TAT CN Header

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Holy Hell, It's Hot!

Yesterday and the day before, the counties of South Florida issued "heat exhaustion warnings" and people were advised to not exercise outside, and if you work outside, it was advised that you take frequent breaks and drink plenty of water. The temps are not higher than usual for this time of year, but after weeks of cooling rain, the sudden heat does feel overwhelming. Yesterday, with humidity, it was 99 degrees out.

I know that everyone else across the country is broiling as well at this time of year, but I really can't accurately describe how South Florida can literally feel like a steam room: You walk outside and your sunglasses fog over, your car can be 120-140 degrees if it's been sitting in the afternoon sun, and condensation builds up along windows of apartment and office buildings. Merely standing with the dog outside makes me sweat.

So, yesterday I caved and went to the gym to run on the treadmill. I eeked out three miles, but barely. Not because my body was tired, but because I was mind-numbingly bored. While I do listen to music on the treadmill, there's nothing for me to look at but the digital numbers slowly ticking off the time and distance, and you know watched pots -- they supposedly never boil, same idea concerning watched treadmills.

Today is a cross training day, so that offers a little more variety at the gym, but tomorrow when I'm back to a run, I don't know what I'll do. I have three options: get up early, face the treadmill again, or wait until late evening (like 9 pm). Ugh.

5 comments:

Junie B said...

ive decided that my weekly training runs (3-5 miles) will be done on the treadmill. my weekly long run will be done at 5am.

double ugh!

Anonymous said...

You should try listening to audio books while on the treadmill. I have never tried it but it might help keep your interest longer. Or it might bore the hell out of you. You just never know.

Brooke said...

It also helps to cover the display with a towel. It keeps me from staring at it so desparately.

Michele said...

I feel your pain. Last treadmill run I did was suppose to be 6 miles and I quit at 3 from boredom.

MNFirefly said...

I can relate to the heat. I am so sick and tired of it. I would rather be outside instead of on the treadmill, but what can you do?