TAT CN Header

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Fay-Day

TS Fay Update: As of now, forecasters are predicting that South Florida will be out of the "cone" for Fay, and the storm will most likely hit the west coast of the state, and here, we will probably just experience TS weather on Monday and Tuesday. Still, as a precautionary, the county schools have closed. The colleges have not. However, this is gonna be an issue for classes tomorrow, I just know it. Why? Well, it's the first day of fall semester: That means lots of first time college students, and they will hear on the news that the county schools are closed; they will assume this means the colleges as well; they will not double check news reports to confirm. I'm not saying all of them will think that, but many of them will, so I expect first day attendance to be low -- and then I'll get a flood of email that says: "Professor, I'm so sorry I wasn't in class, I thought school was closed."

Anyone want to wager that I'll be mistaken? I could use some extra cash.

Aside from the storm news, I did get out this evening for a 6 miler, and it went pretty well. With the TS looming near Cuba, we're already getting some early bands of thunderstorms, so while it is still humid out there, the temps are a bit cooler, so that was nice. I still wasn't very fast, but I ran a comfortable pace, and finished up in 1:00:45.

One excellent thing that could happen because of this possible storm is that after it passes through, we could have a few days of cooler weather. Typically, after a major storm (tropical or hurricane), cool, crisp air follows for a few days -- something to do with pressure systems and other meteorological shiz I don't understand. I remember the week after Wilma, in 2005, as the coolest, driest air I think I've ever experienced here in South Florida, so perhaps Fay could usher in a little of that for us.

15 comments:

Erin said...

I am not wagering against you. I agree, attendance will be low and you will be flooded with emails. Good luck! Hopefully this year is filled with intelligent students ;) (which I think I spelled intelligent wrong...go figure).

Viv said...

I am glad SoFLo is in the clear. Way to get in the 6 miler in. Goodluck with tomorrow I am sure it will be a cluster eff of I thought we did not have school and blah blahs...Ahh what a a first day.

Anonymous said...

Nice run! Glad to hear that Fay is likely to miss you guys, but hope she does bring some cooler weather for you.

chia said...

Welcome to fall semester. Jeez where did summer go?

I certainly hope they are right and you guys are in the clear!

Sounds like a nice relaxing run! Heres to upcoming crisp temps!!!

E said...

I'm not betting with you either as I'm pretty sure students will pull the "I thought there was no school" line on you.

Glad to hear Fay won't be affecting you.

Anonymous said...

I would not trust the "Cone of Uncertainty" until that sucker actually comes ashore and officially dies out. Reference Allison in Houston in 2001...

TonyP said...

No wagering from me. I grew up in Miami (12 years) and know all about hurricane readiness.

Great got on the 6 miler.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you guys aren't going to be slammed. I hope you are right and get a few days of cooler temps.

Good luck on the first day of the semester.

Stuart said...

Fingers corssed all you get is the afterblow to bask in

sunshine said...

You seem so calm, even going out for a run, and there's a TS headed your way. I'd be totally freakig out! :)

Good luck with your first day of school. :)

Marcy said...

I gotta agree. No bets against you from me. Have fun reading their excuses :P On the bright side won't that mean most of the "fo reallys into school" students will be the ones showing up that day? Might be nice to have one day of peace HAHA

Anonymous said...

no no no we're not cancelled today- :) Hip hip hooray! :) now tomorrow could be another story. I'm in Palm Beach County.

Wes said...

Batten down the hatches and stay safe!!!

Neese said...

I think you will be spot on with that prediction! I also hope they are right about the "cone" prediction and it avoids you all.

lifestudent said...

I hate how they close all schools with weather issues except for universities. We had a lot of snow issues last year and I had excuse after excuse about kids missing class due to the snow. Most of the high schools and elementary schools are closed anyway, so why do they force the "big kids" to go? In fact, its worse cuz when little kids have school closings one of the parents has to take off work too - but universities have grown ups who dont need mommy or daddy (in most cases) to stay home with them. Thanks for letting me rant.

Hope the storm misses you and that your only noticable effect is some sort of cooling in temps and lowering in humidity ;)