TAT CN Header

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hottest Year Ever

If you have been thinking that this summer feels hotter than any previous summer, you would be right. According to weather experts, this year is the hottest recorded year so far. The only other year with comparable heat was 1934 (the middle of the Dust Bowl). And the summer's not over yet!

Plus, according to the National Climatic Data Center, we are having record heats at night as well; the atmosphere is retaining more mositure so it's trapping hot air close to the earth, and that's why it doesn't feel a whole lot cooler when we go for our runs after the sun has set. No wonder I'm such a sweaty monkey when I return from my runs (and I've been keeping them around 3 miles lately because I just get so hot on anything much longer).

So, make sure you're keeping cool and hydrated. I don't want reports of spontaneous human combustion filtering through the blogosphere!

4 comments:

D said...

Hi, I like your blog :-) I live in Florida too. I've been here two years and seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time in the summer complaining about the humidity. I keep trying to develop some kind of stoic mentality but it's not working! Oh, I saw that you're going to run the Disney marathon. I ran it last year. My favorite part is through the Magic Kingdom.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Oof. It's finally cooling down a bit here (my run tonight was in the upper 70s). Hopefully there's some relief in sight for you southern folks soon.

I feel like you've given us one of those magic reading rainbow moments...or in this case, since it's all sciency...a Mr. Wizard moment. :)

Dubs said...

Well, glad to hear we aren't all whining -- nice to see some facts that back it to keep us sane. On the other hand - not so good with the global warming bit.

MNFirefly said...

I am not complaining now. The weather is much better now.