils and shut their mouths and just waited.

I think you might need something more drastic for the older kids...

Wes said...

Remind me to never make you mad!! Yea, that whole neck up thing is OK for TRYING to carry on as normal. I hope you kick it to the curb soon!

Casey said...

Wow nice run! Way to get out there even though you weren't feeling your best! Great pace. Maybe you should get a cold more often!!

MNFirefly said...

Nice run! I hope you feel better soon.

nwgdc said...

Great point. Who would want to run like Paula?! She's always injured!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the run. Glad you are starting to feel better. If one of my teachers mentioned "pistol whipping" I think I would have laughed too.

Marlene said...

Now that our winter weather has made an appearance, I'm probably going to have a perma-cold. Maybe I should try some of your tricks.

Good to hear it's not stopping you, and awesome 5K!

Unknown said...

Get well soon !!! Hope you feel better !!

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! I guess if you want to strike fear into their hearts you have to threaten them with "F"s?!?

Jess said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better

and I am laughing my butt off at the mental image of you threatening to pistol whip a bunch of kids hahahah

MN Mom said...

Sounds like a win win.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ah yes, performance enhancing drugs.... All of my drugs of choice are de-enhancing my performance...

chia said...

Sweet trot girly!! Do I need to come down there and issue some urban combat on their punk asses? Don't make me fly down there ;-)

P.O.M. said...

Ha ha. My last cold, my doc gave me prescription strength! I was a total crack head for a week. Lost a few lbs from lack of appetite too.

Hope you feel better soon.

J~Mom said...

I might need to switch meds!

runner26 said...

Pistol whipping?!? Hilarious!

keith said...

Are you sure they haven't banned that stuff? If they haven't they should...that stuff is magic.

Of course ya know that's what my neighbors make their meth out of...